• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

So who's doing this?

But it's disgusting, and geese are delicious to eat.

Also, there are such huge flocks of them that it would really take a huge campaign to kill them all. I doubt many people are seriously suggesting that. If anything, they'd suggest hunting some of them, and I would support that.

Well, using the same logic, you could say there is certainly an overpopulation of dogs, and they even might be delicious (I wouldn't know.) Who cares if they're cute? :blink:

You think geese are cute? Have you ever had a big cob hiss at you?

As for an overpopulation of wild or stray dogs, I won't prejudge what I'd want done unless I experienced it. I suspect that if wild dog shit were on every square 2 inches of grass in every park, many people would want to do something about it.

Michael aka "Pan"

well, the bear turned out pretty tasty.

as i said, it was prepared in an asian style. more like thai than chinese, though.

the texture was not all that different than beef. most of the pieces were thinly sliced, which made them quite tender.

the flavor was beef-like, and just a little gamey.

all-in-all it was pretty good. although it felt a little odd eating meat that was shot and butchered by someone i know. but then again, i don't know many people who hunt.

i've never felt so much like Ted Nugent in my life. but, i think i'll stick to animals that are slaughtered by the thousands in big factories that exist in places that i know nothing about.

But it's disgusting, and geese are delicious to eat.

Only some of them. I've had smoked Canada Goose and it is really unpleasant. Bitter, strong, and posessed of all the unpleasant aspects of "gamey" meat without any of the pleasant attributes.

It makes sense... they must have the evolutionary advantage of being unpalateable to shotgun wielding humans, otherwise we'd likely have done them in by now... or at least made them a lot less numerous.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch