• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in San Diego

Bashful3

I'll be in San Diego the first of the year and need two nice places (preferably fine dining) to take 3 people for a business/get together/holiday dinner. Any rec--fortunately $$ is of no consideration--

Thanks in advance--

WIGS21

I'll be in San Diego the first of the year and need two nice places (preferably fine dining) to take 3 people for a business/get together/holiday dinner.  Any rec--fortunately $$ is of no consideration--

Thanks in advance--

Geographically San Diego covers a lot of territory, where will you be? Downtown, Mission Valley, La Jolla, Sorrento Valley or other parts north or south? Will you have a car?

I'll be in San Diego the first of the year and need two nice places (preferably fine dining) to take 3 people for a business/get together/holiday dinner.  Any rec--fortunately $$ is of no consideration--

Thanks in advance--

Mille Fleur

Georges at the Cove

Arterra

J. Taylor

El Bizcocho

A.R. Valentien

I forgot Region: http://www.regionrestaurant.com/

All great choices. I would add The Marine Room and Tapenade in La Jolla. Also, I read a great review of the updated Star of the Sea Room that really made me want to try it after many years, but I haven't made it there yet. It might be a tad romantic for what you are looking for though.

No, Laurel would not be considered too romantic for dinner. In addition to the wonderful suggestions already posted, here a few more (in no particular order) that are closer to downtown.

Bertrands at Mister A's

Oceanaire

Trattoria La Stada

Top of the Market at the Fish Market

Dobson's

Acqua Al 2

The Palm (opened within the last 2 weeks)

Blue Point Costal

Dakota Grill (can sometimes be spotty)

Azzura Point in Coronado at the Loewe's resort

Peohe's (a notch, maybe two, down from fine dining, but truly spectacular view and you can take the water taxi over to Coronado and land right on their dock)

Parallel 33 - also not fine dining in teh true sense of the phrase, but consistently some of the best and most interesting food in San Diego.

A little further north --

Baci on Morena Blvd. off the I-5

Fresh (La Jolla)

Donovan's Steak House

Maitre'D Restaurant - I have not eaten here but a friend has and said the food is fabulous, impeccable service. I understand that it is a tough reservation to snag and frequented by old-school money.

In addition to the above, all the major steakhouse players are represented in downtown San Diego - Flemings, Ruth Chris's, Morton's and, as noted above, The Palm just opened a couple of weeks ago to generally good reviews.

Edited by kalypso (log)

Highly, highly HIGHLY recommend Region. One of my best friends lives in SD and I visit her somewhat often -- usually the main complaint I have is the restaurants, though fun, aren't usually up to snuff for a San Francisco girl. But Region is all about cooking Italian fresh/local/seasonal, and the food is amazing. It's a nice upscale place with a casual attitude -- great wine list, fabulous service and recommendations, and they're nice enough to let some folks do the full on chef's tasting without forcing everyone to, if they don't want to. There's a sort of back room, too, not separate from the main dining room, where you could secret yourselves away if you want to talk business without prying ears.

wigs21 et al.,

Here are some links to the various restaurants mentioned:

Mille Fleurs

George's at the Cove

Arterra

J. Taylor

El Bizcocho at Rancho Bernardo Inn

A.R. Valentien at the Lodge Torrey Pines

The Marine Room at the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club

Tapenade

Star of the Sea Room

Pamplemousse Grill

Laurel

Region

Sorry, kalypso, I didn't include your list. I felt a bit ... overwhelmed.

It sounds like the San Diego dining scene is improving from its college town partying/drinking image of the past.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

kalypso et al.,

Here's your restaurant list with links to their websites:

Bertrands at Mister A's

Oceanaire

Trattoria La Strada

Fish Market

Dobson's

Acqua Al 2 (as in, Acqua al due)

The Palm

Blue Point, Coastal Cuisine

Dakota Grill & Spirits

Azzura Point at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort

Peohe's

Parallel 33

Baci Ristorante

Fresh, Seafood Restaurant & Bar

Donovan's Steak & Chop House

Maitre'D Restaurant (could not find their website, may not have one)

I presume with all these fine dining restaurant links in the San Diego area, one should be able to find a place for one's dining pleasure. Enjoy!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Wow, Russell, thanks for taking the time to enter all those links. Now I feel like a heel for not doing it myself :wacko:

Yes, the dining scene in SD has changed a lot in recent years. It doesn't rival NYC, SF, Chicago or even LA by any stretch of the imagination, but then again, San Diego isn't that kinda town to start with.

The Gaslamp is nearly all restaurants. Certainly not all of them are fine dining restaurants, but it's not that difficult now to find a relatively decent meal downtown or in La Jolla. A little judicious selection is all it takes.

Thanks again for your efforts in entering my list. And no, I don't think that Maitre 'D has a web page. It's one of those really old school, clubby places where they're happy with their current (well heeled) clientele and do not need to actively solicit additional business.

Edited by kalypso (log)

Thank you all so much for your recommendations--I was going to try out Mille Fleurs and Region (based on how many positive remarks are out there) but alas, my trip was cancelled. However, I'm going to keep this thread bookmarked and the next time I'm headed out that way, I'll definately try those places and let you know about my experiences.

Thanks again--

WIGS21

• 1 month later...

I am the best man planning a bachelor party in San Diego this June. I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations for:

1) Nice steakhouses for dinner

2) Nice italian restaurants for dinner

3) Paricularly fun bars in San Diego.

Thanks in advance,

Craig.

I am the best man planning a bachelor party in San Diego this June.  I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations for:

1) Nice steakhouses for dinner

2) Nice italian restaurants for dinner

Thanks in advance,

Craig.

Well, I'm hoping some of my fellow San Diegans will chime in right quick, as neither steakhouses, Italian restaurants, or party-type bars are my usual hangouts. But until they show, let me throw in at least a couple of possibilities:

Steakhouses: we've got the usual high-end national chain suspects (Morton's, Ruth's Chris), but I am told on excellent authority (thanks, mmm-yoso!) that you can have a tasty old-school indy steakhouse experience at Bully's East.

Fun bars--there are tons of wild 'n' crazee bars in the Gaslamp District downtown, and more of same in Pacific Beach, but I would also like to put in a good word for Humphrey's by the Bay on Shelter Island. They have some pretty tasty bar munchies plus an adjoining restaurant; their recently-renovated Backstage Lounge has a regular rotation of decent-to-excellent live bar bands (okay, I'm slightly biased because several of my musician friends and acquaintances have bands that play there regularly); and by the time June rolls around Humphrey's will be knee-deep in their terrific Outdoor Concert Series which books a variety of major national acts. Methinks you could put together a pretty fab bachelor party weekend by booking an overnight suite (the Humphrey's complex includes a hotel) on a night of a great Outdoor Concert show--do the concert, adjourn to the lounge afterwards to keep the party going, then adjourn to the suite for after-hours partying...and crashing, for those too schnockered to be safe behind the wheel. Even better, this whole place is right on the water--you've got a marina on one side and a beach on the other, in case your group wants to also get in some water-frolicking time.

Edited by mizducky (log)

.............Humphrey's by the Bay on Shelter Island. They have some pretty tasty bar munchies plus an adjoining restaurant; their recently-renovated Backstage Lounge has a regular rotation of decent-to-excellent live bar bands (okay, I'm slightly biased because several of my musician friends and acquaintances have bands that play there regularly); and by the time June rolls around Humphrey's will be knee-deep in their terrific Outdoor Concert Series which books a variety of major national acts. Methinks you could put together a pretty fab bachelor party weekend by booking an overnight suite (the Humphrey's complex includes a hotel) on a night of a great Outdoor Concert show--do the concert, adjourn to the lounge afterwards to keep the party going, then adjourn to the suite for after-hours partying...and crashing, for those too schnockered to be safe behind the wheel. Even better, this whole place is right on the water--you've got a marina on one side and a beach on the other, in case your group wants to also get in some water-frolicking time.

Ellen~

I am with you on that! Have had some fantastic dinners and great concerts (Jonny Lang :wub: and time in the Lounge with your buddies, ROCKOLA ) I've always wanted to get a room there the night of the concert---that'd be PERFECT !

San Diego has all the usual suspects as far as steakhouses go. Morton's, The Palm, Ruth Chris, etc. Here are some alternatives that might also work for you

Bully's

This is one of the oldest steak houses in San Diego. It is very good, but decidedly more casual than most of the rest. It's a little frayed around the edges, but the locals don't care. Bully's might also fit into your "fun bar" category. Their bar area is fairly large and caters to the office crowd in Missin Valley. There are 3 or 4 mounted TVs tuned to sports (no sound) and a pretty decent bar menu. Big plus is their bar tenders know how to mix a good cocktail. This is primarily a happy hour bar, it thins out considerably after about 6:30 or 7 PM.

Donavan's Steak House

Located in La Jolla's Golden Triangle. Many consider this to be the best steak house in San Diego. It is very popular as well as being very good.

If your going to be more centrally located then Dobson's Bar & Restaurant in the Gaslamp Quarter would be a good choice.

A lot of people also like Lou & Mickey's and The Strip Club (sorry I don't have a link) downtown in the Gaslamp Quarter for steaks.

The Italian options in San Diego are rather hit or miss. The two most widely known - Fillipi's and Nicolosi's - aren't exactly what you're looking for. But you do have choices

Baci Ristorante is favored by the upscale and politically connected in the city.

La Strada

Is a downtown favorite. Food can be uneven at times, though usually pretty good.

Trattoria Acqua

Good Italian in La Jolla

de Medici's

In the Gaslamp Quarter

Panevino

Another Gaslamp favorite

il Fornaio

I know this is a chain, but I'm mentioning it for two reasons. First, the food is actually pretty good and second, it's in Coronado right on the bay and has a fabulous setting and view. You can take the water ferry across the bay and then walk to the restaurant (it's about 1/2 a block or less).

Seau's in Mission Valley is a very popular sports bar. It's owned and operated by San Diego native Junior Seau, former All-Pro linebacker with the Chargers, now with Miami. There is a bar on the top of the roof of the Marriott across the street from Petco Park. I'm not sure how active it is, but it's not a bad place to start the evening with a drink or two. There is a House of Blues in the Gaslamp and a bar call Confidential, both of which are generating good buzz. There are tons of bars and clubs in the Gaslamp, your best best may be to just wander there until you find a club that suits your groups' tastes.

Enjoy your visit and have a great time.

I can't recommend a steak place, but an Italian place that is really nice, with incredible food that's all local and seasonal is Region. They have a big table in the back of the main dining room that's part of the room but also semi-separate, if you wanted to get a bit loud without interrupting anyone else's dinner. It's very upscale, less in a stuffy way than in an "it's all about the food" way, and the wine list is AMAZING. The best food I've had in SD after a handful of visits over the last few years.

The other place that might be fun for a drink and which serves HUGE portions of really great Nuevo Latino-influenced Tex Mex fare is Indigo Grill. When I say huge portions, I am not kidding -- the chocolate cake, for example, comes with 3 scoops of ice cream and could easily feed 3 hungry men. You get tons for your money and the atmosphere is really upbeat and fun. The bar is a great scene, too, and I think it's in/near Little Italy which is a good spot for finding Italian places.

Have fun!

Bully's

This is one of the oldest steak houses in San Diego.  It is very good, but decidedly more casual than most of the rest.  It's a little frayed around the edges, but the locals don't care.  Bully's might also fit into your "fun bar" category.  Their bar area is fairly large and caters to the office crowd in Missin Valley.  There are 3 or 4 mounted TVs tuned to sports (no sound) and a pretty decent bar menu.  Big plus is their bar tenders know how to mix a good cocktail.  This is primarily a happy hour bar, it thins out considerably after about 6:30 or 7 PM.

Ah... the good old Bully's. After all these years. If memory serves correctly, they have another Bully's at La Jolla too. Does that Bully's still exist?

There is another glass-house like restaurant along I-8 underneath I-15. Flanagan's, is it? Is it any good?

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

For Steakhouses, I can second the recommendation for Donovan's. Flemmings is also pretty good too.

Finding a fun restaurant in SD is not terribly hard (IMO), since La Jolla has so many great places (esp seafood) with a great ocean view. The great view and atmosphere must subconsciously make the food taste better. :laugh:

Edited by Macarons&Mozart (log)

Bully's

This is one of the oldest steak houses in San Diego.  It is very good, but decidedly more casual than most of the rest.  It's a little frayed around the edges, but the locals don't care.  Bully's might also fit into your "fun bar" category.  Their bar area is fairly large and caters to the office crowd in Missin Valley.  There are 3 or 4 mounted TVs tuned to sports (no sound) and a pretty decent bar menu.  Big plus is their bar tenders know how to mix a good cocktail.  This is primarily a happy hour bar, it thins out considerably after about 6:30 or 7 PM.

Ah... the good old Bully's. After all these years. If memory serves correctly, they have another Bully's at La Jolla too. Does that Bully's still exist?

There is another glass-house like restaurant along I-8 underneath I-15. Flanagan's, is it? Is it any good?

Bully's in La Jolla is still there, but the one is Missio Valley is still the location of choice. They do an excellent steak, but their prime rib is even better, and they do both for a lot less than their more upscale brethern. Certainly no elegance or pretense here :biggrin:

I-8 and I-15 is pretty much Qualcomm Stadium and hillside office buildings. But back in the 70's and 80's there used to be a glass restaruant underneath I-8 and I-805. It was one of the old "fern bar" style places, early Houlihan's. I think it is currently a Todai buffet restaurant now, definitely not a steakhouse.

The other Bully's is in Del Mar, and it was there last time I looked. They are fun and you can get good drinks and a decent meal at both, but they don't serve the kind of steaks you get at the higher priced places.

Edited to add that I just remembered there is another Bully's in the Bird Rock area of La Jolla, so forget what I said. :rolleyes:

Edited by Carlsbad (log)

I am the best man planning a bachelor party in San Diego this June. 

Dick's Last Resort downtown is a party bar. There are also some bars in Pacific Beach that are party bars but I'm outa touch since I've been out of college for 18 years and I'm married with two kids. Ah yes, I still remember the good ol' college days of going to Woodstock's Pizza with the guys and having four pitchers of beer before the pizza showed up. Then you can't eat pizza w/o beer so we were forced to get more. Good times. Anyway, in case you were wondering about "fun" bars :wink: suitable for a bacholor party :shock: , shoot me a PM and I'll get you some names of places that are perfect for that kind of stuff. :cool:

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band