• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in San Diego

Bashful3

Hey guys-

My husband and I will be going to San Diego on vacation in May.  Any places we shouldn't miss?

I've done a search and have seen that the consensus is generally that food in San Diego is not so great.  Is this really the case?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

You didn't say what type of food you're looking for and at what price point but I have a few suggestions then you can tell us what specifically you're looking for.

Best Fish Taco's = Rubio's. If you've never tried a fish taco, you HAVE to go to Rubio's for their Fish Taco Especial (not their plain fish taco). It's a fast food mexican place (not a taco shop) and are all over the place. Let me know where you're staying at I'll get you to one. The best.

Steakhouse = Greystone in Galsamp Quarter. Upscale steakhouse that has never dissapointed me or my friends who go from my recommendation. Of course, there are also Morton's and Ruth Chris but there all over the country. You should go to a local joint.

Best traditional Mexican = Place in the middle of Bazzar Del Mundo in Old Town. I can't remember the name but it's an outdoor restaurant that serves copious amounts of traditional Mexican and is very good. My wife and I love this place and go often.

Best Taco Shop = Nacho's Taco Shop 7500 block of University Ave. in La Mesa. This place has been here for over 20 years and serves outstanding food for a small little joint.

Sushi = Shien of Osaka in Rancho Bernardo. Not located in a tourist area but the fish is incredible and the sushi chef's can make anything you want. I've eatin at many sushi places over the 20 years I've lived here but I keep on coming back to this one as I haven't found one better in terms of quality.

My wife and I rarely go out to expensive places anymore because we come away dissapointed more times than not. George's By The Cove in La Jolla is highly rated. In the Gaslamp Quarter, there are blocks of restaurants along 4th and 5th aveunues that I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding something. Here's a link to what is there:

San Diego Gaslamp Quarter Restaurants

What kind of food did were you looking for?

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

hi annsyp:  my buddy jay is opening a place in the next month or so.  the menu isn't finalized yet, but here's his website--the menu will be up soon.

The Linkery

please stop by and say hello--he's a really great guy and will make you feel right at home.  he's also a native san diegan who absolutely loves the city, and can tell you everywhere that's worth going.  AND, his sausages are incredibly good.  :smile:

I just checked out the website...looks good! Hopefully the next time I'm in town...they will be open.

As for the purpose of this thread...there are a lot of hidden gems in San Diego.

Let me think about it and put together a small list of my favorite places to eat at when I make it down there to hang out with friends and family.

"Pen and Sword in Accord"

Let me think about it and put together a small list of my favorite places to eat at when I make it down there to hang out with friends and family.

Please do! My boyfriend and I will be taking a trip to San Diego at the end of the month, and we're more interested in hidden gems than high-end dining. Especially Mexican, since there isn't a whole lot of good Mexican where we are.

hi annsyp:  my buddy jay is opening a place in the next month or so.  the menu isn't finalized yet, but here's his website--the menu will be up soon.

The Linkery

please stop by and say hello--he's a really great guy and will make you feel right at home.  he's also a native san diegan who absolutely loves the city, and can tell you everywhere that's worth going.  AND, his sausages are incredibly good.  :smile:

I just checked out the website...looks good! Hopefully the next time I'm in town...they will be open.

he opened on friday. hope you can get there next time you're in town.

3382 30th Street

SD, CA

The best Afghan restaurant I've been to, Khyber Pass, is in San Diego in the Hillcrest District, which also has a high concentration of restaurants. The other neighborhood I recommend is La Jolla, where you can get excellent food and a stunning ocean view from the high cliffs. La Jolla Restaurant Guide has some good recommendations, but I can' remember what my favorites were. I pretty much avoid Old Town, especially at night - it gets a bit rowdy IMO.

You'll find hidden gems in Hillcrest (a counterculture neighborhood) and high end dining in La Jolla. Those are the only two places in San Diego where I've had good experiences.

Edited by LarsTheo (log)

• 2 months later...

San Diego has plenty of great restaurants - is there any cuisine in particular that you are interested in. Here are a few good restaurants that I have been to.

1) Rubios - This is a chain, but don't be fooled, a very good chain, and possible one of the best fish tacos that I have ever had - they are mad baja style, with sliced cabbage, and a great sauce - plenty of locations http://www.rubios.com/. Also, I should add that the food is made to order and they have a good salsa bar.

2) Old Town Mexican Cafe - This is in the Old Town Section of San Diego - there are plenty of mexican resturants in this area, but when walking around one evening this one caught my eye, and it was a great decision - a real nice menu of about 15 different margaritas, plus great food and a fun environment. http://www.oldtownmexcafe.com/

3) RA Sushi - Located in downtown San Diego - a great sushi restaurant with a cool environment as well - I have sat at the sushi bar both times that I was there and enjoyed the food and the environment - if you are not a sushi fan, the chicken terriyaki is real good as well. http://www.rasushi.com/

Enjoy your trip, and let us know how it was upon you return.

Hey guys-

My husband and I will be going to San Diego on vacation in May.  Any places we shouldn't miss?

I've done a search and have seen that the consensus is generally that food in San Diego is not so great.  Is this really the case?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

A really fun restaurant is Acqua al Due, a sister restaurant to the original in Florence Italy. Some of the best and most authentic Italian food this side of the Atlantic. They also feature sampler plates, or "Assigio" whnere you get 5 or 6 small portions of different dishes-- They have an appetizer sampler, pasta, main course, and dessert. Great place!! Acqua Al 2 Website

• 3 weeks later...

The FoodBabes are traveling West in a few weeks, to San Diego. We've only got a few days, and are staying at the Del Coronado. Where should we eat while we're out there? Beachside and/or view is very important, and if Mr. FoodBabe and the FoodBambinos (teenagers) can be jacket-free, they will all be happy. I just want a good wine list, good food, and great service.

And since this is a travel forum as well, does anyone know if shark charters are still running out of the Marina -- specifically, the Betsy M?

Many thanks

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Make sure you request a room away from any construction going on (See this previous thread on the Del).

In regards to dining, Peohe's (Pee-oh-eez) is on the opposite side of the Coronado Island from the Del. It has a grand view of the downtown skyline. Make sure you request a booth/table with a view (some booths are tucked away and offer privacy rather than a view). If the weather is nice during the day, inquire if they're serving outdoors on the patio. It may be too cold to eat outside in the evening but I'm sure they'd have those portable heaters.

For dessert in Coronado, there is the MooTime Creamery. It looks like they have a shop in the Del but the store on Orange Avenue has more atmosphere. It's "hand crafted" ice cream and they make their own waffle cones.

Point Loma Seafood in Point Loma has been recommended in previous discussions about eating in San Diego. But it's not very formal dining and though they serve beer and wine it doesn't come across a wine-list sort of place.

If you want more view, Anthony's in downtown San Diego is right on the water (actually over the water) on the San Diego bay. I believe the ferry from Coronado lands nearby. If you get to Anthony's when they first open for lunch you can get a window table with a nice view looking out over the Bay and towards Coronado. The down side is that it's very touristy and the food is sort of pricey for what you get. They should have a wine list though and if you want more upscale dining, the Star of the Sea room next door to Anthony's is a little more "chi-chi". The Star of the Sea room used to have a dress code but I believe it may be a thing of the past. Not sure if they're open for lunch, either.

For the grandest view of all, have (expensive) cocktails at the top floor of the Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego which is next to Seaport Village at the end of the Downtown Gaslamp District. From one side you see the downtown skyline and northern San Diego and from the opposite windows you see the SouthBay and the lights of Tijuana, Mexico.

Seaport Village is on the San Diego Bay. It's a touristy collection of stores and a few restaurants but there's a waterfront walkway with a great view of the Bay and of Coronado Island.

If you're looking for something the teens can do, there's Belmont Park in Pacific Beach. PB is not close to Coronado and you'd need a vehicle to get there (it's about 20 to 30 minutes to the northwest). It's a small "amusement" area with a great roller coaster almost on the waterfront. On the website, click on "Rides and Other Fun Stuff" for a virtual ride on the roller coaster.

In Pacific Beach, there's also the nearby boardwalk with restaurants and homes on one side and the beach on the other side. At the north end of Belmont Park there's a cul de sac that ends at the boardwalk. I believe Hamel's is still there. They rent bikes, rollerblades, etc, so the teens could always do that.

If you have money to burn and want another grand view, there's also Bertrand at Mr. A's.. It's actually Uptown. You can see a small picture on the website showing the view from the patio. I don't think I would qualify it as "teen-friendly" since it's more of a "grown-up's" restaurant but the coat-and-tie dress code is a thing of the past and they will definitely have a wine list.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

While we're on the subject of San Diego, what's the story with Aqua Al 2? I have been to the restaurant in Florence, but I'm curious about the satellite branch. Why San Diego? And is it any good? I had a great meal at the original, but that was way back in 1989 when I was, uh, a very sophisticated toddler...

Edited by amytraverso (log)

Amy Traverso

californiaeating.blogspot.com

While we're on the subject of San Diego, what's the story with Aqua Al 2? I have been to the restaurant in Florence, but I'm curious about the satellite branch. Why San Diego? And is it any good? I had a great meal at the original, but that was way back in 1989 when I was, uh, a very sophisticated toddler...

I went there a few weeks ago for my birthday and was pretty dissapointed. My wife and I had the Assagio de Primi appetizer and was not impressed. Very little variety in sauce flavors and the pasta was not al dente enough for our tastes. For the main, my wife had the Filetto All Aceto Balsamico and I had the Controfiletto ai Funghi Porcini. Her Filet was pretty good and the balsamic sauce was also good but I was very dissapointed in my steak. While the steak was tender it had zero, and I mean zero, flavor and the porcini's although piled high didn't help make it any better. Another couple that was with us had the fish special and I can't remember the other dinner. The fish was good but nothing extraordinary.

My wife and I agreed that we will not be going back. Other than the food, it was way down the strip where nothing else is located except construction. It was quite a hike after parking at Horton Plaza. Next time if we're in the mood for Italian we will go to La Strada Trattoria in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter.

Cheers,

Bob

On Coronado, Azzura Point at the Loews Resort has a great view of sunsets over the bay and gets very good reviews. I've never been there, but I doubt Mr. and the bambinos have to wear a coat. Peohe's has a good view, esecially outside, but the times I've eaten there the cocktails were better than the food. On that side of the island, there is an Il Fornaio, which is part of a small, but pretty good chain Italian place. I haven't been to that location, but I've enjoyed lunches and dinners at the one in Del Mar, and the view is about the same as at Peohe's.

Across the bay, in the downtown area, Anthony's Star of the Sea has recently received stellar reviews. It does hang over the bay and only dinner is served. I haven't been there in at least five years, but the recent reviews have made me think I should return. I don't think they require a coat, but you should verify that. The adjacent Anthony's Fish Grotto (and the take-away Fishette) are institutions that serve very fresh Seafood very simply prepared, and I have always thought of them as priced quite reasonably. The bar atop the Grand Hyatt has a nice view of the whole area, although I think it's one of the worst designed bars I've ever seen. I haven't been there since they built another tower that doubled the size of the place- maybe the new tower has something at the top. Bertrand took over the long-time Mr. A's a few years back. The view down from a hill over the bay, city and airport is one of the best. I don't like the interior much, but Bertrand has owned Mille fleur in Rancho Santa Fe for many years, and I've enjoyed quite a few meals over the years there. I've only had drinks at Bertrand's at Mr. A's, before going to Laurel, a pretty good provencal inspired place across the street. No view there though.

The best beach view with very good upscale food and a decent wine list is at the Marine Room in La Jolla, which is literally on the beach at La Jolla Shores. Jackets are welcome but not required, and few ties will be seen. I've never been disappointed there. Georges at the Cove has a good view of La Jolla Cove from the formal dining room and the rooftop casual area (one of my favorite places for lunch), and the food is excellent. Nice wine list, too. The Sky Room at the La Valencia Hotel is very intimate, has a striking view, and is quite romantic. Not sure it's a place I would take the bambinos. Recent reviews have been good, but I haven't been there since a change of chefs and menus. There are several casual places for breakfast, lunch or dinner with views in the area. I had a great meal at Tapenade in La Jolla last weekend, but it doesn't have a view.

Del Mar and Cardiff have places right down on the beach, although the food is pretty basic and you are getting pretty far from Coronado.

As for Aqua Al 2, I've not heard anyone say much good about it, so I've never been.

I really liked Monsoon Indian restaurant. Great atmosphere and really good food at reasonable prices.

I also really like Greystone steakhouse. Also great atmosphere and awesome steaks. The buffalo tenderloin was better than I've ever had.

For Thai try Rama and ask to sit in a booth close to the waterfall. Very nice with the wall to wall waterfall (well, water lightly cascading over rocks) and the drapes from the 40 foot ceiling to seclude each booth or table. Great atmosphere.

These are all downtown, just a ferry ride over the bay to the Gaslamp quarter. Very nice to take the ferry back at night overlooking the skyline. If I do say so myself, we do have a great skyline. Ferry website

Enjoy your trip. When are you going BTW?

Cheers,

Bob

Enjoy your trip.  When are you going BTW?

Cheers,

Bob

Ahh, what is not to love about eGullet? Thank you all so much, and keep 'em coming. We will be there the last full week of June, and will come back before the 4th of July madness. The initial reason for the trip was so our sons, who are very into Marine Biology and Oceanography, could see Scripps and Birch. Then, of course, they all (and my husband) have to play Torrey Pines. My plan is to be out for three meals a day, and as much of them eaten with the Pacific in my sight, as possible!

You can't see the Pacific from Region Restaurant but we had a fantastic meal there when we visited last October. Perfect California combination of casual atmosphere with well-prepared food and attentive service.

Region Restaurant

3671 Fifth Avenue

(619) 299-6499

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Ahh, what is not to love about eGullet?  Thank you all so much, and keep 'em coming.  We will be there the last full week of June, and will come back before the 4th of July madness.  The initial reason for the trip was so our sons, who are very into Marine Biology and Oceanography, could see Scripps and Birch. Then, of course, they all (and my husband) have to play Torrey Pines.  My plan is to be out for three meals a day, and as much of them eaten with the Pacific in my sight, as possible!

Ah, Torrey Pines is a different kettle of fish, so to speak. There are a couple of upscale eateries in Del Mar (just north of Torrey Pines) right on the beach. They always make the news when storms hit due to the waves washing up against their windows (and sometimes coming in!). There's Jake's Del Mar and next to it is The Poseidon. Both are right on the beach.

In La Jolla (about 10 to 15 mintues south of Torrey Pines) there is the Marine Room (they held a James Beard Foundation event there last October) and the related restaurant, The Shores. The views don't get much better than that.

I always enjoyed the aquariums at Scripps but then I'm geeky that way. :wink: La Jolla Shores (just down the hill from the Scripps Institute) is a nice public beach with picnic areas. You used to be able to rent bodyboards and "rafts" right on the beach though that may be a weekend thing.

If you have the inclination, you can also check out the Hang Glider port next to the Salks Institute (across from UCSD) which is just south, down around the corner from Torrey Pines. The hang gliders take off from the cliffs overlooking Black's Beach and it's certainly picturesque.

Also note that San Diego experiences a heavy marine layer around this time of year. They nicknamed it "June Gloom" because sometimes the marine layer comes in and doesn't go away so it looks cloudy all day. But normally, the marine layer dissapates around 10 or 11am and then starts to come back in around 4pm or so. So it's possible you may not see great sunsets. Towards the end of June, it may not be much of a concern but could still be around.

By the way, you may be running into traffic from the Del Mar Fair which will be going on during your stay. Technically, it's really the San Diego County Fair but because it's held at the Del Mar Race Track & Fairgrounds (about 5-10 minutes north of Torry Pines) everyone calls it the Del mar Fair. It starts June 10th and runs until July 4th this year. A lot of people use Torrey Pines Road as a "backdoor" path to get to the Fair so the traffic may be heavier than usual.

It's the 7th largest Fair in the U.S. and is just huge. We always eat our way through. :wub:

Please post about your trip when you get back so we know how it went.

Tim Oliver

Also...

Peohe's mentioned above is next to the water at the ferry landing.

Il Fornaio is also on the water by the ferry landing.

I found this website that lists a majority if not all of the Coronado restaurants HERE

I heard Crown Bistro for breakfast is really good.

I've eaten at the original Aqua Al 2 in Italy as well as the one here in San Diego, and I have to say that there was no comparison. I was very disappointed with my meal at the San Diego location. I had the Filetto Al Aceto Balsamico -- a trademark Tuscan dish -- and it totally fell flat. The steak was nearly flavorless and the balsamic reduction was very one dimensional -- rather than a deep, well-rounded flavor, the steak just tasted of cheap balsamic vinegar. For the significant prices they charge, I can eat better elsewhere.

David

Edited by drfokos (log)

I'd heard about the June Glooms -- but this is the only time we have to go. As long as they're not like the Central Valley Tule Fog, we'll be okay. And then, there's that ocean thing ... always makes me smile.

I love, love, love, love, food festivals. I may swap Torrey Pines for that. My oldest son plays golf, and the youngest is a food-type, like me. This is all working out very well!

The marine layer can set in for the day in June but in the many days I have been a visitor in San Diego, it has never kept me from doing something I had planned. Be sure to pack clothes for 'cool and damp' and you will be fine.

Perhaps someone could chime in about Chino Farms. I've read a bunch about the fantastic produce there but don't know exactly where it is to know if it is worth a drive.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I'd heard about the June Glooms -- but this is the only time we have to go.  As long as they're not like the Central Valley Tule Fog, we'll be okay.  And then, there's that ocean thing ... always makes me smile.

I love, love, love, love, food festivals.  I may swap Torrey Pines for that. My oldest son plays golf, and the youngest is a food-type, like me.  This is all working out very well!

Yesterday I met up with someone who just came up from San Diego and they said the June Gloom hasn't been as bad as it normally it is. So you may actually have nice weather when you hit town. That is something to smile about. :smile:

And I may have miscommunicated about the Del Mar Fair. It's not really a food festival but an actual county fair with amusement rides, 4-H animals, garden displays & flower shows and the usual Ginzu Knives-type booths.

Like I said, we mainly go for the food. They sell the usual corn dogs and lemonade, but we prefer the not-your-run-of-the-mill joints that sell things like falafel burgers, deep fried artichoke hearts in a garlic batter, Indian fry bread and roasted ears of corn with lime & chili powder. There's even a BBQ place out in the Centerfield (you have to cross over into the middle of the race track to find it) that seems to be a big secret because there's hardly ever a crowd out there which is surprising because we think their "Q" is good, especially for Fair food.

I've always enjoyed attending this fair because the Fairgrounds, though not actually on the beach, are quite near the ocean so you get a nice ocean breeze as you walk around during the day. If you do go during the day, make sure you wear sunscreen even if it's "cloudy" (which is really just the marine layer) because it should melt away by mid-morning.

Please post about your trip when you get back. I'd enjoy hearing about your activities.

Tim Oliver

Most days this time of year, the sun comes out for at least part of the day and the sun is out all day sometimes. The highs are about 75 and the lows are about 60. Chances are you might see a little mist in the morning, but no real rain or heavy fog.

Since you'll be in the Torrey Pines area during the day, Del Mar is close, and in addition to the places mentioned on the beach, there is a great view and good food at Il Fornaio and Pacifica Del Mar in the Del Mar Plaza. http://www.delmarplaza.com/ There's also an outside wine bar and Epazote. Unfortunately, the fair starts today and will be running the entire time you are here, which means the traffic will be worse than usual.

To get to Chino's, take Via de la Valle east off the I-5 and go about 3 or 4 miles. After you pass the golf course, look for a field with a small sign the says "vegetable stand" and turn right on the road just past that field.

OMG, Chino Farms! How could I have not asked about that?? Thank you all for remembering for me. Since organic farming, farm-to-table, and all that is a major interest of mine (and a course of study I plan to continue after graduation), I have got to go there. I am such a non-Californian that to me, "agriculture" only means "central valley." When the younger and I go up to Copia this summer, we'll get to see even more.

I'm really getting excited about this trip! Cooler weather will be a blessing, and doubly so when it's on the beach. :cool:

Time to make some dinner reservations. I love to just wing it and see what we feel like on a certain day, but I've come to learn that it usually doesn't work that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be in San Diego in August. I'll be staying at a place in Hotel Circle (the Super 8 gave me a cheap rate; I hope it won't be horrible, but as long as the room doesn't smell and has nothing infesting it and I'm able to sleep on the bed, that'll be OK), in order to go to a convention at the Town & Country Convention Center, and I won't have any wheels (not so atypically of a New Yorker, I've never gotten a driver's license). Any advice or recommendations? If there's some public transportation, I'd be more than happy to avail myself of such for some good meals. I'd prefer to keep most of my meals under $30-35; good taquerias most welcome.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"