• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in San Diego

Bashful3

Yes, I have eaten at Cafe W. I thought the food was really interesting. In fact I may have swiped an idea or two while I was there. The only problem I had was with the menu set up - hard to know what the portion was. What we ended up doing was order a little at a time, a few times. I liked the atmosphere and decor as well. Comfortable, if a little loud on the night we were there.

Yes, we have a website. 150grandcafe.com

If it ain't fried it ain't food!

I'm going to be in San Diego on Friday, and I'm looking for high-end suggestions.

To repeat, Cafe Pacifica, Old Town San Diego.

I went to Cafe Pacifica last December. Looking back on my notes, I thought the food was good - I had seared tuna with ginger butter that was perfect - cool in the middle and melt-in-your-mouth tender. The service was only so-so, and they brought us the wrong bottle of wine (which didn't get noticed until after we drank it). My main complaint with the restaurant was that the tables were far too close together - you could tell it was located in a touristy region and they were really packing em in. Crowded and noisy.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Tammy, should I also know that?  (I forget these things.)

Bruce

Nope - different part of the same trip. You have already eaten at Roppongi though, so you should definitely go some place else this time around (not that Roppongi wasn't good, because it was, but variety is the spice of life...)

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Hi! another san diegan! Hope I'm not too late to chime in.

Roppongi is related to Fresh. And to Sammy's Woodfired Pizza. I've noticed some of the menu items from Tamarindo, Fresh's predecessor, have made it onto the Sammy's menu.

I noticed that Roppongi Happy Hour was mentioned on this thread and figured it was worth adding details from my limited experience. Last time I visited (about two months ago) the deal was: half-price tapas and sushi (normal prices are about $6 to $24) from 4-6 each day. It's perfect for post-shopping, post-sightseeing or pre-entertainment. You can arrive at 5:30 and get your order in and then take your time. It's also in my experience been less loud and crowded during happy hour than dinner. If you approach it as a fun bargain opportunity to sample a lot of dishes (it's nice to have 3 or 4 people to share with) rather than a special-occasion destination, it's really much better. NB--Happy hour has never seemed to mean inexpensive drinks, and in the 6 or so times I've visited, service is highly irregular--either very nice and accomodating or very slow and haughty. Also, the desert with the ice cream, bananas and nut brittle is worth the full price if you have any room left.

For La Jolla, more special-occasion, I'd go with Tapenade any time.

I agree that Cafe W is lovely but I can't seem to get in there for more than drinks b/c I'm hooked on Parallel 33 for dinner and Hash House a go-go for breakfast or lunch. Hope you have a great trip--i need to try 150 Grand!

Yeah... San Diego has some great food. Fresh, Roppongi, Pamplemousse Grille, Chive, Mr. A's, Laurel's on 5th.. Theres tones of great food down here. Just gota find it. Also..the time has past(july20-Sept10)-but the Del Mar Horse Racing Track has some great Pacific Rim food. If you can make it up to 4th-5th floor theres the Pacific Classic Room where you can order anything from Potstickers to Braised Duck. This is my first post.. So here's alittle of my work...its taken with my phone cam 8100 sanyo.

Stuffed Dover w/ Blue crab mousse topped with SunDried Roma and Roasted Yellow Bell Beurre Blanc

Stuffed%20sole2.jpg

This is my first post.. So here's alittle of my work...its taken with my phone cam 8100 sanyo.

Stuffed Dover w/ Blue crab mousse topped with SunDried Roma and Roasted Yellow Bell Beurre Blanc

Stuffed%20sole2.jpg

SAute, that is beautiful, and your phone cam does a great job too!

++++

Los Quatros Milpas at the foot of Coronado bridge in Chicano Park has the best flour tortillas laden with lard, and the hottest hot sauce laden with fatty meat. Perfect picnic with rice and beans, which are served with those tortillas and a handful of chopped white onions and cilantro, and a quarter lime, plus hot sauce.

They've been around for maybe 60 years, you stand in line outside, stand in line inside with no air conditioning to order, pick up, and pay. The seating is picnic benches, some located next to the folks making tortillas and all the other foods. I treat these tortillas like a box of excellent chocolates--to be savored, as they are so rich.

They are a community and Mexican food lover's treasure and should not be discounted because they aren't upscale--if food quality is your major concern. You can pre-order the day before or day of, but always expect a line except at opening and closing and sometimes then, too. It is always perfectly consistent, except when they run out of things which they often do. Don't expect to pick up a dozen tortillas much after noon (unless you pre-order).

If anyone thinks they know of better tortillas or hot sauce, please let me know! These are special occasion treats as they are so fatty.

Those tortillas sound fantastic!    Would you recommend any particular meat in addition to the rice and beans?  (this is assuming they have meat).

Hi Martha, this place uses shredded beef in their tacos (which are also excellent, and flavored with one of the salty, dry quesos), but I don't know how it's prepared. I think that (beef), or pork, would be best, and chicken would also work. Honestly, they are so rich you really don't need meat at all, and the only meat in the beans and rice "dish" is if there is a chunk of meat in the hot sauce. The people who eat "in" often make rice and bean burritos from the rice/bean order, as it comes with two giant tortillas (and those onions and cilantro and lemon or lime wedges). Enough for a hearty eater, or plenty of leftovers for someone like me.

In case anyone has a misperception about this place, I am not recommending their beans or rice or anything but their tortillas and hot sauce. I like my beans nearly pureed and my rice to be sticky or whole grained or otherwise "abnormal."

That said, buy a dozen tortillas and a medium container of hot sauce (and some milk if you have lightweights), and tear the tortillas into bite-sized pieces and dip into the sauce. It should quench the appetite until you get to your destination. They are so fresh that they can grow mold overnight if not refrigerated.

Yeah... San Diego has some great food. Fresh, Roppongi, Pamplemousse Grille, Chive, Mr. A's, Laurel's on 5th.. Theres tones of great food down here. Just gota find it. Also..the time has past(july20-Sept10)-but the Del Mar Horse Racing Track has some great Pacific Rim food. If you can make it up to 4th-5th floor theres the Pacific Classic Room where you can order anything from Potstickers to Braised Duck. This is my first post.. So here's alittle of my work...its taken with my phone cam 8100 sanyo.

Stuffed%20sole2.jpg

More examples of great food in SanDiego:

S'Bicca(Sister to Meritage) in Del Mar, has 1/2 price wine night Tuesday and Thursday.

Japengo is great for Sushi with a twist, innovative combinations. (la Jolla)

La Valanecia hotel, great appetizers, wonderful sunset view)

For that old world multiple course meal with great dishes and amazing souffle- El Bizcocho in Rancho Bernado (the name has nothing to do with the food style, Bring someone elses credit card.. hehehehe) Har dto fins but worth the wait.

Parallel 33. WOW! thats it.

• 4 months later...

Cheap good food in San Diego can be had at a taco stand. My favorite is Humberto's at 25th and C, but they're all over the place. Carnitas and carne asada burritos are great, and one burrito makes a meal. Look for a slightly run down place - in this case, ghetto is good.

Lotus Thai at 6th and Robinson in Hillcrest is my favourite Thai place - their lunch specials during the week are a heck of a good deal, and dinner is pretty reasonable.

The Field in the Gaslamp District is a great Irish pub - service can be spotty, but their kitchen is fantastic, and not a bank-breaker.

I did much of my undergraduate college work living in San Diego. I miss Ichiban on University in Hillcrest - and Rubio's original fish tacos.

Hillcrest is a great place for some inexpensive night life and is fun to wander around in the evening. Also, don't miss the Gaslamp district. There are some wonderful inexpensive French bistros down there and I used to love Ida Bailey's that was in one of the original hotels (Ida Bailey was a known Madame).

Have fun!

For a casual, early dinner (before 6pm), try Point Loma Seafoods, on Scott Street.

In fact, don't miss Point Loma Seafoods. Their prepared food items are all very good. In particular, thoughts of the squid salad is making me hungry right now.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

You can go across the border to Rosarita for $10 lobster, if you're so inclined.

Lochina, when exactly is Spring Break? Rosarita is a great suggestion for lobster, however lobster season ends on March 31st so an April visit to Rosarita or Ensenada would be pretty fruitless (except for Fish Tacos!!!)

edited for spelling.

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

There are numerous taco shops throughout San Diego that offer cheap and good eats. Roberto's was the first chain, followed by a spin-off, Alberto's, and after that it gets murky: Royberto's, Hilberto's, etc, you get the picture. The menu is pretty much the same at all of them as are the prices which are low.

If you want "bang" for your buck, try La Torta (click here). They only have 4 locations but their Pacific Beach location, while small, is their best...not as crowded as the others and you can sit outside if the weather is good. Their sandwiches are mammoth (see pics on the website linked above) and if you go with someone, split a basket of their beer-battered onion rings. :wub: I'd recommend stopping at a 7-11 convenience store, though, to get a Big Gulp before going to La Torta since they only sell soda by the can/bottle. They also sell Horchata, etc.

The Rubios chain offers some great fish tacos but their prices keep going up. I'd look for a "taco sale" sign in front of the store offering a deal (they offer different deals throughout the year...including lobster tacos!) before I'd go in. If you've never had a fish taco before, then you should try Rubio's.

There's also a place called Da Kine's (Click here for Da Kine's web site) in Pacific Beach (another location in National City) that offers hawai'ian food. Check out the menu on the website with some pictures of their food. They offer combo platters, too, and it's filling. The Kalua Pig is pulled pork & shredded cabbage with Liquid Smoke mixed in and is quite tasty. Order the Kona cake for dessert and split it with friends.

Da Kine's in PB is about a block away from the boardwalk/beach (see the pic on the web link).

As for going south of the border, I don't really recommend it unless you take someone with you who speaks spanish. But then, that was my experience. :rolleyes:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

i also have to recommend the roberto's chain: some of the best chicken burritos i have ever had. (they don't put rice or beans in it, so while it's very...uh....juicy....it's also just filled with chicken and veggies, so you don't feel like you're getting the short end of the stick because of a burrito that is 3/4 rice and beans).

for fairly inexpensive sushi at a halfway decent price, i would say ichiban in pacific beach(?) or their sister store niban on clairemont mesa. for pretty darn good sushi, i'd say tadashi's in la jolla (all you can eat, made to order, for less than $20 for lunch, $25-27 for dinner). for really good, but more expensive sushi, i'd say nobu in solana beach or yummy sushi in carmel mountain. yummy sushi is great for just plonking yourself down at the sushi bar and letting the sushi chef be creative and make whatever they think you might like. the last time we were there, we got a roll with unagi in the middle and seared salmon skin on top. it was so good!

even though it's become a huge chain, pat and oscar's pizza chain is pretty good. they're all over san diego, and if you just try their breadsticks, you will see why my friends and i have deemed them the home of the crack-laced breadsticks. plus, the san diego pizza (avocado, feto cheese, red onion, and pesto) is yummy.

you can wander around clairemont/kearney mesa on convoy street for a wealth of relatively cheap, really good asian places. nozomi's on convoy is a great korean/japanese restaurant. my favorite pho place is phuong tran on convoy has great egg rolls and $5 bowls of pho.

the gaslamp district downtown has great food, particularly if you want to escape from all the generic chains that seem to be everywhere in san diego. one of my favorites is a little italian restaurant/bakery called assaggio on 4th which makes some of THE best ciabatta i've ever had. their foccacia is great too. the gaslamp district is a lot of fun to just wander around and go into whatever catches your eye. my SO and i went down there one day to restaurant hop, because we didn't know what we wanted for dinner. so we had sushi as an appetizer at sushi itto, and dinner at trattoria la bocca, and we would have gone somewhere else for dessert(ghiradelli soda shop, maybe?), but we were too tired and full at that point. :raz: just be warned that like most downtowns, parking can be a pain in the butt.

Edited by sassybat (log)

I also really like Fins fish and shrimp tacos. Inexpensive and delicious. I have been eating there for over ten years and am never disappointed. The lobster burrito is amazing!

Near the Fins in Mira Mesa is Lucky Seafood which has a great Pho resturant inside. Great noodles and fresh crab rolls.

Another good choice in Sorrento valley is Island Boy Hawaiian food. Plate style, very tasty. Great grilled shimp and lumpia.

For Sushi, A hidden treasure is Sushi USA in Rancho Penasquitos. Amazing food and great prices. You can order one roll and they provide enough exotic fruit and edamame to fill you up for dinner.