• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in San Diego

Bashful3

Mike, whether the Mexican food in San Diego is good or not depends a lot on what the person looking for it thinks real Mexican food should be. Honkman has already mentioned two of the better choices. IMNSHO Chilango's probably comes closest to serving Mexican food like you'd actually find in Mexico, and they do it very well. Mama Testa's does 26 different varieities of tacos, plus they have the best salsa bar in town with 10 different salsas all made fresh daily. Neither of these, however, is very close to where you're staying. Super Cocina does the bet homestyle cooking in the city, but it also isn't very close to the Marriott.

Old Town is a bit dicey these days since the State Dept. of Parks elected to yank the concessions contract from the vendor that's done the food for the last 30 years and give it to Delaware North. Let's just say the transition has not been smooth. Business is down 60% or more. Old Town is the end of the Blue Line trolley which makes it easily accessible from your hotel; and there are several fairly good Mexican dining options for you there. The most upscale is El Agave which has a great selection of tequilas and mezcals and specializes in moles and other dishes not frequently seen in San Diego. It's probably a 5 minute walk from the trolley station. Bertha's would not be a bad choice either. Zocalo Grille is moderately priced and does contemporary Mexican. It's not bad and the restaurant itself is quite comfortable. Casa Guadalajara is a couple of blocks north of the trolley stop and if you're looking jumbo margaritas and such, this would be the place.

Tin Fish is just a short walk from your hotel. They do a pretty respectable fish taco as well as fish, burgers and chicken. Very casual, moderately priced, patio dining.

Candelas is located in the Gaslamp and walkable from your hotel. It does "alta cocina" or what would be very upscale Mexican like you'd find in Mexico City. It's actually quite a good restaurant, but if you're looking for tacos, enchiladas, tamles, etc. this won't be the place. Expect to pay Gaslamp prices, meaning high. Also, unless they've changed things in the last couple of years, the room has a tendency to be darkly lit at night.

I, for one, don't buy into the "don't go to the Gaslamp" party line. Yeah, it's touristy and somewhat on the pricey side, but locals do go there, and there are some perfectly repectable and decent restaurants there. You're already downtown, so go, walk around and see if you like anything. Most of the restaurants have their menus posted either in a window or on a sidwalk signboard. Croce's has been there since dirt, Bendar does decent Persian, Rama does Thai, the Fish Market; downstairs for casual or Top of the Market for more upscale dining. You can get the fancy, upscale steak experience if you want. House of Blues, the new Confidential, you name it, you can find it in the Gaslamp. If you don't like it, or don't feel like it fits your energy or your needs, you can always hop the trolley and go elsewhere. Oh, there's also a new Brazilian restaurant on the top floor of Horton Plaza doing that all you can eat meat thing.

The Blue Line trolley also goes to Little Italy. Just walk up and down the 3-4 block stretch of India St. and you're bound to find something to interest you. Songo di Vino is kind of a cute little wine bar. Pete's Meats on India serves meat sandwiches that are pretty good. Fillipi's is a San Diego institution having been in business in the county for 50+ years. Is it "authentic" Italian? No, but you'll get a decent meal at a fair price, tho' it won't "wow" you. The Princess Pub is on India St. and has a pretty lively clientel. The Waterfront on Kettner is a quasi dive bar that serves a very good burger. Bud's Lousiana Food Shoppe is on either Kettner or India (sorry, can't remember which) doing excellent gumbos, po' boys, cajun and creole food.

If you're intrested in Southern/Lousiana cooking, take the Orange Line trolley to the Euclid stop. In the Food 4 Less shopping center is Magnolia's. They also do a Sunday jazz brunch.

Take the water taxi across the bay to Coronado. Peohe's is without a doubt the best bay view restaurant in town. Menu is mostly seafood and ranges from okay to very good, but can be erratic. Service is young, very casual and sometimes not that efficient. But there is also nothing quite like sitting out on their veranda at Happy Hour with a some liquid libation and a few apps.

Enjoy your visit and let us know what you find.

Lots of real mexican food in San Diego. Mexico has regional variations just as other countries do. We "specialize" in Baja style, which is also occasionally refered to as "mexican fast food". Tijuana is a trolley ride away if you want to be certain of an authentic experience. There are a number of fine dining establishements there in addition to taco cart food.

How many days? Meals? Breakfasts? Dinners? expensive, budget, etc?

Car? no car?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Lots of real mexican food in San Diego. Mexico has regional variations just as other countries do. We "specialize" in Baja style, which is also occasionally refered to as "mexican fast food". Tijuana is a trolley ride away if you want to be certain of an authentic experience. There are a number of fine dining establishements there in addition to taco cart food.

How many days? Meals? Breakfasts? Dinners? expensive, budget, etc?

Car? no car?

No car, arrive on Saturday depart on Monday, I guess there will be some meals at the convention. Not looking to spend big dough, but budget is no issue. Won't have an issue with the trolley of some walking.

Tijuana would be cool, if it is some place good and not tourist trap

Thanks

Edited by lancastermike (log)

Rockin' Baja Lobster and the bucket dinners are a favorite of mine in Old Town. But, the Margaritas are overpriced. So, I eat there and drink at the Coyote Cafe.

I just had dinner at Pacifica Del Mar in Del Mar after opening day at the track and had a great time out on the patio watching the sun set thru the clouds. Takoshimi (peppered Ahi in mini taco shells) and the Kim Chee Martini (no longer in a martini glass) were very tasty along with a shrimp corn dog.

Da Captain

Captain Hongo

I don't think I've seen a mention of 3rd Corner here on this thread. I had dinner there Friday night.

3rd Corner used to be the Belgian Lion, across the street from Thee Bungalow on West Point Loma Blvd. in Ocean Beach. It's been the 3rd Corner for a few years now, but only within the last year or so has it morphed into it's current format as a wine shop and bistro. With more than 1,000 wines in stock, it really is more of a retail wine shop; one that just happens to serve up some excellent food.

The interior has been divided into 3 separate areas. One end of the white wine room contains a row of banquettes, and off of it is comfortable area for lounging. It's set up with deep, soft leather chairs and sofas. Through that room one reaches the patio. Unfortunately, though, it was too hot for patio dining Friday night, even at the beach. The red wine room has another row of banquettes and also contains a full service bar.

The menu is short and reasonably priced. The appetizers fall into 2 categories on the menu, small stuff and cheese. The olive sampler was bountiful, especially at $4. The three cheese souffle baked in a crepe was appropriately airy and light. The winner, however, was the stilton and goat cheese terrine with dried fruits (cranberries, apricots and dates in this case), nuts and an extremely good brown bread. I don't think I would have paired pistachios with stilton, but the combination is actually quite satisfying. Other appetizer options include a terrific baked Humbolt Fog goat cheese with wild mushrooms, charcuterie, shrimp skewers and smoked salmon. The small stuff and cheese are mostly in the $9 and $10 range.

I had the baked mahi that had been crusted with panko and then drizzled with a lime and jalapeno aioli. My dining companion had the gilled pork tenderloin with mustard sauce. Both entrees were done well, but the mahi was the clear winner. On a previous visit the short ribs were spectacular, but 100* weather just wasn't conducive to short ribs for dinner. The remainder fo the entree selections included mussels, salmon, chicken and a couple of pasta dishes, one with wild mushrooms the other with shrimp arrabiatta. Entrees are either $13 or $14.

The dessert menu contains only 4 items. Creme Brulee, a goat cheese napolean which is delectable, fresh berries and gelato and a richly deadent chocolate marquis with rasperry coulis. Desserts are all $6 with the exception of the napolean which is $7.

It's an interactive dining experience in that you can get up, walk around, check out the wines. You can select your wine first and then build your menu around it, or vice versa, pick your menu and then choose a wine to compliment it. I haven't decided yet if I like having wine shop patrons milling around while I'm dining, it creates kind of an odd dynamic, or at least it did for me. Not necessarily unpleasant, just odd. But the food is top notch and will keep me coming back.

Service is gracious, efficient and no intrusive. I also really liked the portion sizes. Most dishes are slightly larger than tapa size, but smaller than most entrees around town (and miniscule compared to Hash House a Go-Go). Corkage is free during happy hour. And 3rd Corner provides something San Diego has very little of, late night dining. It's open until 1:00 AM. A comfortable alternative to the bar scene and it even serves good food.

The Fish Market is a lovely place for a meal.

Nice view of the water, good fresh fish.

I enjoy the sweet corn and the artichokes as well, this time of year.

Avoid Anthony's; IMO overpriced, underfresh, not especially well presented or prepared.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm coming down from Vancouver and I will be staying at the Hotel Solamar (435 6th Avenue) later this month for a night.

I'm looking for something pretty close to the hotel with French or Italian cuisine. (An excellent table d'hote would be ideal) $$ is no concern...Where am I going everyone!?

Thank You!!!

Jason

...this is also my first post!... :smile:

I'm coming down from Vancouver and I will be staying at the Hotel Solamar (435 6th Avenue) later this month for a night.

I'm looking for something pretty close to the hotel with French or Italian cuisine. (An excellent table d'hote would be ideal) $$ is no concern...Where am I going everyone!? 

Thank You!!!

Jason

...this is also my first post!... :smile:

Hi Jason

JSix is right in your hotel. I ate there last year and had an excellent meal. However, the opening chef has since left and I have heard reports of inconsistency. There is a new chef at the helm now, so possibly some stability has been recaptured. While the meal was very good, I certainly wouldn't call it the ONE.

You are downtown on the fringe of the Gaslamp District which is heavily tourist oriented but not devoid of all possibility. Cafe Chloe is a casual French place within walking distance of your hotel. But it's probably not what you're looking for either. High end French isn't really a staple in San Diego. You might have better luck with Italian. Also within a very easy walk from your hotel is Acqua al 2 which is homebased in Florence, Italy.

I had dinner Monday night at The Oceanaire Seafood Room and can highly recommend it. Excellent fish, excellent service.

You can cab it up to Parallel 33 in Mission Hills for a really great meal, or try a new place called Modus which has gotten some good press lately, though Idon't think I'd classifyit as "the one". You're also a short cab ride away from Mister A's, which because of it's location on the 5th floor has a tremendous view and (usually) food to match.

And if you haven't already checked it out, don't forget to take a look at this link above which has a lot of the previous San Diego threads with info similar to what you're requesting.

Above all enjoy your trip.

Ms. Kalypso, otherwise known as.............

The Dining Diva

I just typed out a whole thing then realized i wasn't logged in, dammit.

Oh well..

San Diego, my specialty!

I would second the inconsistency of JSix as I ate there on Saturday night, it was good, but not great, and there are plenty of other great options in the nearby area. The bar at the Solamar JBar however is excellent, great scene with lots of beautiful people.

For Italian downtown I would rec La Strada, Osteria panevino, and D'Medici in that order. For seafood Blue Point, steak, the flemings downtown. For a hip atmosphere and good food try Chive, Confidential or Aubregine.

If you want to venture out of downtown to La Jolla (up the coast about 15-20 minutes) there are a bunch of excellent choices as well. The Marine Room for steak/seafood in an unbelieveable oceanfront setting or Tapenade for French, both are very highly rated.

Check out www.signonsd.com for restaurant listings and reviews.

Hope this helps, enjoy! Feel free to ask any more questions

-S

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Additionally, I would second the rec on Parallel 33, however not on Acqua al 2. While good, I think there are other better options for Italian.

Pangea and Indigo Grill are two additional interesting choices.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Home after a week in San Diego. A few comments on some of the places we got to.

First of all. San Diego is lovely and the weather was wonderful.

222 cafe. A very cool little place and the breakfast was outstanding. Not ready for 30 buck for two breakfasts every day, but once in a while would be fine. Young staff, very friendly and efficient no one wearing waffle hats however.

Grape on Fifth. Had a couple nice flights of wine in this tiny place. We did not eat here however. Bartender was very nice and she even recognized and spoke to us when we were in another place for dinner the next night.

Red Pearl Kitchen. Really liked this place. Young hip crowd with a very cool bar. Inventive drinks made with real infusions. However, all were vodka based. Some of there concoctions would have been even better with a different base.

Food was nice as well. Had several of the small plates their menu laughingly call "tapas". Not that, but not bad either. For the gaslamp area, not overpriced either.

Ciero's Pizza. had a couple of slices for lunch and it was not bad. Was touted as the best in San Diego. If that's true, pizza is not a reason to visit San Diego. Nothing wrong with it, but around here there is much better.

La Fiesta on Fifth. I know not any of the places you all touted for Mexican. However, time was an issue. I thought this was fine. Certainly much better than anything in my area. Very nice service. I am not a margriaita drinker, but my wife enjoyed hers. She clearly knew it was not from a mix. I guess this is a tourist Mexican place. but I enjoyed the meal and the staff and would eat here again. Gaslamp prices of course.

Tin Fish. My wife's first fish tacos and she loved them. I thought they were pretty good as well. Nice little place just across from the Convention center.

Enjoyed walking to Seaport Village for Ben and Jerry’s. That was some real tourist pricing, but the ice cream is good.

We were in Balboa Park on Sunday and the international village was open. It was Peru day and we ate a nice lunch of Peruvian food.

A couple of duds. We went to Old Town as my wife got a tip on a place for silver jewelry. She knows much more about that then me and seemed happy with the price. We came out of the store and walked down the street. She saw the Coyote Cafe. I was more thirsty than hungry, but it was lunch. Nothing special here. A nice touristy place. Had carnitas and the pork was tough and dry, unlike what I had at LaFiesta. However, I knew this was coming as soon as I walked in. I could just see what it was, so no real complaints.

The one and only real disappointment to us was the Top of the Hyatt lounge. We stayed at the Marriot but walked over for a drink one night. What great views!!! What lousy service!! The place was not busy and we waited and waited to be served. We finally were by a snotty waiter. There was also a group of about five guys who were clearly drunk off their asses and should have been flagged, and after having to listen to them for a while, thrown out. There was a guy who seemed to be a manager of some type but he mostly seemed scared. Seems a shame that Hyatt is using that valuable real estate for a lounge and not interested in running it.

Lots of places we wanted to get to, but the convention cut into the time. Thanks to all for the tips. .

Bertram's at Mr A's is not only good (and $$) but has a fabulous view of the planes flying by, nearly at restaurant level. Hard to match.

If it werent that you (reasonably) desire to stay close to the hotel, I'd say drive out to Rancho Santa Fe for dinner at Milles Fleurs. Its a long drive (45 min).

Same owner as Mr A's.

• 2 weeks later...

We're going down to SD for a quick midweek holiday before Labor Day and will stay near Gaslamp. We'd like some Thai and thought about tapas for lunch. Are these still great places? Thanks in advance for your comments

Da Captain

Captain Hongo

I like La Gran Tapa, if I'm not in a hurry.

Another place for similar food, same neighborhood, is Ole Madrid, which is perhaps more family oriented.

Here's a list & a website: http://where2eat.com/Spanish_restaurant.htm

Cafe Sevilla 555 4th Ave.

San Diego, CA 92101 • (619) 233-5979

La Gran Tapa 611 B St.

San Diego, CA 92101 • (619) 234-8272

Ole Madrid 751 Fifth Ave.

San Diego, CA 92101 • (619) 557-0146

Tapas Picasso Spanish Restaurant 3923 4th Ave.

San Diego, CA 92103 • (619) 294-3061

Tesoro Restaurante & Taberna 548 Fifth Ave.

San Diego, CA 92101 • (619) 234-5670

I have eaten at Sevilla on several occasions, while touristy it is still quite good and has a fun atmosphere. While i have not eaten at Tesoro I have heard good things about it.

Rama is also excellent, i highly reccommend it. While it is not the cheap, streetfood type of thai food some people desire it is very delicious and suprisingly authentic. Very cool room with a lounge in front and we had great service. Decent wine list too. If you can get the mango and rice desert, it is amazing. Its sticky thai rice, sweeted coconut milk, and fresh cut mango, great for summer. The same group also has a restaurant called Celadon as well which is also very good. www.signonsd.com is a good site for other restaurant ideas.

Enjoy!

Rama is very good. Ask to sit in the back next to the waterfall. The whole wall is adorned with rocks and foliage with water cascading down. Each table is also seperated with floor to ceiling curtains that add very nicely to the atmosphere. Doesn't block your view of the back either.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band