• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in San Diego

Bashful3

I-8 and I-15 is pretty much Qualcomm Stadium and hillside office buildings.  But back in the 70's and 80's there used to be a glass restaruant underneath I-8 and I-805.  It was one of the old "fern bar" style places, early Houlihan's.  I think it is currently a Todai buffet restaurant now, definitely not a steakhouse.

The glass restaurant was called Lehr's Greenhouse and, yes, is now a Japanese buffet restaurant.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Check out the Gaslamp Strip Club. It's actually a steak house that got it's name from its signature strip steaks. Depending on the size of your party, you may be able to reserve the private area. It has a bar and it's 21 and over to get in the restaurant. Oh yeah, you have to grill your own steak. We were there about a year or so ago and had a great time. This is definitely fitting for a bachelor's party. :wink:

For a wild and fun party, Dick's Last Resort will not dissappoint. I threw my girlfriends Bachlorette party there. We all had a blast. They have packages you can buy to make the party throwing go easier. Dinner was ok, we were there to get drunk, not to dine on fancy food. There was a set price menu, a t-shirt, bumper sticker, and a fallous looking cake that was the show stopper. It's easy and less of a headache then planning the whole thing yourself. It gives you time to have fun too. Good luck with the party.

• 3 weeks later...

I might be making a trip to San Diego soon....looking for some good intel on places....I remembered eating at the Coronado Country Club a few years ago....it was a great bargain as they cant make a profit due to a city charter...so they put everything back into the course and the food....anyone else been there?...

I am also looking for good lobster in Rosorito or TJ

Chris

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

For me a visit to San Diego is never without stopping by Ichicban for whole-in-the-wall Japanese (although you have Gardena so there may not be a purpose) and Extraordinary Desserts which truly are extra-ordinary.

http://www.extraordinarydesserts.com/extraordinarydesserts/

My suggestions:

Fins for great fish tacos:

http://www.fins.net/locations.htm

Rockin Baja Lobster for Slipper tail lobsters

http://www.rockinbaja.com/test/001

Shozen BBQ for Korean BBQ & Sushi

http://www.shozenbbq.com/

Nobu for sushi: (get the dynamite)

http://www.nobu.signonsandiego.com/

Indian food (in a strip mall in Mira Mesa that is our little India)

http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/profile/112180/

really great local place for sausage:

http://www.thelinkery.com/

I might be making a trip to San Diego soon....looking for some good intel on places....I remembered  eating at the Coronado Country Club a few years ago....it was a great bargain as they cant make a profit due to a city charter...so they put everything back into the course and the food....anyone else been there?...

I am also looking for good lobster in Rosorito or TJ

Chris

Hi, Chris--

I'm afraid I'm no help whatsoever on either Coronado or lobster as such (both great good things but I don't do either often enough to be offering advice :smile: ). I can, however, offer you some random opinions about good cheap eats ... here and here.

Actually, a local champ of good cheap dining, especially ethnic of all sorts, is mmm-yoso.

If this kind of stuff interests you, I'd be happy to offer more random opinions as they occur to me. One place that I know is not in either of my links is Sushi Ota on the outskirts of Pacific Beach. Luscious sushi.

If you have time for a slice, check out Bronx Pizza (111 Washington St., San Diego, CA 92103; 619-291-3341). I think they make a better pie than anyone here in LA...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

For Baja style lobster skip Tijuana and drive through Rosarito to Puerto Nuevo. That's where it all started eons ago. You can't miss it because it's over built and hyped, but you can still get a lobster dinner for about $20 +/- USD...........and you'll have about 60 restaurants to choose from, all serving the very same thing, grilled lobster, rice, beans and tortillas.

Ortega's is one of the oldest Puerto Nuevo lobster family restaurants, and they've got several of 'em. The one I like is on the 2nd corner of the main road as you drive in. They do a pretty consistent job on their lobster, plus they make a mean margarita. The border wait crossing back into the U.S. can be mind-numbingly long. There is a new way to satisfy those Baja lobster cravings in San Diego. One of the Oretga sons has opened his own restaurant in Hillcrest on University. It's called - what else - Ortega's :biggrin: It's been open about 7-8 months and buzz is strong.

Across the street from Ortega's is Chilango's, which serves some of the best Mexican food in the city. It's menu isn't about the usual taqueria suspects, but about food typically found in Mexico City. Their sauces are very good. But if you do want the usual taqueria suspects look no further than Mama Testa Taqueria, which offers 26 varieties of tacos from all over the Republic of Mexico. The pibil is fabulous and it's actually slow roasted in banana leaves. I love chorizo in Mexico but hate it in the U.S. Mama Testa makes their own chorizo and it's a pleasure to eat.

A previous poster mentioned Fins for fish tacos. Alas, Fins is no longer. After 16 years the owners came to the conclusion that they had grown this small regional chain as far as they could and it was time to bow out to do other things and live life, so they sold it. If you happen to want a decent fish taco check out El Zarape in University Heights. It's on Park Blvd. right before it dead-ends at Adams Ave. This is probably the best fish taco in San Diego at the moment, and it's only $.99 to boot.

The best Mexican food in San Diego is at Super Cocina on University and Cherokee. This is real comida casera, home cooking. Don't be put off by the steam table service, their guisados are fantastic. Don't know what to try, or even what it is? Ask for a taste, una prueba, and they'll give you a small sample of whatever looks good. Portions are generous. This is stick-to-your-ribs Mexican food like an abuelita might make. Not for the diet conscious or unadventurous eater :wink:

You would think that San Diego would have good Mexican food, but it's not really all that great. If you want to spend some time in the seedier parts of town you can ferret out some really decent stuff, but the bulk of what's offered is pretty mediocre. Carnitas Uruapan in Lemon Grove is worth finding for dynamite carnitas. This is a sister restaurant to the one in Tijuana. El Por Venir in Barrio Logan also does exceptional carnitas as does Porkyland also in the Barrio and in La Jolla (go figure). Some folks like Las Cuatro Milpas, I've been underwhelmed on each visit and think it's overrated.

Have fun and enjoy your visit.

Edited by kalypso (log)

Porkyland? What a great name for a Carnitas joint...where is the Barrio in San Diego and where the heck is Lemon Grove?

Chris

Porkyland also makes and distributes some pretty decent corn tortillas too :smile:

Barrio Logan is what used to be called Southeast San Diego because it is just a little bit South and a little bit East of downtown. It's in the general vicinity of where the Coronado Bay Bridge and the I-5 meet up, on the East side of the freeway. Used to be called Logan Heights when it was a Black enclave, became Barrio Logan as the Hispanic community expanded into the area. Safe during the day, a little dicey at night. There is a farmer's market there on Sunday's on Imperial, big building, visible from the I-5 going South just past Balboa Park, some of the food stalls are worth exploring.

If you go East on Hwy. 94 from downtown, take the Euclid exit and go South about a mile or so. When you cross the trolley tracks you will see a Food 4 Less shopping center. At the back and to one side is Magnolia's, which is arguable the best Southern restaurant in San Diego. Not that we have a lot of Southern restaurants mind you, but Magnolias will make you want to write bad checks. Oysters, fried cat fish, fried chicken and some outstanding collards. Be sure to save room for the peach cobbler, though the bread pudding isn't bad either. Also in the same genre, Bud's Louisiana Food Shoppe in Little Italy serves up some fresh and flavorful Cajun/Creole food. It's a good lunch spot if you happen to be doing the tourist thing in Little Italy. As are Pete's and The Waterfront. Pete's for sandwichs, The Waterfront for burgers and dive bar ambience.

I don't think any trip to San Diego is complete without sampling some Pho:

pho-bowl.JPG

My preferred place is here:

http://www.sdcitybeat.com/article.php?id=1...estaurantReview

You can actually see browned spots on the tables from years of having hot bowls of beef noodle soup served on them day in and day out :) You'll either love it or you'll hate it, the vermicelli noodle dishes are also good.

"He's, uh, talking to the ketchup, now."

"Ketchup.... Catsup?"

"Ketchup?.... Catsup"

"Could you come along with us, sir?"

"Are you here to solve my Ketchup problem?"

Chris, are you talking cheep eetz or high-end fine dining or in-between?

What kind of food are you interested in?

The Fish Market does well. Nice view, good food. Stay downstairs. Top of the Market has similar menu for significant mark-up.

Can go inexpensive (chowder and the free bread) or not.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

For BBQ that can't be beat. Shortly after moving down here 21 years ago from the bay area, I began a quest to find a good bbq place. I had a list I downloaded from the net and just started going down it until I found one I liked. Phil's was #4 down the list. I never made it to #5.

I second Puerto Nuevo for the lobster.

Rockin Baja Lobster in Old Town is pretty good as is Coyote Grill for Mexican.

I always recommend Nacho's Taco Shop at 7589 Univeristy Ave in La Mesa. Until recently moving, I lived a block away from this place and the ate there all the time. Very good. Not typical for a taco shop. Al Pastor taco's are great as is the shrimp ceviche. If you get carne asada, ask them to cook it with their salsa...yumm.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Two Del Mar faves are The Brigantine (GREAT fish tacos) and Pamplemousse (high end california french fusion--try the creme brulee trio for dessert!). And the best Mexican food I had there was at Fidel's, which is in this weird, residential area called the EG. If you can find it, it's good. And if you're not from some other California town where they already exist, I'd suggest a lunch at In-N-Out Burger--truly a fast food revelation. Ask for your burger Animal Style, and they'll add onions sauteed in mustard. Yum!

:smile:

The food of thy soul is light and space; feed it then on light and space. But the food of thy body is champagne and oysters; feed it then on champagne and oysters; and so shall it merit a joyful resurrection, if there is any to be. --Herman Melville

• 5 weeks later...

Whats going on in San Diego (County)?

Where have you eaten recently, and what did you think?

So as not to compete with the Cheap Eatz thread, perhaps this thread should focus on the restaurants you wouldnt take small children to, but I'd be delighted if we could just get on-going discussion of the local food 'scene', at any level. Obviously, most of these restaurants are in the decent-meal for a decent-price category, but not cutting edge for cuisine. I'm particularly interested because things change pretty quickly, especially downtown.

Also, are there chefs you'd follow from one restaurant to another? Is there anyone in town who's that distinctive, creative, interesting to you?

Have you seen the Flying Fairy of Wine at Ostra?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Here I go, revealing my inner (and outer) hick.

Last month, we ate at Osetra: The FishHouse downtown.

The 'gimic's are the caviar and the Flying Fairy of Wine.

No one ordered caviar; osetra or sevruga. I dont remember beluga being on the menu.

The menu is not innovative. The food was well prepared and delicious. The featured ingredients are abundant (ex: lobster/crab ravioli were filled with lobster/crab, not with crab-flavored breadcrumbs). For what its worth, the portions were large - leftovers all round. Since we were headed to the opera after, no doggie bags.

The prices are steep for this category of dining in this town:

$28 for a plate of pasta. $11-19 for a dinner salad. Wine by the glass $11-$20. One salad, one glass of wine, one pasta order came to $70 w tax/tip (18%, included by the server as party was >= 6).

The restaurant is not for small children. Its nicely decorated and divided into spaces of 6-8 tables (downstairs). They have a 'bead' curtain made of curtain weights hung very close together that served to separate our area from the bar - I liked it. The music is a tad loud for conversation. One couple asked to be moved to a different table as they were under a speaker and couldnt hear each other.

The Flying Fairy of Wine: Osetra has a rectangle wine-cellar extending in a column from floor to near the ceiling (2 floors), and lit with blue neon. A young-person in yoga togs wears a black waist harness (climbers harness?) and is snapped into two cables. She 'flies' up to the location of the bottle you ordered, and gets it out of the cellar. Bottles are transported back to earth in hip-panniers, allowing her to pull more than one selection per flight. This allows her to walk like spiderman about the column.

Its cute.

They also have a vodka bar etc.

Our party ranged from new parents to new social-security collectors. Everyone enjoyed the meal and can describe highlights in detail. No one wants to go back.

This is more for the hip - those who need both hands to drink their $16 martinis (to quote MeganBlocker from another thread).

I stayed in La Jolla the last time I was in San Diego, and there are several places there that I enjoyed, but I can't remember the names. If you go to La Jolla, you can ask someone at an art gallery to recommend a place - I found it very friendly, especially during the day.

Otherwise, I like Khyber Pass Afghan Restaurant in Hillcrest. The food I had was excellent, and it's a cuisine I don't often find.

• 2 weeks later...

I love to introduce friends to Khyber Pass. I first ate there in the late 80's, when they were in a small mall on Convoy Street. The food was good; we had the good fortune to arrive on a day the owners were celebrating a Russian setback, and had prepared a special celebratory dish not (at the time) on the menu. I had the vegetarian sampler plate and my companion had the special lamb with orange/raisin rice. It was delicious.

Next time I went, they'd moved a block or two, and were in another small mall. The restaurant was decorated as if one were entering and dining inside a cave. The orange/raisin dish was now on the menu and the vegetarian sampler was still delicious. I ate many good meals at that location. When the American forces were the ones dealing with the Afghani caves, I imagine the decor lost some of its appeal.

The last 3 times I've been was to the Hillcrest location, over a 2 year period. A more sophisticated look (with a waterfall wall), same delicious food. The Mr is particularly enamored of the lamb with cherry sauce (the proper name for which escapes me at the moment; ???? cholow). I still cant select my fav veg prep of all the options available.

So I stopped by the new bakery Heaven Sent at 30th and University in North Park last Saturday. They've done a masterful job on the remodel of the old space. Everything inside is sleek and trendy; I especially loved their coffee cups which are the "Wave" pattern from Villory-Boch. The desserts looked very attractive.

Be prepared for sticker shock, however, when you ask how much the desserts are. $12 for a plated dessert and $9 for most of the rest of them. I don't care how good it's supposed to be, at $12 for dessert in San Diego, in a transitionary/marginal neighborhood, it seems a bit incongruous. Not feeling the need to splurge on dessert, my friend and I ordered a scone, 2 cookies and 2 coffees, which came to $12.......$8.50 of which was for the scone and cookies. The coffee was super, the scone was moist with a light lemon flavor, the sugar crusted gingersnap was really good; I'd order that again in a heartbeat. The other cookie, a sea-salted oatmeal cookie was, well, salty, very, very salty, to the point where it detracted from the cookie rather than enhancing whatever flavor there was. To be fair, when we mentioned this to the server who cleared our table, she thanked us for the feedback and that we mention it to the chef/owner and said they'd replace it if we wanted. We didn't having had our sweet tooths satisfied by the scone and gingersnap.

This particular stretch of University has been undergoing a bit of redevelopment and the folks with expendable income are slowly moving into the neighborhood and it will, I'm sure, see a renaissance in the years to come. Heaven Sent has a prime location which will probably help it succeed in spite of the $12 price tag on desserts, which is high for San Diego and very high for this neighborhood. They've also got Cafe Calabria a half block down the street which serves swell coffee and better than average pastries at less than half the price.

Edited by kalypso (log)