• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in San Diego

Bashful3

Sorry if this is a redundant request, as I know there are a few threads about restaurant recommendations in San Diego, but I am geographically impaired. :rolleyes:

I will be in San Diego for a few days starting 9/23 and am staying at the Hilton Resort on East Mission Bay Drive. Are there any good eats nearby within walking distance? I have a car as well, so I am willing to travel. I am looking for any recommendations, ranging from cheap eats to $$$$ restaurants...all cuisines accepted.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

The Hilton is sort of by itself, and I don't think you can comfortably walk to anything from there.  Downtown, Old Town, the beaches and the Convoy area are all a short drive though.

Yeah, that resort is sort of in the middle of Mission Bay Park--very pretty down there, but there's nothing but park for a good ways all around it.

However, you're only about two miles away from one of the best sushi places in San Diego, Sushi OTA. (I suppose, if you're a dedicated walker, you could get there on foot ... but I wouldn't want to walk back with the full tummy you'll have from feasting on their excellent offerings. :biggrin: )

You're also, as Carlsbad already observed, just a couple miles by car away from Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, and Ocean Beach, all of which offer a variety of eating options from cheap to not-so; plus just a little further drive away from Convoy St. in Kearny Mesa where a large number of Asian and other restaurants congregate. In this post, I list two places on Convoy and one in Pacific Beach. In Ocean Beach, my current personal fave cheap eats are Hodad's (humongous burgers) and Ranchos Cocina (decent Mexican, with very tasty vegetarian/vegan options).

As to more expensive dining options, I'll have to leave that for others to recommend. :smile:

I'm a bit geographically challenged as well but I swear by Fin's.

www.fins.net for the best shrimp burrito on earth.

Seriously.

Arranged my upcoming trip to LA and Hawaii to arrive in San Diego just to get a fix and am then driving up to LA....

Jennifer

Im sorry to say that all the Fins location except Mira Mesa and La Jolla have closed down.

Seriously.

Arranged my upcoming trip to LA and Hawaii to arrive in San Diego just to get a fix and am then driving up to LA....

Jennifer

Im sorry to say that all the Fins location except Mira Mesa and La Jolla have closed down.

I just need the La Jolla location to stay open til Feb. :blink: Very sad to hear about the Mission Valley location as that was very convienent to downtown and the Gas Lamp. Mr. BLB had his first shrimp burrito there...

Jennifer

Seriously.

Jennifer

The Mira mesa location will close in a few days and the La Jolla locations is sold to somebody else who will keep the name but it is not sure what will happen to the food.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am bumping this up in hopes of any additional information that might now be available. We are leaning toward a restaurant dinner out, and general bar-hopping for the rest of the evening and the midnight celebration. Thanks!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I live in the San Diego area, but I've hosted a party on New Years for the past 22 years, so I'm a bit out of touch with what goes on at that time around here. You might want to call the Westgate Hotel, and see what they are doing for New Years. I think they might do it as well as anyone in the area. I checked their website, but the calendar didn't go that far, Hey, it's San Diego. :rolleyes: Call them and see what's going on. The hotel is a bit of a fish out of water, but I love it and I'm about your vintage. Where are you staying?

Edited to say I just saw they do talk about New Years on their webpage- see here. Even if you don't go for New Years, try to get by there for a drink.

Edited by Carlsbad (log)

I live in San Diego as well, and New Year's Eve celebrations haven't hit the media yet. In addition to the Westgate, here are some other suggestions:

* The Manchester Hyatt, they usually have several parties going

* Either of the Marriotts - Convention Center or Petco Park. The Petco Marriott has a rooftop bar on the 22nd floor that has a spectacular view. If the weather co-operates this might be a nice place to start the evening with a drink.

* Several new boutique hotels have opened in the Gaslamp recently including the Kimpton Group's Solamar. It has the JBar on the 4th floor that's fun and the JSix restaurant. Atmosphere is sleek, trendy and uptown. I've eaten at JSix and had very good meals, but others have reported some unevenness, but they will be doing something for New Years. Located at Sixth and J St.

* You can take the water taxi across the bay to Coronado and go to either the Hotel Del or Loew's resort, both always have New Year's parties.

* You could go Spanish. Cafe Sevilla will offer special dinners and flamenco shows. Tapas, paella and a little tango anyone?

* There will be a function on the aircraft carrier Midway

* The local NBC affiliate sponsors a party on the embarcadero which is family oriented. Usually a few bands, food, entertainment for the kids and fireworks at midnight, just no alcohol. Easy trolley access from the Gaslamp, 3 or 4 trolley stops max.

* Chris Isaac is playing the House of Blues

* And if all else fails Google for the Cohn Restaurant Group. They have several Gaslamp venues and all of them are sure to be offering NYE specials.

If you're still staying in or near the Gaslamp, the beauty of it for you is that there will be all kinds of functions going on in that area and you should be able to walk between most of them until you find what suits your tastes.

This link can get you started too -New Year's Celebrations in San Diego

.....but I love it and I'm about your vintage.  Where are you staying?

Our "vintage", I like that. :wink: I looked at the Westgate sites and it does look good, as do the menus. We are staying at the Marriott in the Gaslamp district -- the one, as mentioned by kalypso, that is by Petco Park and has a bar on the 22nd floor. We surely will be in that bar more than once during our stay at the hotel. I don't suppose anyone as been in the restaurant that is in the hotel, Soleil on K.....???

Speaking of our "vintage," I did some web searching last night, and read San Diego eGullet threads from the past year or so, and decided that though the food looks real good in several places (such as Chive), I think a lot of them might be too crowded or fast paced or loud for us. Crowded, fast paced, and loud will be OK for closer to midnight, but for dinner that night, we're hoping for something more relaxed and romantic. Rama, G5/George's on Fifth, and Trattoria La Strada are among the places that appealed to me as possibilites.

We will be in San Diego for four nights -- two in an apartment in the complex where my son's girlfriend lives and two at this Marriott, so I am getting ideas of restaurants and bars for us to hit while we're there. Much of our time will be spent with my son and his girlfriend and some with her parents who live in La Jolla, but there will be time for the two of us to try out a few places on our own.

The Petco Marriott has a rooftop bar on the 22nd floor that has a spectacular view.  If the weather co-operates this might be a nice place to start the evening with a drink.

That is probably the most definite plan so far. :biggrin: ...That, and Stone Brewing Co. at some point during our trip.

*  You can take the water taxi across the bay to Coronado.....

I think that is something we will find time to do during our stay, too.

*  You could go Spanish.  Cafe Sevilla will offer special dinners and flamenco shows.  Tapas, paella and a little tango anyone?

*  There will be a function on the aircraft carrier Midway

*  The local NBC affiliate sponsors a party on the embarcadero which is family oriented.  Usually a few bands, food, entertainment for the kids and fireworks at midnight, just no alcohol. Easy trolley access from the Gaslamp, 3 or 4 trolley stops max.

*  Chris Isaac is playing the House of Blues

*  And if all else fails Google for the Cohn Restaurant Group.  They have several Gaslamp venues and all of them are sure to be offering NYE specials.

You have mentioned a few of the things I made note of last night. I do want to go aboard the Midway at some time, what with my son being in the Navy and all. Is the food at Sevilla good?

His girlfriend who is stationed in San Diego and was born and raised there said what you did about there being all kinds of functions going on, and something about perhaps some streets being closed off, so it will be good for us staying in the area. All this pretty much leaves us with the decision of where to eat dinner on New Year's Eve. But still, I welcome -- and hope for -- more ideas and suggestions for dinners or lunches and for what-not-to-miss while we're in town. The ideas I got here on the California Forum were so helpful in the planning of my roadtrip in June, consulting with you all here has become essential for me in travel planning. Thanks!

Click here for theSoleil @ K menu

I have not eaten there yet, and only know of one person that has; her take was that it was very good.

I, too, am a San Diego native and probably around your "vintage" as well :wink: . The thing about the Gaslamp is that you'll find almost as many locals there as visitors. Restaurants are cheek-by-jowl there, if you don't like one, the one next door might be better. Here's a list of even more choices for you, some for New Year's, some for the rest of the time --

Candelas - upscale Mexican in the style of Mexico City, which is to say with strong Continental influences. Atmosphere is dark and romantic, food is mostly quite good.

Dobson's Steak House - a long time local favorite and also quite good.

The Fish Market/Top of the Market - Top of the Market does fish really well and would be suitable for a nice quiet evening.

Oceanaire - opened this year to stellar and well earned reviews

Osterio Panevino

Blue Point Costal

Dakota Grill

JSix - 1 block north of your hotel. I've had dinner and brunch there and both were outstanding. I took my mother and aunt for brunch, both are in their mid-80s. They both enjoyed it and have said they'd like to go back.

McCormick & Schmick's - is also a short walk away from your hotel in the Omni. It opened to horrid reviews, has made some adjustments and is currently flying under the radar, so I'd use a little bit of caution in choosing to eat here.

Tin Fish - just past the Omni, try it for lunch

Bandar - pretty good Middle Eastern

Bread on Market - nice oversized sandwiches, close to Petco

Chopahn - Afghan

Lou & Mickey's - yet another steak house

Panda Inn - in Horton Plaza

Napa Valley Grill - also in Horton Plaza

Cafe Chloe

Cafe Cerisse - food is somewhat uneven, and it can get noisy.

The Field - Irish pub with pretty decent food

The Yard House - 130 beers available

Luigi's - in Golden Hill, for pizza

All of these (except Luigi's) should be within walking distance of your hotel.

As for La Jolla, tons of choices there. I like Nine-Ten, especially for breakfast. Roppongi and Fresh both do Happy Hour where everything on their appetizer menu is half price. Both are fairly upscale and their app menus have a varied and interesting selection. Apps. are large enough to share among 4 adults and it's easy to make a meal doing that. Roppongi is Asian inspired, Fresh is seafood.

I have very fond memories of the Marine Room. Sunday brunch is a buffet, but what a buffet it is. Around $40 +/-. This is also the time of year that they do Hide Tide Breakfast. The restaruant sits right on the beach and the waves often break on the windows. That's around $30 or $35. Check the link above for the dates, it usually coincides with New Years, depending on the tides, of course.

And finally, here's a couple of links to other resources for you:

San Diego Reader

San Diego U/T

Databases that you can search by type of cuisine, location, price.

Good luck and have a great time. It's usually a pretty nice time of year to visit.

WOW! Awesome good info, kalypso. We have added another (two more actually) definites to our plans. I just found the website for Yard House. I am so excited about that, and this entire trip. I don't think I've ever seen so many good beers on tap anywhere, and it's walking distance from our hotel. We will be there. You made my day.

Also, I just made the dinner reservation for New Year's Eve. Last night during the process of my "research," I emailed Trattoria La Strada and first thing this morning had a very nice response from them in my mailbox, and I made a reservation.

My favorite restaurant in San Diego is Kyber Pass, which is Afghan style. I've been a bit disappointed with the places in Gas Town and more impressed with the restaurants in La Jolla, where the choices are much better IMO. I recommend lunch or brunch in La Jolla in one of the cliffside restaurants overlooking the water.

BTW, Chris Isaak tickets start at $218.00, if you haven't bought them yet!

Edited by LarsTheo (log)

My favorite restaurant in San Diego is Kyber Pass, which is Afghan style.  I've been a bit disappointed with the places in Gas Town and more impressed with the restaurants in La Jolla, where the choices are much better IMO.  I recommend lunch or brunch in La Jolla in one of the cliffside restaurants overlooking the water.

BTW, Chris Isaak tickets start at $218.00, if you haven't bought them yet!

Thanks, but I'll pass on Chris. If the House of Blues there is anything like our House of Blues in Orlando, this vintage is too well aged to enjoy that performance. :smile:

Khyber Pass sounds good, though. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread, as I too will be bringing in the New Year in SD. Like Susan, I'm trying to find somewhere nice to have dinner before we bar-hop around the Gaslamp. We are actually staying at the Westgate, but I dont think their events are going to work for us - the difficulty being that I am a vegetarian. I have yet to find a good restaurant for New Yr's with veg options! I tried Rice at the W but they are booked. We're relatively young (29) so dont want anywhere too stuffy, but also not really into the loud club scene either...

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks :)

I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread, as I too will be bringing in the New Year in SD.  Like Susan, I'm trying to find somewhere nice to have dinner before we bar-hop around the Gaslamp.  We are actually staying at the Westgate, but I dont think their events are going to work for us - the difficulty being that I am a vegetarian.  I have yet to find a good restaurant for New Yr's with veg options!  I tried Rice at the W but they are booked. We're relatively young (29) so dont want anywhere too stuffy, but also not really into the loud club scene either...

Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Thanks :)

How strict a vegetarian are you? San Diego isn't exactly a hotbed of vegetarian dining but I think there are a few pretty good options for you. Are you looking for upscale for dinner or something more moderate before you embark on the celebrating? Also will you have wheels or are you going to be limited to the downtown area?

If you're willing hop in a cab and don't mind spending a bit of cash, you might consider Laurel. This link should get you to their menu. You should also be able to access the web page and menu for Chive, which is in the Gaslamp and generally has very good food. Chive and Laurel are owned by the same folks.

Terra restaurant in Hillcrest does a really nice job with vegetables and is quite reasonable. Their holiday menus are on their web site as a PDF file and it includes New Year's Eve. There is a notation on their New Year's menu that vegetarian options are available. I'd hop on that one, I sometimes think Terra does vegetables almost better than it does meat!

Also a short ride from the downtown area is Parallel 33 which is one of my favorite restaurants in SD. They do not have a web site, but the phone number is (619) 260-0033, you could call and see if they can accommodate a vegetarian. Quality is consistent, prices are fair, service is friendly, relaxed and professional. I was last there in September for a special meal the chef was doing and it was, far and away, the best meal I've had in the 5 years I've been back in San Diego (my home town).

Decidedly more downscale......okay a LOT more downscale is Pokez on the fringe of the Gaslamp. It is primarily vegetarian, Mexican vegetarian. People either like it or they don't. Pokez caters to a younger crowd (i.e. under 30) and hosts poetry slams and a wide range of music, most of local and alternative.

And I don't know that I'd completely rule out the Westgate. They do a huge NYE party which I think is primarily buffet. Most buffets these days do seem to offer a better selection of vegetarian choices, even in San Diego.

BTW, weather today is mild, hazy sun and around 70* :biggrin:

You might consider Region, which isn't a vegetarian restaurant, but they do have great vegetable dishes. It's not downtown, but not too far away.

The Westgate website doesn't mention a buffet- only fixed dinners for New Years Eve, but if you asked them in advance, they might do something special for you. The staff at that hotel are very accomodating. The Sunday brunch buffet is a big event.

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses!

We will have a car, but I think that night we'd prefer to be within walking distance of the hotel. I'll look into these options.

Has anyone ever heard of Galileo 101? They havea decent looking NYE menu.

That weather sounds amazing! I can't wait! :)