• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thin white bread

OK, here's an issue that's bugged me for awhile.

I occasionally run across recipes calling for "thin white bread"--particularly for appetizers. (But today I see a similar note in the new Fine Cooking in a berry pudding recipe. But I digress...)

Mention is frequently made of the Pepperidge Farm bread. I swear, I cannot find this stuff in the northwest. I even did a web search looking for distributors, etc. but no luck.

I'm sure there are decent substitutes for those rare occasions when you NEED a thin white bread. But I'm just wondering if I'm a crazy person....Has anyone else seen the PF around the NW? And does anyone have a favorite substitute?

MySiuMai

Pepperidge Farm was better than most back in the seventies. Once good, small local bakeries started coming in, it lost its flavor. Find good little bakery and slice it thin.

Just encountered this and want to say...PF is also not sold in the SF Bay Area. At least I can't find it. And I miss it. I seem to have a choice between artisanal breads which go stale within one day...if they aren't already stale when I buy them...and bubble breads. PF used to be a bridge between the two. :sad:

Lobster.

Pepperidge Farm was better than most back in the seventies. Once good, small local bakeries started coming in, it lost its flavor. Find good little bakery and slice it thin.

2 ¾ cups unbleached white bread flour

¼ cup canola/corn/safflower oil

1-teaspoon active dry yeast

¼ cup white sugar

½ teaspoon salt

18 tablespoons warm whole milk

Try this recipe and make the bread at home. I believe you will find this recipe produces a superior product to the PF bread and your final product will excel.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

As a general rule, the farther you get from Norwalk, Connecticut, the worse your Pepperidge Farm product selection tends to be.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks for the recipe possibility. I know that Bernard Clayton has a Pullman loaf recipe that is supposed to be good. Someday when I'm inspired I'll give them a shot.

Yesterday I bought some German-manufactured bread... Mestermacher....very thin sliced. Cello-wrapped, no preservatives. I thought it might be a good alternative.

Well, sad to say, it isn't. I used the whole-rye version (though I also bought a "loaf" called their Health Loaf but haven't opened it) and made thin little sandwiches with red onion, braunschweiger, a swipe of tintern cheese and a bit of mayo and a nice leaf of bibb lettuce.

The ingredients were great, but the bread--which I had hoped might have the nice texture of a date-nut loaf--instead tasted simply bland, plastic, and dry. A disappointment. In some ways it doesn't even seem thoroughly baked.

For some reason am I repeatedly attracted, lately, to the concept of tea sandwiches with yummy fillings: egg salad, liverwurst, tapenade, date-nut loaf with a nice monterey jack. Little green onions. Chives, watercress, radishes, etc.

Don't mind me...I'm just venting/drooling. I'm going to settle for a Trader Joe's chicken enchilada topped with quark and salsa verde!

I believe Orowheat makes some thin-sliced loaves that are available locally. Not sure if they're white, rye or what....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946