• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HELP - how to make thick cookies

twist77

Twist,

Feh on the cookie recipe I just posted. It's not worth your time. I'll give it a very low 4 out of 5. The cookies were fairly puffy, but they weren't dense like you want and they seemed a little less "short" than they needed to be. They were crisp on the outside and tender on the inside, but they lacked complexity and character.

Here's a picture.

loricookie.jpg

You might want to try increasing the baking temp and baking for a shorter amount of time. This allows the proteins to set up faster before spreading occurs. Try 375 degrees and see if that helps maybe. Just a thought!

-Elizabeth

Mmmmmmm chocolate.

Had some great success over the weaken tweaking temp & times using Elizabeth11's great recipe. In addition, instead of keeping the batter in the freezer during each baking session, I preformed each 1/2 cup "puck" and then placed in freezer - I think this really helped to maintain the shape and height.

Now that I'm zeroing in on the recipe & baking, I'd love to hear some great suggestions for ingredients... Perhaps you have some interesting combos? Gourmet additions? Or just general tips on ingredient choices (ie: chocolate recomendations, vanilla extract recomendations et)

Thanks again for all the help