• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mr. Taco

Stone

Mr. Taco is indeed open on Sundays, although Señor Taco himself takes that day off.  His staff is so very well-trained that the difference in quality is hardly noticable.

Excellent, thanks! I'll be stopping by there for either Wednesday supper or Sunday lunch (depending on whether Mexican or Pizza sounds good tomorrow night -- the Pizza Factory is also on my radar). Will report back..

Went to Mr. Taco for a late lunch on Wednesday. Ordered the carnitas; she had two soft tacos (pollo and carne asada).

The carnitas were only okay; they seemed a bit dry and greasy, but I was there at an off time, so maybe it was just a bit old. Tortillas that came with it were amazing, and I loved the salsa fresca and the red salsa. Rice and beans were good, but not fabulous. The tacos were definitely better; if I return I'll probably get those.

Oh -- and if you're coming up from the SF area, it's actually the first Dixon exit, not the middle one.

• 1 month later...

Wow, Stone, I saw this thread for the first time...you posted a year to the day after I made my first report about Mr. Taco at Readerville. I saw Varmint's query about a place to eat in Sacramento last week, and posted this there, too.

I am in complete agreement with you, and I've been eating Mexican food in California forever.

It's called "Mr. Taco Restaurante Mexico." It's right across the street from the Carl's Jr., and has the feel of a 1950s roadside diner. Inside, it's cool and dark, and the walls are covered with old photographs of Mexican movie stars, weddings, and families. The menu is handwritten on the dry-erase board with charming spellings like "APPETIIZERS" and "BEFFSTEAK."

I got a Super Burrito with the grilled chicken: rice, beans, lettuce, guacamole, sour cream and some kind of juicy sauce (which was probably just from the bird). It was so flavorful and huge: it took two of us to eat the whole thing. I think it was $4.99.

Funny, the way the sign lettering is colored, my eyes read "Mr. Restaurante Taco Mexicano." :smile:

• 3 months later...

Mr. Taco appears to be in the Yellow Pages: 6134 W A St, Dixon, CA 95620, which is the same street as Carl's Jr. I'm looking forward to trying this on the way to Reno this weekend.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

What a find Stone! Thanks for the info....I'm headed that way now and will stop for lunch!

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Mr. Taco appears to be in the Yellow Pages: 6134 W A St, Dixon, CA 95620, which is the same street as Carl's Jr. I'm looking forward to trying this on the way to Reno this weekend.

Walt

It's on the other side of the overpass as Carl's.

And Stone isn't the only one who found it. He just posted first. It's funny, at my other online community, Readerville, when I posted about it, all these people popped up to say, "THAT'S so SPOOKY! We just ate there! We found that place!"

Except it's pretty much the only thing of note between SF and Tahoe. It's not like a hole in the wall, because it's so distinct, but that uniqueness gives you the feeling it's a hole in the wall.

Bombdog, you're gonna love it.

EDIT: Walt, if you're going to Reno, there is an incomparably good Italian place called La Vecchia there. I posted about it somewhere at eGullet, but haven't got time to find it now. (I'm at a hotel, pressed for time this morning.) A beautiful Italian woman named Patricia opened it when she couldn't find good Italian food in town. She imported her crew from Italy, and eats there daily. It's worth a trip. Fabulous food.

• 4 weeks later...

I was very disappointed in Mr. Taco. It's not bad, but rather mediocre, imo. I guess if you're just looking for an easy stop along the interstate it's okay, but certainly not worth going out of the way for. You can read my pleasant experiences on N. Ca. Mexican food at these two links:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...30entry592987

http://www.extramsg.com/modules.php?name=N...e=article&sid=8