• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French lost without an American nose

ctgm

nonsequiter due to mod. edit

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Who sicked their dog on Bobby? :shock:

Did any eGulleteers make it to VinExpo?

Edited by Craig Camp (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

I missed out on Vinexpo as too expensive (even from England) but heard that all the tents of the Grands Marques had no air conditioning and that their fridges weren't that great. It was only 40ºc!

Parker manages to be both a blessing and a curse upon the French wine industry. His absence has the same effect. Perhaps it will persuade some people to trust their own palates and not rely on somebody else to justify paying too much for decent wine. Perhaps it may also persuade some producers to make the best wine they can and not one that pleases Mr Parker's palate.

Parker manages to be both a blessing and a curse upon the French wine industry.

...upon the world wine industry I think... :shock:

Some importers are buying Italian wines only if they have been reviewed by Mr. Parker!

What about their own noses? On the other side I think that his comments are very precise and professional and the fame of his independency has real foundations.

Who sicked their dog on Bobby? :shock:

Did any eGulleteers make it to VinExpo?

Jacques Hébrard, manager of Cheval Blanc - Parker was there to re-taste his wines after a mediocre review in the WA. Hébrard greeted him at the door and his little dog bit him in the leg. As Parker asked for a bandage, Jacques brandished a recent copy of the Advocate, ignored Parker's bleeding leg, and admonished, "Look what you wrote about my wine" Parker stated he was there to retaste and if he was wrong, he would be the first to admit it. He did retaste it, and he did admit he had underated the vintage.

Greetings all,

Indeed was very hot at Vinexpo with Mondavi and Concha Y Toro having to close down on the first day.

Some of the Australian wines were suffering as well.

Parker ia a classic marketing method oriented towards the American wine public.

French, and other European wine producers, must bare that in mind when hoping for his higher rating.

What is annoying on my behalf, is that European wine merchants use his rating to promote their wines.

We must either lead or follow in the tasting game at a very specific route.

In my opinion, no objectivity can be claimed by any wine taster.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.