• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food v. foodies

Dave:

In the US, I feel the innundation from corporate chain restaurants and agro-businesses can now only be overcome by a modern day Noah. James Beard has passed away and Julia Child isn't a spring capon anymore. FoodTV has been sabotoged and PBS is now only passable. Do you have any space left on your Ark?

HELP!

signed,

concerned foodie

Dear Concerned Foodie,

I share your concern!

Though....frankly.....the implications of your letter are almost too much to bear! Thanks for even implying the things you have. But I don't think it's going to take any one person to steer us back to true gastronomic waters. I do think that there's some room for optimism: I see more foodies, all the time, getting truly interested in real food, real traditions. Chefs in France right now (I've been there three times in the last year) are returning to old flavors, old ways. This will spread, I hope.

Anyway.....I'm not sure many will notice where my ark is headed.....but you can jump on it anytime!