• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Market in/near Tenafly/Englewood

tommy

Are you thinking of Jerry's? This one is just below route 4 (W)  in Englewood, can't think of the excat address at thismoment....

i thought it was jerry's. but the yellow pages says Jerrys Osteria, which i think is just a restaurant. can't find a listing for "jerry's" of any other sort. rachel and jason know the answer. where are they. :angry:

Jerry's Gourmet & More (the store) - I can't find a listing online other than as a retailer for one of their suppliers. Weird.

410 S. Dean Street

Englewood, NJ 07631

(201) 871-8305

Jerry's Osteria (the restaurant) - owned by the same people as the store.

50 Prospect Terrace

Tenafly, NJ 07670

(201) 894-1211

I usually go to Jerry's every other week-

they have great prices on chocolates,candy, soap and hair products, stonewall kitchen sauces, jelly's, teas, and all things italian(pasta, sauce, olives, cheeses, etc.)

On Fridays they have great indivual challahs-plain and with raisins

Joanne

Have you tried Jerry's Osteria yet? It is really wonderful. Great food & service. Very warm atmosphere. We went to a wine dinner there in June. The theme was Food & Wines of the Italian Seaside. Isabella (Jerry's wife) hosts the wine dinners & she is very knowledgeable about the food & wines of Italy. They go to Italy several times a year on buying trips. The next one may be in August & then they will start up regularly again in September.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

Personally, I like Jerry's Osteria, I think there are quite a few dishes at that restaurant that they do very well. That being said there are a few members here that don't like the place at all. Its not a perfect restaurant by any sense (I've had some loser dishes there, like the lobster ravioli which was more stuffing than lobster) but overall my experiences there have been very good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I agree - it's not perfect, but it's one of the better Italian restaurants that we've found in northern NJ. We were there last Thursday & while the food was good, the service was below par. We had a waiter I've never seen before & he was extremely slow & a little condescending. We spoke to Isabella about him when we left & she appreciated the input.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

They have a great selection of olive oil. A great choice is Antixhe Bonta at $10 for 2 liters a real bargain. Anouther great item is white anchovies, very hard to find and not like canned of salted, they're much sweeter. They also haxe a dexent selection of Italian wine. Balthazar bakery is right down the block.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I agree - it's not perfect, but it's one of the better Italian restaurants that we've found in northern NJ.  We were there last Thursday & while the food was good, the service was below par.  We had  a waiter I've never seen before & he was extremely slow & a little condescending.  We spoke to Isabella about him when we left & she appreciated the input.

If you go, try to get Daniele as your waiter, he's the big guy. Really nice, efficient and he knows whats going on.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 2 months later...

wow, this place is fantastic. i've spent a good amount of time here over the last few weeks.

the wines are reasonably priced, and the one fellow with whom i keep talking seems to know a lot about italian wines, and he enjoys talking about them.

i think it's my new favorite place in the world. and their jarred sauce is really good as well.

i think it's my new favorite place in the world.  and their jarred sauce is really good as well.

Tommy, I agree about the jarred sauce. Really excellent and excellent value. Truly the sauce you'd make at home if you had the time. Next time you're there check out the pre-made sandwiches. I had a great italian cold cut sandwich with cheese, roasted peppers, good oil, etc. I ate it in the car, made a big mess and smiled all the way home.

When I first read about this place here, I thought it sounded road-trip-worthy. This thread has confirmed it. Is the wine selection anything special? Or just good prices on standards? This will determine if its a solo trip during the week, or a weekend trip with HWOD. ( Sorry, Suzanne, I've decided to adapt your line, I won't use it a lot...He Who Only Drinks! :wink: )

kim, i don't know much about italian wines. even less than i know about wine in general. the selection isn't huge, but seems well selected. and, if you can get a hold of pasquale, the guy who's usually working that section, he can help navigate the section, if that's of interest to you.

He's got at least a dozen kinds of proseccos, many which I have never seen elsewhere. He has probably a dozen kinds of barolos and barbarescos. Lots of amarone.

His prices on some wines are very good, some just so-so.

If you're gonna make the trip up to Jerry's I'd hit Total Wine as well in River Edge because they have a good italian wine section and the prices they have are good.

Jerry's is certainly a good place, sort of a NY store in NJ, with a lot of unique things. The only gripe I have is that, with all the millions in business he seems to do, can't he spruce up the place a bit? The paint is peeling, and the ceiling tiles are cracked, discolored, and falling down!!! (Hopefully, not into the food)

Jeez menton, how do you notice this stuff? I'm so distracted by the cheese and the salumi and everything else, who stops to notice the tiles and the paint? :laugh:

Jeez menton, how do you notice this stuff? I'm so distracted by the cheese and the salumi and everything else, who stops to notice the tiles and the paint?  :laugh:

That could be why Jerry has done little to clean up the place...

Jason, when I'm buying food, atmosphere and cleanliness is an important consideration!! (I don't want paint chips in my food!)

Many stores spend millions to make their place attractive-- it's the presentation as well as the food...

Next time you are at Jerry's, look up at the ceiling and see if it puts you off as well...

Edited by menton1 (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Jerry's Gourmet & More (the store) 410 S. Dean Street Englewood, NJ 07631 (201) 871-8305

has tons of nonfood items at great prices!

I went there specifically to find Gardenia perfume and it was there! They have makeup, soaps, housewares, great gift items, plus all the fabulous food. Great bakery items. Just a great store. NEVER leave empty-handed!

• 2 months later...

I finally got to Jerry's this weekend. the cheese section alone was worth the [admittedly short] trip...but there were so many other great finds too, such as the amazing hoummus (not something i was expecting to find there, but great nonetheless)...thanks for the tip.