• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fessin' up: Trader Joe's for Summer

I decided to admit that cooking just isn't interesting me right now. So off I headed to Trader Joe's to stock the freezer in the garage.

I can now provide an all-hail to their albacore tuna steaks (which I simply marinated in soy and wasabi and seared for three minutes per side), their pre-seasoned frozen rack of lamb (defrost overnight and then ready in thirty minutes), and their cheese blintzes (thaw, pan-saute in butter, and top with preserves of choice). And all so reasonably priced! (And no, I'm not a shill for them...just grateful!)

Last night I poached some chicken for a salad. Wanting to save the poaching broth for a stock (but wanting to cool it quickly), I divvied it up into two containers for the fridge. Unthinkingly, I put some of the hot broth into an untempered, heavy glass salad bowl. As I walked across the kitchen, the entire bottom of the bowl dropped away and hit the floor. The recently boiled broth sloshed over my hands. I went to bed with my hands in bags of frozen peas!

Perhaps it's a GOOD thing that I'm not in a cooking mood. God knows what tragedies have been averted :raz:

Oh, I do hope you're the sort who heals quickly, MySiuMai! I've had my own encounters with hot liquids (boiling water + bare feet = severe ouch time), so I really do feel for you.

One of my favorite suprises at Trader Joe's is how they've managed to keep the quality so high, even as they've spread from a local chain to the national chain that they are today. Sadly, when my partner and I move East, the closest store will be in Annapolis, not exactly right "in the neighborhood". Your tales of stocking the freezer are good ideas; I may be taking along an ice chest on our trips, just to stock up on the good stuff and keep it all chilled on our return to home.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Once I bought a case of Trader Joe's frozen kung pao chicken. They don't make it anymore, which is just as well, since I don't really ever need to see it again. It was at least as good as what you'd get at an entry-level Chinese restaurant, though.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

The mahi bento bowl was a big disappointment. But I would have probably been more surprised if they'd carried such a thing off. I'm totally hooked on the Alaskan halibut rolls in the deli case. Also the Italian chopped salad. Both beat the heck out of Hot Pockets when eating lunch at your desk. Do love the blintzes.

Sadly, when my partner and I move East, the closest store will be in Annapolis, not exactly right "in the neighborhood".

SWoodyWhite:

Am I mistaken or weren't you and partner moving to the Delaware shore? (I remembered because I was going to invite you to take the ferry over to Cape May for cocktails one weekend. I work part time summer weekends at a restaurant in Cape May that sounds right up your alley). If you're still moving to Delaware there are Trader Joe's in South Jersey (Marlton) and in PA (Jenkintown). Probably under an hour drive in either case. Not exactly "right in the neighborhood" either, but perhaps closer than Maryland.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I decided to admit that cooking just isn't interesting me right now. So off I headed to Trader Joe's to stock the freezer in the garage.

On a tangent: they've started construction of a new Trader Joe's on Capitol Hill, around Madison and 17th (just east of Madison Market). Woo hoo !!

- S

Now if we could JUST get them to put one in West Seattle. For pete's sake, we have to drive to Burien, Queen Anne or the U District for a fix. Sad to say, but I can guarantee I'd be better patron to them than I am to (she hangs her head in shame), our lovely PCC.

On a tangent: they've started construction of a new Trader Joe's on Capitol Hill, around Madison and 17th (just east of Madison Market). Woo hoo !!

- S

Are you sure? You don't know how much I hope you're right, since I live close by. I've heard, though, that they are building a Safeway, and found recent stuff on the Web about the possibility of a Safeway with condos above it. We don't need no stinkin' Safeway.

Edit: Someone told me that both a Trader Joe's and a Safeway are being built, the latter at about 20th and Madison.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Are you sure?  You don't know how much I hope you're right, since I live close by.  I've heard, though, that they are building a Safeway, and found recent stuff on the Web about the possibility of a Safeway with condos above it.  We don't need no stinkin' Safeway.

Edit:  Someone told me that both a Trader Joe's and a Safeway are being built, the latter at about 20th and Madison.

Here is what I have: more info

I go to Juneau every Christmas, and half of one suitcase is nothing but Trader Joe's products. Requests from my parents, requests from their friends. Mostly just the things in boxes and jars of course (although there's always a cooler involved as well, mostly cheese), but they love the place.