• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Wine Camp: ABPG

Fat Guy

Give pinot grigio a chance?

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 weeks later...

PRODUCERS FEAR FOR PINOT GRIGIO

After years of continuous growth, especially in the United States, , during which the

area planted to the variety has nearly doubled to over 10,000 hectares (for an average

annual production of around 1.5 million hectolitres), Italian Pinot Grigio is beginning

to show signs of flagging in the marketplace.

The alarm has been raised by none other than Emilio Pedron of Gruppo Italiano Vini,

Giacinto Giacomini of Cavit and Maurizio Ferri of Bolla. According to Pedron the rate

of increase in the US has sunk from 60% two years ago to 25% last year, to 15% as

of this June. This without taking into account dramatic price rises from the fall of the

dollar, now beginning to bite, and the serious chunk of the market claimed by

Californian Pinot Grigio, up from 0% to 17% of the market in only two years. In

addition, Hungarian, Moldavian and other Pinot Grigios today claim an increasing

chunk of the UK and German markets.

Giacinto Giacomini of Cavit sees more problems on the horizon, in the shape of the

relentless rise in grape prices in Italy compared with other producers. ‘Once we go

past the $6.99 to $8.49 price bracket our wines are no longer interesting,’ he

commented. from Harpers On-Line

• 1 month later...

Even in Italy, Pnt Grigio is the flavor of the month. Why? because it is like soft Pomerol: easy to understand, sophisticated enough for anybody to proud to be associated with it, and - I have to admit - pften quite a match with a lot of spicy, or non-spicy food.

If somebody has the chance, please taste the Pinot Grigio from Specogna (in Friuli): this is done the old-fashioned way, i.e. with some maceration, and the wine really deserves its varietal denomination: the wine is gray in color. But very refined.

Jean

PS: For those wanting more to Pinot Grigio than its color, try the Gris from Vie de Romans, or the Villa Russiz and Russiz Superiore, both from Friuli. These wines match well with any Italian dish supposed to be enjoyed with white wine.

Thank you for the article.

Like Jean, I appriciate the Pinot G as food freindly.

A Question if I may,

It may be off topic or maybe not.

Some tine ago I tasted a white from Colli that left a good impression on me:

Colli Maceratesi Bianco, D.O.C. 1999, Azienda Agricola degli Azzoni Avogado Carradori.

Pale yellow color with a dry well balanced taste and a fresh citrus bouquet with hits of sage and mint.

I understood that the wine was mader from Maceratino.

I know nothing of this grape even though it did remind me the PG.

Any idea ?

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Thank you for the article.

Like Jean, I appriciate the Pinot G as food freindly.

A Question if I may,

It may be off topic or maybe not.

Some tine ago I tasted a white from Colli that left a good impression on me:

Colli Maceratesi Bianco, D.O.C. 1999, Azienda Agricola degli Azzoni Avogado Carradori.

Pale yellow color with a dry well balanced taste and a fresh citrus bouquet with hits of sage and mint.

I understood that the wine was mader from Maceratino.

I know nothing of this grape even though it did remind me the PG.

Any idea ?

This is an ancient vine from Roman times that probably was of Greek origin. The main region where it is grown is in the Marche, Colli Maceratesi. It is of some relation to verdicchio - some say it is a clone others say it is its own variety.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I related it to the PG.

I missed.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.