• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Challenge

malachi

Background: I (periodically) provide recipes to my wonderful local butcher so that he can distribute them to customers who say things like "whole smoked ham shanks? what would I do with that?" These recipes have to be simple to execute, use common and easy to find ingredients (a challenge in a very remote town of 3500 like this) can't be "exotic" and must be main courses.

So the other day he asked me to come up with a "special occassion" recipe using Frozen Lobster Tail.

I tried to tell him I would never use much less buy Frozen Lobster Tail. But he needs a recipe.

Given the above requirements, things like Lobster Ceviche or Tempura Lobster Tacos are obviously out.

So... what would you do?

fanatic...

malachi. i love that idea. i often wondered why people asked butchers for recipes. as someone once said, if butchers could cook, they'd be chefs. well, something like that. you get the idea.

the idea of a butcher working with someone knowledgeable on cooking certainly makes that butcher a better resource.

For that market (and given the quality of frozen lobster), I'd go with one of the "lobster in casserole" types of dishes - Lobster Thermidor comes immediately to mind.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

How about grilling them? Cut open the shell, start open side down, turn after 5 min, brush with melted butter and cook through. That's about it. No exotic ingredients needed.

Edit: And throw a steak on the grill next to it for surf and turf--a good way for your butcher friend to increase sales.

Edited by vengroff (log)

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Lobster salad: My standard is lobster boiled, shelled, chunked, chilled and served with boiled, sliced new potatoes in a fines herbes mayo. Great with viogniers and bubblies. Or opt for a horseradish dressing (riesling country) or a garlic dressing (white Rhônes, Cassis, etc.). Add cherry tomatoes, green beans, corn, artichokes or other vegetables as whim and availability dictate (lobster, basil, tomato and green beans make a great summer combo).

Pasta: While your linguini cooks, sauté shredded or chunked lobster meat, chopped garlic and hot pepper (dried flakes or diced fresh) in olive oil. (You can add a small tomato, chopped, if you like.) Add dry white wine and reduce. Combine pasta and sauce, add freshly ground black pepper and some bread crumbs if so moved. Toss. Shower with basil chiffonade and serve.

Might also be tempted to chop them in their shells and make a stir-fry (e.g. garlic, ginger, black beans and bell pepper).

Thanks so much.

Butter Poached is the tentative solution I came up with.

Grilled might be worth considering given that (as you point out) it could drive his steak sales. I'm concerned, however, about the lobster being tough (frozen then grilled).

Butter Poached has the downside of requiring that someone make a Beurre Monte - but has the upside of making it hard to overcook the lobster.

Lobster salad wouldn't really be "special occasion" enough I fear (and in these parts salad is not a main course). I have the same concerns about the pasta solution.

Stir-fry is probably a bit "exotic" for folks hereabouts.

Lobster Thermidor would probably be an ideal solution - but I'm kind of loathe to do it for some reason. Sigh...

Yeah - he's a great butcher. Probably the only reason I am able to live here.

fanatic...

Lobster Eggs Benedict? Regular eggs for a main course serving, quail eggs for a starter? I, personally, would grill the medallions after steaming the tails.

i.e., Toasted English muffin or crumpet, medallion of lobster, poached egg, Hollandaise, sprinkling of piment d'Espelette or Spanish paprika

eGullet member #80.

Lobster Thermidor would probably be an ideal solution - but I'm kind of loathe to do it for some reason. Sigh...

And I know exactly why....

But you're not talking about how you want to prepare live lobster for YOUR dinner party -

You're trying to help your buddy sell his frozen lobster.

So I'd go with (as I said) en casserole types of things.

Like Lobster Thermidor and Lobster Crepes, etc....

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Is there a reason it has to be special occasion? Every summer, it seems every food magazine and any sort of Middle America Oprah/Martha/BH&G/Redbook/etc publication has some mention of the New England summer tradition of lobster rolls. So most of his customers will have heard of them, will have even wondered about trying them, and it's hard to think of something less intimidating to make. Not that I have any idea whether it would work with frozen. But if so, something more laid back would have to move more units than something special because you automatically have a larger market base.

Jaymes - you're right. Good point.

Nickn - ummm... his customers want to buy Frozen Lobster tails and want to know what to do with them. Not carrying them is probably not a realistic option.

KNorthrup - it's the cost. Folks here are not wealthy. This is beef country, and beef is quite cheap. When someone spends 4x the per pound cost of Porterhouse it's going to have to be a special occassion.

fanatic...