• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inn at Perry Cabin / St. Michael's, MD

Kim WB

As noted in an earlier thread, my husband and I have been jonesing for some crabs. He reserved a last minute Sat nite room at the Inn at Perry Cabin, in ST. Michaels, which looks lovely. We're set for fine dining, but are still searching for that "crab place". I apologize for my lack of geograpphic knowledge..but are any of the above reccomendations near St. Michael's?

Thanks again. looking forward to some lovely weather!

hi Kim. there are at least 2 good spots for crabs in St. Michael's. the Crab Claw is probably the best known (and likely most crowded). I believe the other is called Town Dock. for my money, either beats Cantler's for crabs and atmosphere.

I am going to be going to St. Michael's on the Eastern shore later this month and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions for a good lunch or early dinner.

Any ideas?

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

The Crab Claw is a St. Michael's classic. The Crab Claw is great because you can call ahead and park your boat right at the restaurant, or simply drive there and eat crabs by the water. Quality varies tremendously, weekdays and off hours are better for getting the big and the heavy. Sides? Uh, I don't remember. Beer, Check. Pitcher after pitcher. Brown paper on picnic tables next to the harbor? Check. Saltines in a paper bucket? Check.

The other well-known crab place is Higgins which is in a shopping mall-type area before you get into town on 33. No waterfront ambiance like the CC and last I saw there was some construction going on, so might not be an option. Another spot for acceptable crabs/seafood is Chesapeake Landing which is well past town on Rte. 33 in McDaniel.

Upscale places - the Inn at Perry Cabin, one of the former Laura Ashley properties now owned by a Japanese firm, this is a beautiful inn with all of the expected appointments, the food is OK but is way overpriced compared to other offerings in town. I haven't been since new managagement took over. My favorite part of the Inn is cocktails in the billiard room after dinner.

For fine dining, or the St. Michael's approximation thereof, Bistro St. Michael's is where it's at or 208 Talbot. Not sure about lunch, but early dinner is doable at either. My favorite is the Bistro whose name doesn't lie, uncomplicated but delicious bistro fare which makes great use of local ingredients. Neither of these is a cheap option, but both are great. Call and reserve for both of these on the weekends and even weekdays in summer. for Bistro call several days in advance.

Justine's is a must for ice cream, right in town you can't miss it. (creamsicle shake is a personal fave).

You should drive down to Tilghman Island, very unique part of the world. There are a couple of restaurants there that score big points for on-the-water ambience none are special for food in any way, one is the Bay Hundred (outdoor bar and tables next to the drawbridge so you can see all the action in Knapps Narrows. The better food option is the Tilghman Island Inn (cross the drawbridge and make a right after the store, tables on the water near the Bay side of the Narrows).

See the other St. Michael's thread, if not too late. Both 208 Talbot and Bistro St. Michael's are better fine dining options than Perry Cabin (Although if you go to Perry Cabin tell me how it is lately, I've not been since the expansion and new management). Crab Claw is where you want to be for crabs or Higgins (zero atmosphere there though). Possibly Chesapeake Landing (especially for just picking up some steamed crabs to eat somewhere more picturesque).

[Edit: the other thread mentioned has been merged into this one. -vengroff]

The Crab Claw is a St. Michael's classic.  The Crab Claw is great because you can call ahead and park your boat right at the restaurant, or simply drive there and eat crabs by the water.  Quality varies tremendously

Parked the boat at the town dock, had the crabs, they were excellent. Everybody else got clever and tried to order other stuff, they were disappointed.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I was just there this past weekend. Lovely. But skip the food at the Inn at Perry Cabin...even the breakfast was bad. The Crab Claw was great...get there early on the weekends, by noon the outdoor deck had a wait. We chose the Bistro for our second dinner...predictible but well done and great service.

That's why they call it the Crab Claw and not the Fish Fin or the Burger Bulge, Big Fella.

Actually, Did you eat at the Town Dock or just park the boat at the town dock and eat at the Crab Claw?

One of the best things about the Crab Claw other than the crabs is watching the weekend captains try to park their boats without killing anyone (spoken like a true weekend captain myself).

See the other St. Michael's thread, if not too late.  Both 208 Talbot and Bistro St. Michael's are better fine dining options than Perry Cabin

Understatement of the year...it was awful! But we had extenuating circumstances that obligated us to eat there...Bistro was much more fun. Crab Claw was great..although I am in the BOILED crab camp over the steamed...which is apparantly a major CHesBay conflict.

Thanks all for the recs, and comments.

Still awful, damn.

I had a truly awful meal there several years ago at this point, so was hesitant to trash it since I had no recent experience. I had high hopes for new management. The place is a damned monstrosity compared to its prior size. Oh well, drinks in the billiard room is still fun, right?

If I'd known you were there last weekend (my bad for not checking things out) we'd have had you come by for some crabs. We catch them off the dock and steam 'em ourselves. Went fishing on Sunday down there and caught about 25 decent size rockfish (only kept our limit of 8 for 4 people though)

What did you have at Bistro, Kim? We ate there early on Saturday night, I had the pork tenderloin - pretty good.

Edited by Damian (log)

One of the best things about the Crab Claw other than the crabs is watching the weekend captains try to park their boats without killing anyone (spoken like a true weekend captain myself).

Or, watching the young employees at the Crab Claw explain to the "captains" that they can't dock without a reservation, and pointing them to the Town Dock...and having the Captains wheedle and whine and threaten, they curse and storm off...happened three times in the two hours we were there.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Link to the Crab Claw's site: http://www.thecrabclaw.com/

But watch out, they've got a little crab that follows your curser around all over the place!

While I'm at it, here's a couple of other links I've pulled up:

Inn at Perry's Cabin: http://www.orient-express.com/web/omic/omi...gcfkmdffkdffk.0

Town Dock: http://www.town-dock.com/

Edited by SWoodyWhite (log)

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

• 7 years later...

So I am heading up to the Inn at Perry Cabin this weekend for a special occasion, and am having second thoughts about having dinner at the restaurant. I was told that the food is comproable to 208 Talbot or the Bistro, but on reading this thread, I'm not so sure. I was wondering if anyone has any recent experiences...

Thanks!