Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

 

Warren Buffet :   " I don't eat anything a 2 your old wouldn't eat "

 

And he's proud of it, apparently.

Risk averse.

Edited by gfweb (log)
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think everyone covered Lammingtons real well for me!

As for the lady at Hervey Bay,  yes pretty tragic and would have been awful for all the families at the celebration to loose such a community active figure like that. But, I can't imagine eating/inhaling something covered in Dessicated Coconut at speed going well for me.

 

Back to Crisps and another shelf stayer for your discussion and disgust was found today. Give me England and plain old pickled onion and prawn cocktail any day 😉

20200201_110654.thumb.jpg.3f94e7052c9479ebdb8f6a8a38ba3610.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to restock our supply of Utz's dill pickle chips.

 

😢there were none !!!

 

We adore dill pickle chips.  Whenever we see one we try it.  THIS is the best we have found.

 

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

 

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

"Pringles' newest flavor is a favorite fast food item"

Quote

Say hello to Pringles Baconator....your favorite edible hyperbolic paraboloid (aka the true shape of a Pringle) is now seasoned to taste just like Wendy’s world-famous burger. It’s got all the same notes you’d expect to find on a trip down the drive-thru: fresh, never frozen beef, American cheese, applewood smoked bacon, ketchup and mayo.

I've never found a faux bacon flavor to taste much like the real McCoy, so to speak.

If you find this new flavor, please take on for the team and let us know how they taste.

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I know Corn but... why? 

 

20200719_122215.thumb.jpg.4facef4cb84f540725a30aeeaaa8e358.jpg

MSG and caffeine.

What could happen?

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

So Lays has introduced 4 new "Flavor Icons" (click):

- Nashville Hot Chicken Flavor

- Kettle Cooked New York Style Pizza Flavor

- Carnitas Street Taco Flavor

- Philly Cheesesteak Flavor

 

I tried the Carnitas Street Taco Flavor. While it seems to be missing the meat, of course, I do get a big taste of cilantro and a hint of cumin. Kind of salty, too.

The flavor is supposed to be based upon the Carnitas Tacos from the El Torito's restaurant chain (the El Torito's restaurant here closed years ago).

Overall...meh. There might be a tiny kick of spiciness but it's nothing major.

This made me miss the old Snyder of Hanover's Steak & Onion flavored potato chips which were so salty but soooo good.

 

Anyone else try the new flavors?

  • Like 2

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't tried the new Lay's flavors. I do like these Maui onion flavored potato chips. They're a Frito-Lay product, I believe. The chips / crisps are thicker than the original Lay's chips. There is a nice onion-y flavor.

 

1963479143_ScreenShot2020-08-04at9_10_58AM.png.37b9bda8257e45ee490752578eb4c148.png

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 2:49 PM, Toliver said:

- Kettle Cooked New York Style Pizza Flavor

 

I'm really skeptical they can capture the magic of a real kettle-cooked pizza.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Found at the grocery store this weekend...Lay's Kettle Cooked Beer Cheese flavor potato chips (can't even locate them on the Lay's web site).

Meh.

When I first started eating them, I kept waiting to taste the beer flavor...it never asserted itself. Overall, the chip didn't taste bad, it just didn't taste like beer cheese.:(

  • Like 4

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2020 at 2:49 PM, Toliver said:

So Lays has introduced 4 new "Flavor Icons" (click):

- Nashville Hot Chicken Flavor

- Kettle Cooked New York Style Pizza Flavor

- Carnitas Street Taco Flavor

- Philly Cheesesteak Flavor

 

I tried the Carnitas Street Taco Flavor. While it seems to be missing the meat, of course, I do get a big taste of cilantro and a hint of cumin. Kind of salty, too.

The flavor is supposed to be based upon the Carnitas Tacos from the El Torito's restaurant chain (the El Torito's restaurant here closed years ago).

Overall...meh. There might be a tiny kick of spiciness but it's nothing major.

This made me miss the old Snyder of Hanover's Steak & Onion flavored potato chips which were so salty but soooo good.

 

Anyone else try the new flavors?

 

I tried the Nashville and Philly and let me tell you they're really reaching with these names.  The Nashville was like a subtle bbq w an overlay of old bay and a burnt aftertaste.  The Philly had a sour cream & onion profile finished w a cheese-doodle like dusting.  Both pretty bad w too many ingredients.  Neither addictive. 

 

It's been a while since I had them and I don't know if they even make them anymore but these were the last chips that I truly fell in love with:

 

1483663846_KettleKor.JPG.3d49ef45eef8f368118080e9fd6b1fa4.JPG

  • Like 3

That wasn't chicken

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Toliver said:

Found at the grocery store this weekend...Lay's Kettle Cooked Beer Cheese flavor potato chips (can't even locate them on the Lay's web site).

Meh.

When I first started eating them, I kept waiting to taste the beer flavor...it never asserted itself. Overall, the chip didn't taste bad, it just didn't taste like beer cheese.:(

My daughter said the exact same thing.  Neither of us is fans of beer,  but we love the beer/cheese taste combination and she said there was no beer flavor at all.  

 

 

1 hour ago, Eatmywords said:

 

I tried the Nashville and Philly and let me tell you they're really reaching with these names.  The Nashville was like a subtle bbq w an overlay of old bay and a burnt aftertaste.  The Philly had a sour cream & onion profile finished w a cheese-doodle like dusting.  Both pretty bad w too many ingredients.  Neither addictive. 

 

It's been a while since I had them and I don't know if they even make them anymore but these were the last chips that I truly fell in love with:

 

1483663846_KettleKor.JPG.3d49ef45eef8f368118080e9fd6b1fa4.JPG

Mr. Kim tried the Nashville hot.  He found the "heat" not well mixed at all.  Some had almost no powder and some had an overwhelming amount.  And he said the exact same thing about it tasting mostly of Old Bay.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, haresfur said:

A bad idea that tastes just enough like roast beef and gravy to turn you off roast beef and gravy.

 

20201018_133827.thumb.jpg.4d6359a84923f2d2e99b3e816cebed3a.jpg

 

You take one look at these and feel so stuffed there's zero desire to try them.  (Maybe not a bad thing if looking to cut back : )  And how about that 2.5 Health Star rating (out of 5?)?  What's the logic behind that system?  What gets a one? 

  • Like 2

That wasn't chicken

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...