• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

I think everyone covered Lammingtons real well for me!

As for the lady at Hervey Bay,  yes pretty tragic and would have been awful for all the families at the celebration to loose such a community active figure like that. But, I can't imagine eating/inhaling something covered in Dessicated Coconut at speed going well for me.

Back to Crisps and another shelf stayer for your discussion and disgust was found today. Give me England and plain old pickled onion and prawn cocktail any day 😉

20200201_110654.thumb.jpg.3f94e7052c9479ebdb8f6a8a38ba3610.jpg

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

I went to restock our supply of Utz's dill pickle chips.

😢there were none !!!

We adore dill pickle chips.  Whenever we see one we try it.  THIS is the best we have found.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 4 months later...

"Pringles' newest flavor is a favorite fast food item"

Say hello to Pringles Baconator....your favorite edible hyperbolic paraboloid (aka the true shape of a Pringle) is now seasoned to taste just like Wendy’s world-famous burger. It’s got all the same notes you’d expect to find on a trip down the drive-thru: fresh, never frozen beef, American cheese, applewood smoked bacon, ketchup and mayo.

I've never found a faux bacon flavor to taste much like the real McCoy, so to speak.

If you find this new flavor, please take on for the team and let us know how they taste.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So Lays has introduced 4 new "Flavor Icons" (click):

- Nashville Hot Chicken Flavor

- Kettle Cooked New York Style Pizza Flavor

- Carnitas Street Taco Flavor

- Philly Cheesesteak Flavor

I tried the Carnitas Street Taco Flavor. While it seems to be missing the meat, of course, I do get a big taste of cilantro and a hint of cumin. Kind of salty, too.

The flavor is supposed to be based upon the Carnitas Tacos from the El Torito's restaurant chain (the El Torito's restaurant here closed years ago).

Overall...meh. There might be a tiny kick of spiciness but it's nothing major.

This made me miss the old Snyder of Hanover's Steak & Onion flavored potato chips which were so salty but soooo good.

Anyone else try the new flavors?

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Haven't tried the new Lay's flavors. I do like these Maui onion flavored potato chips. They're a Frito-Lay product, I believe. The chips / crisps are thicker than the original Lay's chips. There is a nice onion-y flavor.

1963479143_ScreenShot2020-08-04at9_10_58AM.png.37b9bda8257e45ee490752578eb4c148.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Found at the grocery store this weekend...Lay's Kettle Cooked Beer Cheese flavor potato chips (can't even locate them on the Lay's web site).

Meh.

When I first started eating them, I kept waiting to taste the beer flavor...it never asserted itself. Overall, the chip didn't taste bad, it just didn't taste like beer cheese.:(

• Like 4

Tim Oliver

On 8/4/2020 at 2:49 PM, Toliver said:

So Lays has introduced 4 new "Flavor Icons" (click):

- Nashville Hot Chicken Flavor

- Kettle Cooked New York Style Pizza Flavor

- Carnitas Street Taco Flavor

- Philly Cheesesteak Flavor

I tried the Carnitas Street Taco Flavor. While it seems to be missing the meat, of course, I do get a big taste of cilantro and a hint of cumin. Kind of salty, too.

The flavor is supposed to be based upon the Carnitas Tacos from the El Torito's restaurant chain (the El Torito's restaurant here closed years ago).

Overall...meh. There might be a tiny kick of spiciness but it's nothing major.

This made me miss the old Snyder of Hanover's Steak & Onion flavored potato chips which were so salty but soooo good.

Anyone else try the new flavors?

I tried the Nashville and Philly and let me tell you they're really reaching with these names.  The Nashville was like a subtle bbq w an overlay of old bay and a burnt aftertaste.  The Philly had a sour cream & onion profile finished w a cheese-doodle like dusting.  Both pretty bad w too many ingredients.  Neither addictive. 

It's been a while since I had them and I don't know if they even make them anymore but these were the last chips that I truly fell in love with:

1483663846_KettleKor.JPG.3d49ef45eef8f368118080e9fd6b1fa4.JPG

• Like 3

That wasn't chicken

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

Found at the grocery store this weekend...Lay's Kettle Cooked Beer Cheese flavor potato chips (can't even locate them on the Lay's web site).

Meh.

When I first started eating them, I kept waiting to taste the beer flavor...it never asserted itself. Overall, the chip didn't taste bad, it just didn't taste like beer cheese.:(

My daughter said the exact same thing.  Neither of us is fans of beer,  but we love the beer/cheese taste combination and she said there was no beer flavor at all.  

1 hour ago, Eatmywords said:

I tried the Nashville and Philly and let me tell you they're really reaching with these names.  The Nashville was like a subtle bbq w an overlay of old bay and a burnt aftertaste.  The Philly had a sour cream & onion profile finished w a cheese-doodle like dusting.  Both pretty bad w too many ingredients.  Neither addictive. 

It's been a while since I had them and I don't know if they even make them anymore but these were the last chips that I truly fell in love with:

1483663846_KettleKor.JPG.3d49ef45eef8f368118080e9fd6b1fa4.JPG

Mr. Kim tried the Nashville hot.  He found the "heat" not well mixed at all.  Some had almost no powder and some had an overwhelming amount.  And he said the exact same thing about it tasting mostly of Old Bay.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, haresfur said:

A bad idea that tastes just enough like roast beef and gravy to turn you off roast beef and gravy.

20201018_133827.thumb.jpg.4d6359a84923f2d2e99b3e816cebed3a.jpg

You take one look at these and feel so stuffed there's zero desire to try them.  (Maybe not a bad thing if looking to cut back : )  And how about that 2.5 Health Star rating (out of 5?)?  What's the logic behind that system?  What gets a one? 

• Like 2

That wasn't chicken

• 2 weeks later...

Some chips we saw at our local Asian market the other day - we bought the first two, which were terrible.  The cucumber ones were promising - they smelled and tasted like cucumbers, but were greasy, undercooked, and had none of that characteristic astringency.  The spicy ones weren't spicy at all - even for me!  No chili flavor.  

IMG_3952.jpg.abd5ac47a817cb2382c07b0122246293.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg.b0318df3254e4d564d088e0920920f0c.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg.b8b9d8b51db4f0f6e3965c9491567738.jpg

IMG_3954.jpg.e32eb97ea097131af8e43b925012fb1e.jpg

These looked interesting - I'm guessing a hot chicken version of Wavy Lays?

IMG_3956.jpg.4ae7ae93b9aa9d501cb6e25bc437ea5f.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg.42690fa358c4de815b602c66e06a1067.jpg

IMG_3958.jpg.2b682ea2c5dbbda0e7281bfa2f176d2c.jpg

IMG_3959.jpg.b1207cad31001ccbcabdae358241d7e3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

The 'finger licking braised pork' looks more like chocolate cake to me...

Actually, that one is pretty good. I always brought back one or two packages when returning from mainland China ...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"Lay’s Is Releasing Chili-Flavored Chips That Taste Like A Bowl Of The Real Thing"

The bag details a bowl of beef chili with shredded cheese, sour cream, and chives, but what you can expect is "the classic combination of tomatoes, chili peppers, onion, garlic, and Tex-Mex spices with a little back-end kick," a PR rep confirmed to Best Products.

It's a limited edition flavor, of course. Get it while you can.

Tim Oliver