• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

Went looking for, and found, Arts & Mary's chips. Available at my local Homeland store, who knew!? Bought a bag, took them home to have with pulled pork sammiches. After one taste, my 13 year old daughter proclaimed them the new house favorites! She ate almost the whole bag! She told me today to be sure and buy those 'new' chips from now on. Thanks for the tip! :smile:

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Limon - Salt & Lime.

These are so good, and so habit-forming, that when I am in a locale where they are not available, I sit down with limes and squeeze the juice onto my chips.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I once made the mistake of ordering a case of Jalapeno Krunchers - big mistake.

Here in Paris I sometimes indulge in two flavours - mustard or herbes de Provence. Good, but no Jalapeno Krunchers.

cann't remember any specific brands, but when we visited our niece who lives in a small village in southern france she turned us on to French supermarket potoato chips - nice and thin, crisp and salty. I remember the fancy artisan bags or slightly more expensive ones were marked something like antique - not that spelling tho - I think it was supposed to indicate old fashioned and hand cooked - like kettle chips - anyway, as with many other products - like the delicious blood orange juice we would get in the monoprix supermarkets - really quenched our thirst and economically at that - in the midsts of last augusts record heats throughout France. The country side was dry and hot - the sunflower crop was burnt out - but Paris its self was unbearable in the heat, yet we had a faboulous time. And ate some great street food - as was our goal - supermarkets, markets, food stands, stalls, we trekked our way round Paris = nibbling most of the way.

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I remember the fancy artisan bags or slightly more expensive ones were marked something like antique - not that spelling tho - I think it was supposed to indicate old fashioned and hand cooked - like kettle chips

A l'ancienne is how you'll see a lot of kettle-type potato chips described. I think I know which kind of chips you're talking about - in almost all the groceries.

I'll 3rd or 4th Tims. On my wife's birthday I'd arranged for a tour of the Tims factory, which is in Auburn. I think we were as surprised that Tim himself was giving us the tour as Tim was that he was giving a tour to three thirtysomethings! Tim's wife joined us for part of the tour too.

The highlight was watching all the chips run down a conveyor into all the different seasoning stations and just grabbing chips off the line to snack on (I probably shouldn't be mentioning this).

At the end of the tour Tim gave my wife a box with a Mountain size bag of every product the make (chips, kettle corn, cheese curls) and a Tim's watch with a potato chip second hand.

Hal

Kettle Chips--from Salem Oregon--are good "fancy chips". But regular old Lays, Nacho Cheese Doritos, and (more recently) Cheddar Cheese and Sour Cream Ruffles hold a special place in my gut.

Kettle Chips ARE good. But don't you find they have the hardest bags to open? I always had to grab the scissors for those!

Kettle Chips--from Salem Oregon--are good "fancy chips". But regular old Lays, Nacho Cheese Doritos, and (more recently) Cheddar Cheese and Sour Cream Ruffles hold a special place in my gut.

Kettle Chips ARE good. But don't you find they have the hardest bags to open? I always had to grab the scissors for those!

I'm so glad you mentioned that. I thought it was just me.

amanda

Googlista

• 2 weeks later...

I'm inhaling a bag of Utz's "The Crab Chip" (their quotes, not mine). Bought it because of this thread.

It's my third bag of chips in a week :smile:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

marmite.

salt and vinegar.

the dill flavour one from cascade is it?

garlic and sour cream/spring onion and yogurt

i like em very light and crisp, not the heavy handmade kettle chip type.

but i do try to avoid them all as they are my downfall.

and don't even MENTION the dip.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Tim's Jalapeno are the salty nectar of the gods. (Who could live for eternity on sugary snacks? Give me salt.) (How will I know that I blew it and ended up in Hell? Three little words on the bags of chips that come with our box lunches for the Welcome to Damnation orientation and Power-Point presentation: Baked Not Fried.)

An odd but delicious combination: hummus and Pringles.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

The greatest potato chips in the world are Burts Chips, hand-fried from potatoes grown in Devon, southwest England. They come in various flavours (sea salt and sherry vinegar, hot chili lemon, salt and black pepper) but the best are the simplest, lightly sea salted (for purists there is a 'no salt' but that's abit too pure even for me). Each bag carries the name of the person who fried that particular batch. Absolutely irresistable, and totally awesome when enjoyed with a pint (or two or three) of Branoc beer...

I live in Hanover Pennsylvania. Hanover is probably the potato chip and pretzel capital of the world. Utz has its headquarters here. They have three different manufacturing plants in this relatively small town of around 20,000. They also own the Mystic brand which I believe is also cooked here. My favorite Utz or Mystic chip is the dark russet. To die for!!

Snyders of Hanover is also headquartered here. Martins, another superior product is manufactured less than ten miles away. As good as all of these chips are, they are significantly better when you buy them directly from the company knowing that they were probably cooked just hours before.

This thread made me wonder...is anyone a member of the chip of the month club?

i just joined last month. it was surprisingly expensive - for a six-month membership, it came to about $145 (including shipping). my first box came last week and i'm still working my way through it. so far i've opened four of the packages and they've been ok. nothing too spectacular, however.

not that i'm really complaining too much :rolleyes: , but they send way too many for me to eat by myself. my fiance won't eat chips because she's too healthy.i thought they'd send those individual size serving bags.

one of the brands has '100 percent lard shortening' as the second ingredient.

• 11 months later...

Just in time! I've been searching on line for someplace which ships Lays Dill Pickle potato chips. I was told they are to die for, and they sound like the taste will be just up my alley. Any ideas who I might be able to purchase through? Any other pickle flavored chips you think I shouldn't miss?

Thanks so much!!

I like the Roast Chicken Dinner flavour, I think it's Lay's or Old Dutch; UK-inspired I suppose. Not all the time though.

Other than that, sourc cream and onion or salt & vinegar. Or Ruffles plain to hold lots of dip.

The ones I have eaten a big bag at a time more than once (I mean recently :blush:) are the Miss Vickie's Sour Cream and Sweet Thai Chili chips...

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies