• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

I know everyone here likes potato chips, so what's your favorite kind (even hand made)?

Mine would be a local brand: Middleswarth BBQ or Wise Onion and Garlic. My grandma ships me up a case of Zapp's around Christmastime and those are the bomb too.

• Like 1

"yes i'm all lit up again"

I used to get a brand years ago, but I can't remember its name. It was in a red and white striped bag. It may have had the state of Texas on it.

The only flavor I got was the Jalepeno, :wub: and MAN were they perfect. Thicker than normal, spicy, salty, I can still taste them. I also adore good salt and vinegar chips, and dill chips. I like thick chips. I like chips so much however that now I don't buy them or even go down the isle. I have no control when it comes to chips. Last time I bought a good bag of S&V chips, the entire bag was gone before I got home. I realized then, that I had a problem. So now, I get one of those 25 cent bags when I go to the store as a reward. Dill, if I can find them.

Now I'm craving chips so badly that I can't trust myself to enter a grocery store until it passes. Thanks.

I don't particularly like potato chips but I like other chips especially Terra chips. Stacy's pita chips aren't bad either. I also like tortilla chips to dip into chili or guacamole, or sometimes salsa.

Oh, I do like Cape Cod potato chips if someone else has them lying around. But I never buy them.

Two kinds by UTZ:

Grandma UTZ Old Fashioned... Kettle chips, I believe the package used to actually say cooked in lard!

UTZ Chesapeake Crab Seasoning flavored...

Chipless in Florida...

Adam

Chef - Food / Wine / Travel Consultant - Writer

I go through phases. For a while, my favorite was the red bliss variety fried in olive oil (the most important feature) made by Terra, I think. Right now, for some odd reason, I only want Wavy Lays (!). Presumably, that will pass. As a kid, my absolute favorite was the Mesquite Barbecue flavor of Krunchers -- that chip that came up a while ago in another thread. Truly, they were great, with a kettle-chip kind of texture that avoided being too rock hard, as some kettle chips can do, and what I remember as delectable flavoring.

When we were in England this summer, I was hugely beguiled by the Walker's Sensations line -- the cracker varieties with a texture reminiscent of Asian shrimp chimps, as well as the potato crisps. I wish they would make them here.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I like Wise Chips! A guess it's a hold over from growing up in PA. I used to have them as a snack before I went to bed and liked them then and still do today. What irks me about potato chips is that with the focus on 'quality' in the last decade or so, you get a consistent product each and every time. I used to like to dig through the bag of chips to find the dark ones, you know the ones with all the extra flavor! But now, those are the ones that are culled out before the chips are packaged! I can usually still find some of those dark brown delights in a bag of Wise chips, but never in Lays!

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

At the Ikea food shop they have this Swedish brand that is out of this world. Also love the Utz Kettle Classics.

And of course, gotta mention the alltime processed chips - pringles

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

For junk food potato chips, the best are Golden Flake, which I think are only available in the Southeast.

Locally, Margot has a huge ass bowl of homemade, served with aioli, for $3 as a permanent menu item that are out of this world.

EDIT: To add link to Golden Flake.

Edited by bleachboy (log)

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Gibbles Red Hot Chips, Lays Hickory BBQ, and Snyders (I think that is the brand) Jalapeno.

I too have a chip addiction. I can eat a whole bag & not even realize it. Until I reach in to get some more & feel nothung but the empty bag. :shock:

• Like 1

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Probably very local to this area, but Art & Mary's are the best kettle style chips I've found. Crispy yet still crunchy, never over brown(unlike the always dissapionting Kettle Chips brand), perfectly salted, with just the right amount of oil still in the chip for great flavor dispersion in the mouth. Original, Jalepeno, Salt & Vinegar, Parmesan Garlic. Find them if you can! I don't think they are on shelves outside of Kansas and Missouri.

RM

i've been baking store-bought chips bring the oils out and seasoning them with everything from pepper, to spice rubs usually meant for pork or chicken (i've been using Lays, as they're readily available). the combination of getting the extra oil out and adding fresh spices really makes a difference, imo.

Oh my gosh, I moved from KS 2 years ago and miss Art & Mary's chips sooooooo much. :sad: They really are the most perfect kettle chip I have ever come across. Care to send a couple of bags across state lines to help quell the cravings? :smile:

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

i've been baking store-bought chips bring the oils out and seasoning them with everything from pepper, to spice rubs usually meant for pork or chicken (i've been using Lays, as they're readily available). the combination of getting the extra oil out and adding fresh spices really makes a difference, imo.

Tommy:

What temp and for how long do you bake them? Do they get soggy soon after?

(it sounds like a great idea!)

What temp and for how long do you bake them? Do they get soggy soon after?

(it sounds like a great idea!)

i do them at about 350 or so. i usually pull them out when i see the oils on the surface. obviously that's a good time to apply the flavor (i do that when they're out of the oven).

i've done it several times, and made sure to let them sit around afterwords to see if they'd get soggy or stale. they last for some time (well, at least over the course of a day if you're entertaining or something). give it a try. the possibilities are, of course, endless.

Sure I could send you some. You can order online by the case (9 bags) at www.artsandmarys.com if you want to check that out. I'm in Lawrence now, but grew up in Wichita not far from the original Art and Mary's chip factory. I'm glad someone else knows about them.

RM

Hey, Rick. I was mostly kidding about you sending me some :rolleyes:, but I may have to order a case of those! I went to college in Newton, KS, and have a couple of friends out here with me. . .one of them mentioned just the other day how much he was pining for the perfection of Art & Mary's...

I think I just got an idea for his next birthday present!

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

I posted this in another discussion, but it sure applies here!

Old Dutch Ripple would be the quintessential expression of the potato chip.

These are a staple chip in Western Canada - they come two sealed bags to a box with a red-and-white windmill theme...so crispy, fresh and yummy!

When I first moved from Thunder Bay to TO (Toronto, for all you 'merkins) in the early 90s I was devasted to find that Old Dutch potato chips weren't available....but you learn to make do, right? I thought I'd moved on and was content with the Hostess, etc.

Until the day I was driving eastbound on the 401 and an Old Dutch truck went by in the westbound collectors - almost gave myself whiplash and nearly smacked the guy in front of me as I watched the truck go past...

After that I made it my mission to find the stores that stocked OD - finally found a little shop in Yorkville - that charged 7$ a box!!!