• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

a) Cheese

b) "Cheesy"

c) Ranch

d) Salt and vinegar

e) Salt and pepper

f) Sour cream and onion

g) Garlic

h) BBQ

i) Jalapeno

j) Crab-boil flavored (hey, Utz once made crab-boil flavored potato chips)

k) Pizza flavored

l) Plain

m) Plain, kettle-cooked

I have a marked preference for d, h and i, although sometimes I'll take m anyday.

Soba

I like Tim Cascade's. It's is big out here in the PNW. They're a bit thicker and more well done than most other brands. I like all their flavors.

When I was in culinary school at AIS Tim's daughter was in my classes. She brought in a hugh box of them one day. Many were 'in development' meaning they weren't ready for public consumption as they were still being test marketed.

Their biggest seller in terms of volume is the Cheeseburger flavor. Sounds awful until you hear whom they sell it to.

Prisons. And it's a lot cheaper to give a prisoner a 1 oz bag of chips that tastes like a cheeseburger than it is giving them the real thing.

Makes sense to me.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Although I'm happy with a plain chip, I favor yogurt and dill and salt and pepper.

I must admit, I've been on a potato chip kick lately.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Salt & Lime.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The somewhat new (and somewhat expensive) Lay's Natural plain chips ("Sea Salted") are my current favorite; mass-market, but better than the mega-mass-market chips.

Although I live in the Pacific Northwest, and have ready access to Tim's Cascade chips (the jalapenos are excellent, but the spicing seems to be inconsistent - some are wimpy, some are good), I've never seen the cheeseburger chips in my local markets - do I need to go to prison to get them?? [Not an option I'm considering merely for the sake of chips, but free room and board might have it's advantages... :smile:]

• Like 1

I'm partial to Terra's sweet potato chips (NOT the flavored ones, just the unsalted, plain ones). They go particularly well with bourbon.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

I am now eating the Lay's Chicago Steakhouse Loaded Baked Potato chips. They taste like smoky sour cream, onion, and cheddar chips. I thought they were going to taste like steak. :angry:

• 4 weeks later...

Good quality bbq, jalepeno, Rte 55 death chips (or whatever they're called) and Terra's Balsamic chips, if they still make them.

From England, salt & vinegar (rarely vinegary enough in U.S.), cheese and onion, and (slightly ashamed to say) prawn cocktail.

I am now eating the Lay's Chicago Steakhouse Loaded Baked Potato chips.  They taste like smoky sour cream, onion, and cheddar chips.  I thought they were going to taste like steak. :angry:

Wasn't there a steak flavored chip? I remember it from about 10 years ago, maybe more. No idea who made it, but it was GOOD. So was the hot dog with mustard flavor.

Utz's Carolina Barbecue flavor. Tastes like what you'd get if you crossed BBQ and salt & vinegar chips.

The new "Natural" Lay's with sea salt.

OK, I'm trying to do Atkins right now so I'm just gonna get off this topic. :angry:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I am now eating the Lay's Chicago Steakhouse Loaded Baked Potato chips.  They taste like smoky sour cream, onion, and cheddar chips.  I thought they were going to taste like steak. :angry:

I was disappointed by them too. The Monterey Pepper Jack ones are much better!

(But my #1 favorite is salt & vinegar.)

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

I like Lay's and Ruffles.

As for flavors, I like sour cream and onion and sour cream and cheddar.

Anything else, and I don't think I might eat it.

I think silver suits me so...

...but red is also for me!

Iron Chef Morimoto all the way!

From me, a fan of Iron Chef.