• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

26 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Actually, the Chinese brands are more normal. These "seemingly unfathomable" types are all Lay's, an American company owned by Pepsico.

Where are they being sold?    More specifically, where are you seeing them offered for sale?

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Where are they being sold?    More specifically, where are you seeing them offered for sale?

Oh yes, They are being sold in China. In supermarkets and convenience stores, mainly. Also, online.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Just now, liuzhou said:

Oh yes, They are being sold in China. In supermarkets and convenience stores, mainly. Also, online.

So someone. not you or I, are actually buying them, and supposedly enjoying them, at least for their short promotional life?  

Seriously, I am always boggled by the Chinese produced snack foods at my/these markets.   Chips, crackers and candies of all flavors and conformations.    I love cruising the isles, even if I understand little of what I see.

eGullet member #80.

The luosifen chips I mentioned up-thread have proved impossible to find in Liuzhou where the dish originated. They wouldn't dare!

But at great expense and personal hardship, I've managed to track a bag down purely for this topic! So, here they are.

packet.thumb.jpg.c70114071b16eb0e50461aeeaae4bee6.jpg

119859143_luosifencrisps1024.thumb.jpg.7d8674eb4bb5c65566890f4a69402fcc.jpg

The ingredients (and everything else) are in given Chinese, of course. 

ingredients.thumb.jpg.ce1e0faece8cc3f32ae8531325a48dd8.jpg

In English they are:

Potato, vegetable oil, snail noodle seasoning (sugar, edible flavouring, MSG (monosodium glutamate), salt, garlic powder, maltodextrin, mixed soy sauce powder/chilli, white vinegar powder, tomato powder, yeast extract, citric acid, 5-flavor nucleotides disodium, ginger powder, whey powder, apartamame (containing phenylalamine)).

None of these appear in real luosifen apart from the salt!

And most of the ingredients which DO appear in real luosifen are missing: snails, pork, pickled bamboo, black cardamom, fennel seed, dried tangerine peel, cassia bark, cloves, pepper, bay leaf, licorice root, peanuts, sand ginger, and star anise, etc. None of the things they use in their packaging illustration are in the product.

They smell just like any other variety of flavoured chip. None of the distinctive luosifen smell whatsoever. Don't ask me what they taste like. I'm not in the habit of putting shit in my mouth!

crisp.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Haven't bought Wise potato chips in years, but I've started noticing this flavor lately:

I am totally addicted to Funions so these really appeal. I suspect they don’t make it north of the border though.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Haven't bought Wise potato chips in years, but I've started noticing this flavor lately:

IMG_6531.thumb.jpg.eb2a84dca445c3e31959fd5061cbdd7a.jpg

I've been buying them a lot.  Really good.  

I just love their logo!

• Like 2

On 6/2/2021 at 7:06 PM, haresfur said:

I bought some Peking Duck flavoured potato chips for the express purpose of posting to this thread but didn't get around to taking a picture and working up the courage to try them and threw the bag out when it started to puff up like a tick on a dog.

Dear sweet baby Jesus. They're alive!

• Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...

I hadn't seen these before and was going to throw some in the cart when I noticed they were $3.69 per bag. And not exactly a huge bag either.  🙂

Still, I'd like to try them. They only had a few bags left on that shelf, does that mean they are really popular? 

Ingredients included "spices, sugar, onion powder, mango powder, garlic powder, tomato powder and paprika extract". 

PXL_20210807_230641799.thumb.jpg.573fb759fc20b09988b596d3d1e50404.jpg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I hadn't seen these before and was going to throw some in the cart when I noticed they were $3.69 per bag. And not exactly a huge bag either.  🙂

The bags are getting smaller and the prices are getting higher! I was astounded at what Lays calls  the family pack. They ought to at least modify it by the word “nuclear”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Probably covered before on this thread, we have become rather addicted to Terra Chips.

Not sexy sounding but providing extraordinary crunch and tantalizing individual flavors.    Unlikely beets, yucca, plantain, sweet potato, more, are totally delicious.   I put bag clips on open bags just to remind me to think before snatching another handful.

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Strong Beer Flavour

No. No. No. It’s wrong. Just reading about them, I get a whiff of stale beer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, Anna N said:

No. No. No. It’s wrong. Just reading about them, I get a whiff of stale beer. 

Unusually, I tried them. Curiosity got the better of me. They weren't bad, but I couldn't detect any beer flavour, stale, fresh or refreshing. I certainly wouldn't buy them again, though.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Unusually, I tried them. Curiosity go tthe better of me. They weren't bad, but I couldn't detect any beer flavour, stale, fresh or refreshing. I certainly wouldn't buy them again, though.

I find with most of these flavours that the very first taste impression matches whatever they claim to be imitating. By the third try or perhaps even before, the chemicals kick in and they no longer resemble anything foodlike. 
Even my favourite  potato chips no longer have much in common with sour cream and onion but I think I’ve become addicted to the chemicals. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I find with most of these flavours that the very first taste impression matches whatever they claim to be imitating. By the third try or perhaps even before, the chemicals kick in and they no longer resemble anything foodlike. 
Even my favourite  potato chips no longer have much in common with sour cream and onion but I think I’ve become addicted to the chemicals. 

I have trouble finding my favourite flavour. Potato!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, heidih said:

These seem to be chips flavored like Funyuns. b=Not the original rings

But the package says rings. 

My 2004 eG Blog

• 10 months later...

Jessica loves finding new or unusual things for us to taste.  She records our reactions and puts them on FB.  Last night we tried these two:

1-IMG_0192.jpg.303e5adf0cad7e6eaa82bf870fdc5c8e.jpg

The pickle chips smelled exactly like a jar of dill pickles had been opened, but the flavor was lacking.  The cheese curls were very mild (we loved the Pepperidge Farm Old Bay goldfish crackers).  Nothing objectionable, but also nothing special.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Kim Shook  I for one, would Love to see Jessica's FB posts!  If not infringing too much on personal privacy.  ☺️

• Like 1

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!