• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

On 3/2/2019 at 5:54 AM, bos said:

I tried the wasabi ginger one and it was ok, they are still around ?

If you go to Lay's web site (click) you can look through their current flavor offerings. Sadly, no wasabi ginger amongst them.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2019 at 6:24 PM, Toliver said:

"Lay’s Adds Beer Cheese, Flamin' Hot Dill Pickle, and Lime & Sea Salt Potato Chip Flavors"

If they show up in your area, please take one for the team and post a review.

Two out of the three I can find within a mile of my house...NOT in a supermarket but in convenience stores and markets attached to gas stations.  Have to get out tomorrow morning for a paper so will investigate.

I just hope the dill pickle part really is dill pickle like.  So far the best dill pickle taste we have found is from Utz...none of the others have that pucker power - including Route 11, one of my favorite chip companies.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

So along with my paper this morning I was able to secure small bags of the Flamin Hot Dill Pickle remix and the Electric Lime Sea Salt chips.

Brought them home and just opened each bag up.  Spread them each out on their own tray.  My thinking behind this, especially with the flamin hot dill pickle, was that I could try chips with different concentrations of seasoning.

Electric lime and sea salt - could taste the pucker of the lime as well as a nice balance of the salt on all chips I tried.  I would definitely buy these again as I am a sucker for a good pucker.  I might also use a green goddess dip with these chips.

Flamin hot fill pickle remix - SIGHHHHHHHH.  Disappointment.  Chips were unevenly coated with the seasoning.  This was a GOOD THING as those that had less seasoning on them showed a bit more dill flavor while those that were coated were almost unbearingly, searing hot.  I notice they include sour cream in some form in the seasoning  but dang it I want dill and pickle!!!!  Even worse is that though the expiration date for the bag is 21 May 2019, about half the chips I sampled seemed stale.

Now to see if I can find the Beer Cheese ones......

• Like 3

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 months later...

"Pringles’ new flavors taste like our 2 favorite comfort foods"

Pringles is known for creating wacky new flavors, having tried everything from Top Ramen to Thanksgiving dinner. Now, they’ve rolled out two new varieties: Bacon and Mac ’n Cheese, both of which will be available exclusively at Dollar General...

Lordy, guess I will have to step into a Dollar General to try these out.:sad:

They're a limited time release...just through the month of August.

If anyone takes one for the proverbial team, please post your reactions.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Chalk it up to tradition and nostalgia, but Pringles Sour Cream and Onion are our fix.    Started from a purchase at a corner store near our Paris hotel, purchased as a sop for afternoon wine in our room.    They grow on you.    397023692_ScreenShot2019-07-19at11_50_18AM.png.647baae5ca3621c7dd8437a92cd183a1.png

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

oh no.  Controversy may erupt since the hot dog picture shows mustard AND ketchup on it.  3....2....1.....go!

(full disclosure, I do mustard/ketchup on my hot dogs.....sometimes)

… and relish.😅

• Delicious 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

13 hours ago, rotuts said:

@CantCookStillTry

you should have let him

If you thought I had any control over my husbands whims... you would be wrong 😂

20190721_120919.thumb.jpg.4cb1aa894f2722f9dba9d748fc3d6678.jpg

They taste. Not sure what of. Not of mustard. Not of red sauce. Not of hot dogs. But they taste. I love all things potato but wasn't inclined to have more than a couple. 

And uh... it's one or the other on a hotdog? I thought that flavour combo was what made a hotdog  🤔 I've been hotdogging wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

In case you wanted further proof Australian snack designers do so in a circle, passing to the left hand side. 

20190727_125308.thumb.jpg.a859168e3f3737b65cd4199efacd3b09.jpg

20190727_125256.thumb.jpg.10294a288a33f49eb9e72beaaf7b53a0.jpg

20190727_125231.thumb.jpg.db73ea183a43d835b38e7b0ca8ac9d2b.jpg

Schnitty. I have a weakness for chips. While I do have limits I would gladly try all of these. Schnitty.

• Haha 1

A pic of the ingredients lists for some of these items would be interesting.The salt content for the hot dog ones must be staggering. I can imagine they could concoct some chemical melange to taste vaguely of a meat sauce, or, way easier,  cheese, but how can these chips possibly taste like macaroni or spaghetti? Just curious because it seems so bizarre. Spag Bol. It jumps the shark. Potato chips that pretend to taste like wheat for those GF souls desperate for some pasta.. I'm moving to Russia, where potato chips are most likely to actually be deep fried potatoes-- with a frisson of dirt and a touch of radioactive iodine. Chernobyl Chips.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

If you want Chernobyl Chips, avoid Russia. Chernobyl ain't there.

It's in Ukraine!

😃

For the moment.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, Duvel said:

Technically not potato crisps, but ...

F5A0966A-E4CF-44BB-94AF-47BBC652E233.jpeg

AAB50268-6B14-459E-B6B4-277D551841F3.jpeg

What sort of tools do you need to get all those tiny little brains and tiny little cheeks out of the shrimp?

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The brains, or at least the heads, of shrimp are the tastiest part!

Fully agree ! Now where to we get that brain extract ..?!