• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

In regards to the three new flavors I previously mentioned...

I re-tried the flavors.

I can't really review the Fried Green Tomatoes Flavored Chips as I have led a deprived life and have never tasted a fried green tomato. Shocking, isn't it? :o

The Everything Bagel Chips still didn't have much flavor, IMHO. I think part of the gimmick here is that some of the chips have poppy seeds on them. Other than that, I can't figure out the draw of this chip flavor.

The Crispy Taco flavored chips have the most flavor, I believe. I can definitely taste cumin and chile powder...though It tastes more like enchilada sauce than a crispy taco.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

With almost all of these flavours I find myself thinking as I enjoy the first one that it really does taste like whatever flavours it purports to be. Then by the third chip I’m completely disillusioned. 

They are a fine diet food because most of the time I just bin the whole bag.  Not so with my favourite Lays Sour Cream and Onion though even these don’t do it for me much anymore. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I rely on the Wavy Lay's Hickory BBQ chips most of the time.  Other than those, I crave Doritos Nacho Cheese flavor.  Both go great with sandwiches and I keep both on hand at all times.

• Like 2

Regarding the new flavor contest, a winner has been declared:

"Crispy Taco Wins Lay’s 'Do Us a Flavor' Contest"

...today, Texan Ellen Sarem took home $1 million for her Crispy Taco iteration. Lay's fans across the country voted on the chip company’s website, Twitter, and Instagram to determine the winner. Sarem’s flavor, which includes fresh lettuce, tomato, and cheese was apparently the tastiest. 

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
19 hours ago, lindag said:

Pringles?  Nyet.  They don't even taste like potato chips.  

I agree, they are their own animal - but they lost that lawsuit so potato chips they are - I didn't want to start a topic just for gross pringle flavours, seemed a non starter! I apologise if I have made an error! 

Pringles in the northern and southern hemispheres are also vastly different. Not in non potato-ness perhaps, still cr*p, but different size, texture - it is peculiar to me when the brand seems to think its one of a kind - its not even one of a kind under its own label. 

I will still eat the red or blue when offered though. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

C47C5031-7CF8-4B7E-ADD5-C3AAC01956AB.thumb.jpeg.c69a21a616537cfac5f8111b09e8c1d3.jpeg

4BC025DE-D042-4EA3-99EC-736B6B8519C5.thumb.jpeg.b0b61f600907ec8f3dcaa3af9a1163fc.jpeg

Spotted while shopping at an Asian grocery store today. Resisted. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Two new to China and being promoted in my local supermarkets.

208014511_eggyolklays.thumb.jpg.611477d009daa3e904b74d3b1470f5c9.jpg

Hero Salted Egg Yolk Flavour

2099158364_laysdurian.thumb.jpg.454c7333f269b6726e2485d2ecbaf24b.jpg

Young Monster Durian Flavour

I surrender.

Saltwd egg yolk as a flavour is usually yummy ... 

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

Yes. In salted eggs.

I bet they taste nothing like salted eggs.

Salted egg yolk flavoured fried fish skin is THE hot item in Hong Kong right now. Most of them are quite good, also itheir potato cousins. Freeze dried egg yolk powder is not expensive ...

There is only one way to find out, @liuzhou ...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

"Lay’s Adds Beer Cheese, Flamin' Hot Dill Pickle, and Lime & Sea Salt Potato Chip Flavors"

Potato chip giant Lay’s has announced its releasing three limited-edition flavors as part of its new “Turn Up the Flavor” campaign. The flavors themselves are pretty fun: the aforementioned Kettle Cooked Classic Beer Cheese, which offers a bit of a cheddar and sour cream vibe; Wavy Electric Lime and Sea Salt, giving the classic tortilla chip seasoning an enjoyable potato counterpoint; and Flamin’ Hot and Dill Pickle, which actually packs some heat while delivering a nice sour balance.

If they show up in your area, please take one for the team and post a review.

Tim Oliver