• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

IMG_0043-1.JPG

Ecuadorian Lay's Sour-Cream and Bacon.  They are epically good.  The sour-cream and chive flavour is subtle enough to not be cloying, and the smokey bacon-ness kind of builds on you until you realize you've eaten the entire bag and now require another.  I'll be very sad if they get phased out.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense
Only the photo posted, not the text. Edited to insert the text. (log)
  • Like 5

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 1:05 PM, liuzhou said:

I've no idea which of these are new here in China.  Some are obviously internationally available; others perhaps not. And then there is the mystery flavour.

(I had to buy some snacks for a social event, so I bought one of each bag they had in the local emporium - there may be more - then photographed them. These are just what they had in bags. I noticed a couple of other flavours in the cardboard tubes - stacks - will investigate further.)

lays1.jpg

Cumin Lamb is very much a local flavour coming from the far west of China, esp in Xinjiang among the Chinese Muslim population.

lays2.jpg

Numb and Spicy Hotpot is a Sichuan classic flavour. 

lays3.jpg

Seaweed snacks are very popular in China, as is squid.

As you will see, all Lay's chips/crisps sold in China are identified bilingually - except one.

Cowboy.jpg

野蛮牛仔骨味 translates as "uncivilised* cowboy rib flavour." I am hoping they are flavoured with the taste of those ribs cowboys favour rather than the cowboys' ribs. Going by the ingredients list they seem to be attempting to replicate beef ribs.

Presumably they are left untranslated to avoid offending any passing uncivilised cowboys.

*野蛮 can also be translated as savage, barbarous, cruel, or brutal. Take your pick.

I just returned from Nanjing tonight. My little cabin luggage was filled with most of the bags that Liuzhou found as well.

Started off with the Cumin Lamb variety. I found it actually very tasty. Cumin, chili, lamb - all there. Already regretting that I bought Cucumber and the Yoghurt one instead of more of the Cumin Lamb stuff ...

WP_20160203_20_57_45_Pro.jpg

• Like 3

After the usual CNY dumplings and an extra helping of sushi I decided to try the "finger licking braised pork" stacked Lay's. I liked it. It's sprinkled with something that tastes like spray-dried Lu Shui. There isn't much pork flavour to talk about but the Lu Shui comes through nicely ...

WP_20160208_21_45_24_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

Well, I have to admit that I regularly use my licked finger tip to get all those tiny broken pieces out of the package. So this time was no different (but elsewise I would have also followed the clear instructions on the package) ...

• Like 1

Yes, I know - it's the "Lay's" thread. However, I found this variety of Pringles today at my local supermarket. For those of you that neither read Katakana nor can recognize the picture: it's Eggs Benedict. It's hard to describe but it somewhat tastes like powdered egg yolk with vegetable undertones. Won't buy it again and will try to get rid of the other two rolls (was a three-for-two offer, that I have never been able to refuse )...

image.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My wife found two unknown varieties at the local supermarket. It seems they are manufactured in Taiwan

We started with the "drumstick"-flavoured one. It reminds me of the artificial chicken taste of powdered chicken broth. There is some onion/garlic aftertaste and a hint of herbs ( can't pin them down though...). Not to be bought again ...

WP_20160303_21_42_40_Rich.jpg

WP_20160303_21_42_55_Rich.jpg

• Like 2

Had the "salty roasted garlic" ones today. Definitely some mellowed garlic flavor there. Unfortunately it did not fit at all to the bottle of Sauvignon Blanc I opened tonight. Had to augment with some dried squid and sushi ... So, no: I won't have these ones either again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_1883.jpg.c9c057fde68f1376a0ecdeef080

Saw these at the pharmacy the other day - was prepared to buy and take one for the team until I saw the store lineup. Hence they have not been purchased or tried.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Wow. Something new in my local grocery store:  Ruffles (made by Frito-Lay) "All Dressed" flavor (click for an article on them).

For those unfamiliar with the flavor so adored by our neighbors to the north, it’s a little hard to describe how these taste. All we know is that they’re made with paprika and a mysterious All Dressed spice blend that hasn’t been made known to the public. Basically, these chips taste a little bit like ketchup, vinegar and BBQ mixed together.

I guess this flavor has been out for awhile but have only recently appeared on grocery shelves in my area.

I don't get the "paprika" mentioned in the article.

Upon first taste, I get the BBQ flavor (plus a little sweetness), I taste some sort of cheese flavoring, a wee bit of vinegar for a nice slight tartness and even a hint of bacon.

They should have called these "Everything But the Kitchen Sink" flavor. xD They're strangely addictive and, on the plus side, they're Ruffles...the chips have ridges so they have some body to them.

Two thumbs up!

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

My partner brought home a bag of the Tikka Masala chips.  Wish they were spicier (I say that about most mass-produced foods).  But a nice treat and will serve with lamb sliders that I will season with Indian spices. 

• Like 2

I just found chips I have never seen before made by the Native Canadian Chip Corporation in MB Canada. The bags have native artwork on them. I picked up the Regular and the Fire chip. Regular is not as good as Lays regular. These are bit thicker and less greasy and a bit flat. But are crunchy. The Fire Chips wow they are good. Reminded me of Hostess BBQ from out East (Canada) but without the smokey taste. After the 2nd chip it felt in my mouth like I'd eaten a whole bag. These are spicy, not greasy and great crunch. .73 Canadian cents for a 43 gram bag. But really the artwork is kewl on the bags:

13892195_10153701735397703_4544984432771710412_n.jpg

13920984_10153701735402703_6425421340807500348_n.jpg

13924873_10153701735407703_8193298375096609617_n.jpg

Edited by Mmmpomps (log)
  • Like 5

My local Subway Sandwich shops are carrying four new flavors of Lays potato chips, some that have been recently mentioned in this discussion.

The four flavors are Tikka Masala, Greek Tzatziki Sauce, Brazilian Picanha (Steak and Chimichurri Sauce), and Chinese Szechuan Chicken.

I tried the Picanha chips and the Szechuan chips.

The Picanha chips didn't taste of steak at all. I used to buy Hanover's Steak and Onion potato chips and those chips tasted like steak & onion. These new Lay chips had no meat flavor that I could discern. I did taste some sort of greenery/onion flavor but I considered it a fail as a flavor.

The Szechuan chips were spicy and tasted very much of soy/umami.  I didn't taste any chicken flavor at all (How difficult can this be? Hasn't anyone at Lay's tried "Chicken in a Biskit" crackers? Those crackers have a definite chicken-y flavor...why can't potato chips makers just copy the recipe?). Still, I really liked these potato chips for their spiciness and for their soy/umami flavor. I just wish the bag came in a larger size. :D

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

16 hours ago, Duvel said:

And how does "Salt & Vinegar" not count as artificially flavoured ?

FritoLay speaks!

Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Corn, and/or Canola Oil), Salt & Vinegar Seasoning (Maltodextrin (Made From Corn), Natural Flavors, Salt, Malic Acid, and Vinegar).

So, no artificial flavors (or flavours).

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

"Salt and Vinegar seasoning". If it contains more than salt and vinegar, the rest is artificially added. And yes, Maltodextrin is not found in nature as such, but has to be hydrolised from corn starch by non-enzymatic methods (because otherwise it would not be found on this label). Malic acid could be isolated from fruits, but to be used in this commodity its food-grade synthetic (and cheap). And "natural flavours" means only that they are derived from natural sources, nothing less

So - as far as I am concerned - this is the same artificially flavoured stuff as Tikka, or Numb&Spicy and Cucumber flavoured chips. And just for the record (if you have read my previous contributions to this topic): the fact that it is does not change its appeal to me ...

• Like 1