• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

In an emergency, I just tried the Cumin Lamb variety above. Absolutely revolting. No taste of cumin or anything that ever got near a sheep. Just overpowering uncooked chili and that unidentifiable muddy taste all "flavoured" chips have.

I'm sticking with plain potato flavour from now on.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I am currently on a business trip to Bangkok, Thailand. This is what the supermarket next to the hotel was able to supply. I fully intend to sample them all once I get back home (need an independent, non alcohol-biased second opinion) ...

(O.K. I tried already the "mystery flavor" - at least to me, as my Thai really s.. Is not that good. It was a weird mixture of lime, sugar and somewhat "damp" flavor. Needed several Singha and some Holy basil chicken to get rid of the aftertaste)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Oregano because I'm in Greece at the moment. The beers are also Greek, btw.

ggffbSJ.jpg

Q8z7EaG.jpg

Bought half kilo of oregano at the market today to take home with me for all things Greek. Here they really do sprinkle it on almost anything (savoury)!

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 1

Thanks !

What's going on here  

:huh:

Has Lays Cornered the Potato Market ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lay's

soooo   Its PepsiCo

buying up all the Potatoes

so soon, good luck on those

Mashed Potatoes  you are planning to make tonight !

BTW  i do indeed hope that those Oregano Chips  have

Greek Oregano on them

the only Oregano that tastes like, well, oregano.

I have a small supply of Russets

this is a Market I now plan to keep my eye on

the potatoes not the chips

:huh:

Edited by rotuts (log)

It may be LAYS, but is it a potato chip?  Real potato chips aren't composed of ground up dehydrated potatoes formed into a round shape slightly curved and sold in a tube. Real potato chips do not involve rice flour, or soy products.  They involve potatoes, oil and salt.  Nor do they have ruffles or ridges.  When pushed into a dip they tend to break.  LAY's Classic like Coke Classic,are the real thing. Real chips do not have bizarre flavors.  Wise buyers should  buy LAYS.  

Caution:highly localized brand name pun included in the above post.

• Like 1

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

• 1 month later...

FD :

1 )    I was weak

2)     they saw me coming

I just got these two :

Chips.jpg

they were on Sale !  

I saved $ 0.79 cents on each bag !

( never mind I had to spend $ 2.50 for each bag.  No Tax.  MA thinks these are food ! )

the NY Reuben was no regular Reuben ---  but one from NY !

it did taste like rye and corned beef.  no cole slaw, or thousand isle  or what ever they put on these in NY.

and no hints of NY.  ( the NY I remember )

if they had less salt, were thicker, TJ's carried them  ( for $ 1.69 / bag, perhaps less )     Id consider them

there was a Truffled French-Fry flavor.  I passed.  

I decided I saved enough money for the day.   and can't remember what truffles taste like, even if Ive ever tasted one.

OK I though Id get it over with and try the S. Biscuits and Gravy

nothing from the South here, no biscuits, nor any gravy

I little pepper, and hint of green onion.

thats it.

if this one came from Tj's Id take it back.

Edited by rotuts (log)

...OK I though Id get it over with and try the S. Biscuits and Gravy

nothing from the South here, no biscuits, nor any gravy

I little pepper, and hint of green onion.

thats it.

if this one came from Tj's Id take it back.

That's surprising to me. I found sage (as in from the seasoning in a pork sausage) to be the pronounced flavor with the Biscuits & Gravy chips. Plus, I could swear there was some sort of creaminess/cheesiness(?) on the chips, too. I guess I'll just have to try them again...as if I needed an excuse to buy the chips. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I made the harrowing trip to the big city yesterday and hit the grocery store.  Everyone in the whole city was at that store, I just know it.  A LINE to get to things like milk and lettuce.  :wacko:

The chip isle, however was empty which allowed me to find a bag of the Reuben flavor and one of the truffle flavor.  They didn't have any biscuit and gravy.  :angry:

So, after not eating a damn thing all day, I got home around 4:30 pm and ripped open the Reuben.  Now, remember, I was starving, but I thought they were GOOD.  I ate half the bag.  :unsure:

Haven't tried the truffle yet.

I think the 'key' to your Chippy Truffle Experience would be to review or re-study the taste of a True Truffle.

Best of Luck with that !

:laugh:

dishes posted here sometimes have black truffles on them.

maybe you should PM those folks for tasting advise !

I did like the Reuben, as Ive said.

you missed nothing on the B&G chip, except a nice Sodium Load.

:blink:

• Like 1

Toliver

Kudos your way.

I went back to the bag of SBG's i had, about 1/3d left and was about to toss it.

then thought better of it   :blink:

indeed there is a hint of Sage.

perhaps my Sage receptors were saturated by the amount of Bell's seasoning I use in my turkeymeatloaf, or other poultry items

( just enough yet not too much )

or burnt out by the Massive sodium Load

but, in fact there is a hint of sage 

Id get some hot french fries, your own or piping hot McD's and just waft a little Bell's over them

if Sage is what you are looking for.

just saying.

Edited by rotuts (log)

has ConAgra or it european and indeed Chinese Conglomerates Gone Nuts ?

its chips, perhaps Crisps

BTW  any in Your Area taste like  USA Beer Nuts ?

perhaps w a whiff  off Old Beer ?

surprised.gif></a></p><p> </p>

Edited by rotuts (log)

I spent three months last spring living in the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium, so when I saw the bottom picture I remembered a word I'd learned there: "Hair salon" potato chips? Ew! Then I clicked the link, and I still thought...ew!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I bought cumin lamb and roasted squid last week in China.. The cumin lamb was pretty good as far as chips went, the squid was ok.. 

23196448661_90d9eca446_z.jpg

The strangest flavor of chip I had in China was Milk Flavored.. Heavily seasoned and though it tasted of cream, it kind of made me sick.... All of these bags, I buy, open, eat a couple of toss.   Wasteful for sure but, better than eating a whole bag. 

• Like 2

I spent three months last spring living in the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium, so when I saw the bottom picture I remembered a word I'd learned there: "Hair salon" potato chips? Ew! Then I clicked the link, and I still thought...ew!

"Hair salon"?  What was the flavor supposed to be? Shampoo? Aquanet hair spray?   :wacko:

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

image.jpeg.d4692e47300eaf1d295a5ddd900f4

Kerry Beal and I wondered into an East Indian grocery store couple of days ago and she spotted these.  WOW. Spicy hot.  Do not try these without a beer close by. Seem tame until you've had about six. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/23/2015 at 8:30 AM, rotuts said:

seems like in China, there's a flavor for each person.

Indeed! What is going on here? Why am I denied seaweed flavor chips here in the USA? Luckily I do get shrimp and squid chips at the local Asian market, but they are not the same as potato chips. And I keep asking the proprietor to please order the hot spicy garlic shrimp chips, and for some reason he refuses to do so. He keeps telling me that no one will buy them. I told him I would buy an entire case if he would just please order them!