• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

My favorites are Lays. They are the best out their in the market.

I had some Lay's chips a couple of days ago. They were the regular chips - not thick cut, no flavorings. I found them to be somewhat greasy and overly salty tasting. I suppose some people - maybe even most - like, or even prefer, that flavor profile, but it doesn't cut it for me. Plus, the thinness of the chip gave little substance - no real crunch and very little mouth feel.

Yes they are thin and have a lot salt but still they are my favorite. In fact a lot of people seem to be their fan. I agree with the thinness part. I think if lays increase the thickness of the chips then the product would be even better.

I think the thinness is part of what makes them distinctive and delicious.

The only think I dont like about Kettle brand chips is they are too thick. They dont always crunch easily.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So finally I got to try Utz. I was in NY most of October and saw a lot of the inside of the local Duane Reade. Utz is on the shelves, although not the Grandma Utz lard chips; these were simple basic salted chips--good, but not remarkable I thought. Of course I never had them growing up, so there's no nostalgia factor for me. Love to just taste the lardy ones, but not enough to mail order a family size bag of high cholesterol potato chips, which I am supposed to steer clear of.

• 2 weeks later...

A reminder of my cousins in Guadalajara, Mexico are the Classic Lay's with lemon juice and Valentina hot sauce (which isn't all that hot). My wife and I love them even though they do tend to wreak havoc on our digestive systems but they're so worth the hassle (and heartburn!).

Seth Mariscal

The Nutty Food Lover

http://www.nuttyfoodlover.com

• 2 months later...

I found some Boulder chips in Australia. USA Foods, a store very close to me, sells some US brands of chips that we otherwise can't buy here. I picked up Boulder's cheddar/jalapeno and sea salt/black pepper. The salt and pepper ones, which I'm eating right now, are pretty good. The jalapeno ones weren't: too much cheddar, not enough chilli. I have no intention of making shopping at USA Foods a habit, despite the excellent chips, as they happily charge $10AUD (which is within a few cents of $10USD) for a box of Cap'n Crunch.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Lay's has introduced BLT flavored chips in our and my wife and I are both hooked.

I bought a bag of those, my wife wouldn't touch it :) It was interesting, not sure I'd call it BLT flavored, but not sure what else...

• 3 months later...

Ruffles Ultimate Tangy Honey Mustard potato chips

RufflesUlt_Tangy-Honey-Mustard.jpg

I consumed a bag of these chips and scanned the empty bag on my office scanner.

Being part of the Ruffles Ultimate line of chips, these chips are extra crispy/crunchy so that's a big plus right from the start.

As for their flavor, they taste exactly like tangy honey mustard. Not too sweet...not too much mustard. They got the flavor balance just right.

The only thing that could make these chips taste even better would be if they added some sort of chicken flavor.

Two thumbs up for these chips!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have not read the entire thread. I apologize if this idea has already been presented:

Always turn the bag upside down when opening a bag of chips and eat from the bottom up. This way you eat the broken chips first and get to enjoy the whole ones at the end.

dcarch

I don't recall which company made them but I remember from about 15 years ago there was a very thick rippled chip that I loved. I think it was sour cream and onion flavored as well. Mostly likely a Lays or a Ruffles brand.

I don't recall which company made them but I remember from about 15 years ago there was a very thick rippled chip that I loved. I think it was sour cream and onion flavored as well. Mostly likely a Lays or a Ruffles brand.

O'Ryan's sour cream and onion made by Hostess (which was later swallowed up by Frito-Lay). In a green bag.

True story--I was so upset by the death of O'Ryan's sour cream and onion chips (the sour cream and cheddar were supposed to be good, too, but I could never eat anything but the S&O) that several years after they disappeared, I sent an email to Hostess imploring them to bring back my favourite chips.

I got a very kind (but confused) reply stating that I must have had the wrong company, because Hostess makes Twinkies, not potato chips.

Oops. Who knew there was more than one Hostess in the world?

(I hear they have an O'Ryan's sour cream and onion chip in New Zealand which may be similar. I must only get to New Zealand to try them)

I have not read the entire thread. I apologize if this idea has already been presented:

Always turn the bag upside down when opening a bag of chips and eat from the bottom up. This way you eat the broken chips first and get to enjoy the whole ones at the end.

dcarch

This would be ridiculous, if it weren't such a good idea...

I used to get a brand years ago, but I can't remember its name. It was in a red and white striped bag. It may have had the state of Texas on it.

The only flavor I got was the Jalepeno, wub.gif and MAN were they perfect. Thicker than normal, spicy, salty, I can still taste them. I also adore good salt and vinegar chips, and dill chips. I like thick chips. I like chips so much however that now I don't buy them or even go down the isle. I have no control when it comes to chips. Last time I bought a good bag of S&V chips, the entire bag was gone before I got home. I realized then, that I had a problem. So now, I get one of those 25 cent bags when I go to the store as a reward. Dill, if I can find them.

Now I'm craving chips so badly that I can't trust myself to enter a grocery store until it passes. Thanks.

is it from Art and Mary's? ahh I can finish a bag of chips while watching movie. Its like programmed into my mind and i kept going until the whole pack is gone! P=

• 2 weeks later...

Herr's dark russet kettle chips. I enjoy it when I find a dark chip, mow I can buy a whole bag!

The dark ones are the only good Wise chips in the bag. Herr's rules.

dcarch

My philosophy is the opposite. Eat the best things first for maximum appreciation. Then you can let your dog eat the broken bits of whatever on the bottom, because you are already deeply satisfied.

dcarch

My philosophy is the opposite. Eat the best things first for maximum appreciation. Then you can let your dog eat the broken bits of whatever on the bottom, because you are already deeply satisfied.

But consider this also:

The current epidemic obesity problem is mostly caused by " I will just eat the broken ones".

So if you deplete the broken ones from the start, you will have no more excuses to over-eat.

dcarch :-)

dcarch

I like to scramble the "broken bits" in with my morning eggs. And top with a bit of hot sauce.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.