• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

A very, very long time ago (15+ years) I had a big bag of Cape Cod chips I think they were called "The Brown Ones".

They were the chips that spent a little extra time in the fryer and were dark, flavorful, and so yummy that I still think of them to this day.

Anybody know of another brand that sells their brown potato chips?

Kay and Ray's, out of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, makes an outstanding dark chip, cooked in lard.

Kettle Chips Sea Salt and Pepper. Yummy goodness.

Ditto here. Couldn't resist posting. You can leave pretty much anything out and available to me...except for good potato chips. Big downfall. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We were in Scotland in 2005 and we saw some unusual flavors. I was positively addicted to the chicken potato chips. They also had roast beef flavor and lamb with mint jelly. When we got back, I wrote the company (it might have been a subsidiary of Lays) and asked them about it. They said it was only available in Europe, but sent me a case of 4 small bags.

I found another brand of chicken potato chips in Target, but they weren't the same. Too salty. But still a nice chickeny flavor.

There's a brand available here - Calbee - that's got some pretty different flavours (I think it's from Japan). Curry, pizza, crab, cuttlefish, wasabi, okonomiyaki, and my favourite, seaweed. There's a few other, but can't recall what they are.

Walker's ran a promotion like this last year, with lots of different flavors to try. You were supposed to vote on your favorite. Some were fun for the novelty, others were actually tasty. I especially liked the Crispy Duck & Hoisin flavor.

It's probably better that I no longer live in the UK, so can't go out and buy a bag of each of these to sample!

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

• 1 month later...

Just had some Roquefort and Caramelized Onion chips from Aldi. The taste reminded me of used sweat-socks. The sea salt and lemon are better. Still, my bench mark for a bad potato chip/crisp idea is steak and kidney pie. Well that and what passes for Bar-B-Que. But having grown up with BBQ chips, they hold a strange appeal in spite of the lack of authentic flavour.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

British food might get a bit of abuse, but if there is one area where we rule the world it is in our dazling array of crisp flavours. I've not sampled the new world cup ones yet, although my housemate swears by the garlic baguette flavour. Vloglady - I think you must have sampled the delights of 'Brannigans' crisps - a definite highlight. Beef and mustard ones are the best, you occasionally get an extra mustardy one which blows your head off. Bit like eating Padron peppers!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

• 9 months later...

I love potato chips. I think they are the king of salty snacks. Lots of good stuff has been mentioned here. I've got a lot of favorites, too

Kettle

Zapps

Utz (I need to see if I can get the "Grandma" ones cooked in lard)

Target house brand (Archer Farms, I believe)

Lays Kettle Cooked

Wavy Lays (I love these made with Hidden Valley Ranch Dip)

I think I need to go to the grocery store.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 1 year later...

So it does turn out to be true that your favorite potato chip probably isn't the same as my favorite potato chip.

It all depends on where you live:

America: a patchwork of potato chip varieties

Though thin and flat may be the national standard (in the USA)— and bestselling variety — of this ubiquitous snack, regional and sometimes hyper-local preferences for different calibers of crunch, thickness, seasonings and endless other elements have created a surprisingly diverse culinary patchwork of chip styles around the country.

I think the internet might be the great equalizer in the end. You're able to buy just about any brand, any kind of chip no matter where you live in the country (or the world for that matter) thanks to finding a good source online.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My favorites are Lays. They are the best out their in the market.

I had some Lay's chips a couple of days ago. They were the regular chips - not thick cut, no flavorings. I found them to be somewhat greasy and overly salty tasting. I suppose some people - maybe even most - like, or even prefer, that flavor profile, but it doesn't cut it for me. Plus, the thinness of the chip gave little substance - no real crunch and very little mouth feel.

... Shel

Lately I'm into Kettle Organic sea salt and black pepper. Kettle sea salt and pepper come in 3 varieties as far as I can tell: the organic chips, the crinkle cut and the baked. The baked are sort of half baked, pretty dull. The crinkles taste oily and salt. The organic are excellent.