• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

I recently traveled to Bulgaria, where I sampled some flavors of chips that I have never seen in the US.

Roasted chicken flavor -- strong herbal flavor (sage), tasty, would eat again

gallery_51874_4687_6129.jpg

Paprika -- red color but bland taste, hard to detect any paprika flavor, would probably not eat again

gallery_51874_4687_6497.jpg

Hot Pepperoni -- I did not try these but others did and gave them the thumbs up

gallery_51874_4687_87.jpg

Heintz Ketchup -- Strong, ketchuppy flavor; not bad at all (if you like ketchup), would definitely eat again

gallery_51874_4687_2988.jpg

Texas Barbeque -- this was very similar to BBQ chips in the US, as I suspected, but it was odd to find these being sold by a street vendor in a remote mountain town in Bulgaria!

gallery_51874_4687_7142.jpg

Oregano -- not pictured; but very good, strong oregano flavor, would definitely eat again. Probably my favorite.

Ooh. Is the flavor kind of like a Chick'n-in-a-Biskit cracker? Which is a mighty fine chicken-broth-tasting cracker.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Ooh. Is the flavor kind of like a Chick'n-in-a-Biskit cracker? Which is a mighty fine chicken-broth-tasting cracker.

The best way that I can describe it is as follows. Imagine the flavor of a nice, savory chicken stuffing with lots of sage . . . but with the crispiness and saltiness of a potato chip. The chicken flavor was not as pronounced as the sage flavor, but it was still there. I was rather surprised that it tasted as good as it did, since the thought of a "chicken" flavored potato chip didn't really jump out at me.

The oregano flavor (which I forgot to photograph) was probably my favorite.

I recently traveled to Bulgaria, where I sampled some flavors of chips that I have never seen in the US.  [...]

Heintz Ketchup -- Strong, ketchuppy flavor; not bad at all (if you like ketchup), would definitely eat again

gallery_51874_4687_2988.jpg

Maybe you just haven't been to the right part of the US yet.

Herr's has a Heinz Ketchup flavor chip in its product lineup. (Click on the link on the page to see a bag.)

I see they also have some flavors I haven't encountered yet on shelves in my immediate area: Baby Back Ribs and Bacon and Horseradish. The latter is a dip-and-chip-in-one combo; but I wonder if the "Baby Back Ribs" chip will be interesting or a disappointment like their Philly Cheesesteak flavor.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

The best way that I can describe it is as follows. Imagine the flavor of a nice, savory chicken stuffing with lots of sage . . . but with the crispiness and saltiness of a potato chip. The chicken flavor was not as pronounced as the sage flavor, but it was still there. I was rather surprised that it tasted as good as it did, since the thought of a "chicken" flavored potato chip didn't really jump out at me.

The oregano flavor (which I forgot to photograph) was probably my favorite.

All I can say is YUM. I'd eat 'em. Especially if Utz made them. Fried in chicken fat. :wub:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Are ketchup chips commonly available in the US these days? I remember a day when they were exclusive to Canada. I'm still proud they are, at least, a homegrown flavour, as I adore them like no other.

Two notes to add here -

I've dscovered that Utz chips are a staple at the Dollar Tree chain, at least here in NNJ - i.e., you can get a big bag for cheaper & closer to expiration date than in your supermarket.

While in Maine earlier this summer, I could not find my personal fave Humpty Dumpty chips in the stores. This was very distressing. A little Web research shows that this once outstanding Maine firm was bought by Canadians last year. Merde! Is nothing sacred?

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Are ketchup chips commonly available in the US these days?  I remember a day when they were exclusive to Canada.  I'm still proud they are, at least, a homegrown flavour, as I adore them like no other.

Old Dutch Ketchup Chips. When I lived in the US, my dorm-mates would request them when I went home for the weekend. The best.

in Farmington , IL they have made Kitchen Cooked chips for as long as i can remember........

like most of you there is some sentimental value in foods like this........

my gf and i would find the "fold overs" and feed them to each other.......

it went on for almost 30 years........

A very, very long time ago (15+ years) I had a big bag of Cape Cod chips I think they were called "The Brown Ones".

They were the chips that spent a little extra time in the fryer and were dark, flavorful, and so yummy that I still think of them to this day.

Anybody know of another brand that sells their brown potato chips?

A very, very long time ago (15+ years) I had a big bag of Cape Cod chips I think they were called "The Brown Ones".

They were the chips that spent a little extra time in the fryer and were dark, flavorful, and so yummy that I still think of them to this day.

Never had those. I'm a sucker for the extra-brown ones, so this is what I pick up when a craving hits:

http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=2511

Though Utz is carried in stores around here, I haven't seen the dark variety since I moved to upstate NY, come to think of it.... Guess that makes them even more of a special treat if I ever do see 'em again!

• 3 weeks later...

Susie -- Are you sure the Cape Cod Robust Russet's aren't what you're looking for? Perhaps 15 years ago they were sold under a different name (and in fact until recently they were called Dark Russets, but now the name has been changed to Robust Russet)? They are always what I go to when I'm looking for an extra dark chip...

http://www.capecodchips.com/products/chips.aspx

Emily

Utz-Crab.jpg

It's a Chesapeake Bay thing...

Growing up less than an hour from the Utz factory, many a summer drive found us at the Utz Factory sampling outrageously fresh chips. Mom and Dad would buy them in these giant 3 gallon tins, and keep them on the attic steps. Never fancy flavors- always just the regular chips.

Wow, what memories the sound of a tin of chips opening brings! The smell of salt and lard, the gentle grabbing of a big handful- so as not to break them. Poking around in the tin for the ones that had folded over while cooking- that were extra crunchy. My sister crying to my Mom that "Michael's picking out all the good ones again!!"

Cape Cod chips are awesome.

Sea salt and malt vinegar Kettle Chips are fantastic with beer

But regular Utz will always be #1. It's one of the tastes that brings childhood flooding back.

Any dish you make will only taste as good as the ingredients you put into it. If you use poor quality meats, old herbs and tasteless winter tomatoes I don’t even want to hear that the lasagna recipe I gave you turned out poorly. You're a cook, not a magician.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a bag of these California Chips Creamy Chipotle potato chips out of the vending machine at work and, man, are they ever smokin' hot!

gallery_9387_874_20577.jpg

I am a confessed chilihead. I like hot and spicy foods. So when I tell you these chips are HOT, they are hot. :wub: They're supposed to also have some sour cream flavoring but I didn't taste that at all (maybe they need more of a tang?).

I have an email in to the company to find out if they make larger bags. :laugh:

edited to add: I just heard back from Kevin at California Chips. Talk about a fast response! He told me to check out my local Cost Plus World Market for the chips and even provided me directions to get there. Nice response!

Their website needs a lot of work:

California Chips

I also stumbled across this interesting concept:

Anchor's Chip of the Month Club

Their website needs some work, too, but it's a great concept...providing samples of potato chips from different small manufacturers across the US.

Has anyone tried this?

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

Toliver, I just noticed your post on the Chip of the Month club and may seriously get that for my sister for her birthday.

Anyway - my latest chip news is from Egypt, the labels of which were in Arabic, so I have no idea what the brand was. There were, helpfully, pictures of the ingredients so I generally knew what I was getting into. The only English word on the label was "Chipsy". Similar texture to Lays. My favorite was the Chicken + Herbs, which was nicely chicken-y and salty. I also tried the tomato flavored Chipsy's which reminded me of eating tomato paste. Not good.

The salt Chipsy's got me through a lot of Stella beer on a felucca trip. :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Some years back before I'd been to Québec myself, a friend living there at the time brought me back both dill pickle- and ketchup-flavored chips. I don't recall the brand, but they were both said to be rarities outside the area. Ketchup was passable, but the pickle chips were excellent - like salt & vinegar with some extra spices. I'd grab those again in a heartbeat if I saw them.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

• 7 months later...
Some years back before I'd been to Québec myself, a friend living there at the time brought me back both dill pickle- and ketchup-flavored chips.  I don't recall the brand, but they were both said to be rarities outside the area.  Ketchup was passable, but the pickle chips were excellent - like salt & vinegar with some extra spices.  I'd grab those again in a heartbeat if I saw them.

Both ketchup and dill pickle chips can be found across Canada. Just make a short trip up north and you can get your fill. (Not sure about the particular brand you had, though.)

Pringles has dill pickle chips. They were an "extreme" flavour, and they were very mild compared to pretty much any Canadian brand of dill pickle chips. I thought they sucked, actually.

Here in France we can get fantastic hand sliced and cooked potato chips. Nothing added except a bit of salt.

Absolutely wonderful they are.

Made in Spain believe it or not! For the French to import them is really saying something!

Kettle Chips Sea Salt and Pepper. Yummy goodness.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

• 3 weeks later...