• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

If you're a fan of kettle brand chips, check this out.

They are selling a party pack for 14.95 (includes shipping). You get your choice of 5 flavors, mix and match. 4 of the flavors are unreleased, 1 of them( Island Jerk) will be out on the market( it might already be availble in stores).

They are selling a party pack for 14.95 (includes shipping).  You get your choice of 5 flavors, mix and match.  4 of the flavors are unreleased, 1 of them( Island Jerk) will be out on the market( it might already be availble in stores).

This is dangerous.

Kettle Brand chips are already great, and now they're experimenting with flavorings. (I noticed some other new varieties on my last foray into Whole Foods.)

Returning the favor: If you're looking for this kind of taste and crunch on a budget, you should check out the Archer Farms line at Target. Great quality at an equally great price. (You can find some products in this line, including the chips, at regular Target stores as well as Super Target.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

They are selling a party pack for 14.95 (includes shipping).  You get your choice of 5 flavors, mix and match.  4 of the flavors are unreleased, 1 of them( Island Jerk) will be out on the market( it might already be availble in stores).

This is dangerous.

Kettle Brand chips are already great, and now they're experimenting with flavorings. (I noticed some other new varieties on my last foray into Whole Foods.)

I recently stumbled upon Buffalo Blue Cheese Kettle Chips at Costco...dangerous indeed. :biggrin:

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

In the past 6 months i've successfully lost 45 pounds and the only thing that I crave so badly I can't even allow them in the house are Barbeque Potato chips.

The best I've had are Herr's which I can't get down here in Savannah

In the past 6 months i've successfully lost 45 pounds and the only thing that I crave so badly I can't even allow them in the house are Barbeque Potato chips.

The best I've had are Herr's which I can't get down here in Savannah

I'm in the middle of Herr's country, and I will second your opinion of Herr's barbecue potato chips.

When it comes to plain chips, though, Herr's are clearly inferior to Utz, which you can also get here but not where you live.

Kettle Spicy Thai :wub::wub: and Cheddar Beer :wub::wub::wub: chips -- yum!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I second the Buffalo Bleu Krinkle Cut and the Spicy Thai varieties from Kettle. :wub::wub:

I have not seen the Island Jerk flavor out yet.

Along the lines of this awesome article from The Onion: <Potato Chip Connoisseur>, my sister and I conducted a "Chip Tasting" to compare the latest Kettle varieties (Buffalo Bleu, NY Cheddar, Cheddar-Beer, and Spicy Thai), as well as the new Blazin' Buffalo Ranch Dorito flavor. I believe the Buffalo Bleu beat out the competition due to the superior crunch of the Krinkle-Cut variety. My sister favored the creamy finish of the Blazin' Buffalo Ranch Doritos. She is, of course, incorrect. :biggrin:

This is, of course, possibly a rationale for the weight-loss plateau that I reported in the WW thread.

Edited by viva (log)

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I've enjoyed the new Pringle's selects chips recently. I went on a splurge, and I wouldn't buy these if I didn't have a little extra money right now. But they're better than regular pringles, not as good as freshmade kettle chips. My fave at the moment is the spicy schezuan pepper. It's not really spicy at all, but you get that good pepper flavor without much heat (and that's saying a lot, b/c I'm a huge spice wuss :raz: ).

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Returning the favor:  If you're looking for this kind of taste and crunch on a budget, you should check out the Archer Farms line at Target.  Great quality at an equally great price.  (You can find some products in this line, including the chips, at regular Target stores as well as Super Target.)

Sandy! You gotta stop! You're killin' me! :angry: You're giving me the deadly joneses on the very first day of my diet!

The Archer Farms flavors are really good. I just finished (and food journaled/catalogued my calories) the very tail end of a bag of the Parmesan/Garlic chips. I've had some of the other flavors and they're also really tasty.

Must avoid thinking about/purchasing oily high calorie snacks for awhile...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

5 pages & not one mention of Humpty Dumpty chips? Let me rectify that riight now! They're difficult, perhaps impossible, to find outside of Maine, but if you happen to be up that way, don't be put off by the nursery-rhyme name, grab a bag as soon as you see them. Not only are they made from Maine taters, they are cooked till they're nicely browned & have developed twice the flavor intensity of an Utz or Herr's chip, & thrice that of most anyone else's.

When we're up in Maine & having lobster rolls, I always bring my own bag of Humpty Dumpty to the wharf & feed the regular chips that come with the roll to the seagulls while I enjoy some seriously good eating. I recommend this practice to all.

Outside of Maine, & particularly since I've been on my low sodium diet, I'm fond of the Kettle Salt-Free, which happen to be a russet strain. They're very good.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before...

Right now, I'm partial to Miss Vickie's Lime and Black Pepper, Sea Salt and Malt Vinegar, the Schlotsky's Black Pepper chips...oh, who am I kidding, I just love potato chips, preferably the "kettle-cooked" variety. But in a pinch, even Pringles are fine, although I really don't consider them potato chips as much as potato snacks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Has anyone tried the new Pringle Selects? (it's a Flash web site...click on the link, click on "New Products" and then click on Pringles Select).

They come in four flavors: Parmesan Garlic, Sun-Dried Tomato, Sezchuan Barbecue and Cinammon Sweet Potato. The Szechuan Barbecue chips have "rice flour" as the main ingredient and the Cinammon Sweet Potato chips actually have sweet potato flakes as the first ingredient on the ingredient label.

These are a lot more expensive than regular Pringles potato chips (about three times as much as a single can).

The Szechuan Barbecue chips are smaller than regular Pringles (I can't speak for the other flavors since I didn't buy them):

gallery_9387_874_18820.jpg

Since I didn't have a camera handy, I scanned some chips next to a quarter for size reference.

The Szechuan Barbecue chips do have a little heat to them. I'm a chile head and they don't faze me a bit, but I do recognize there's a little heat there.

They also have a good soy sauce flavor with some spice undertones (I think I can taste a little ginger). Their texture is a bit like Pringles, but these are a little crisper than Pringles.

Now I am anxious to try the other flavors.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

Cape Cod. Regular Kettle. Best. Hands Down! Even better if you heat them in the oven!!

But, when I was a kid living in Virginia, my family and I use to go to this restaurant in Brandermill (I cant remember the name) and they served these warm potato chips (cooked just a little longer so they turned out brown and nutty) tossed with parmesan cheese. This was at least 15 years ago and I still remember them.

-Chef Johnny

Edited by ChefJohnny (log)

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

I tried the Parmesan Garlic Pringle Selects. They're not that special. The garlic isn't "there" in the bite but is more present in the aftertaste. Even then, it's not that strong of a presence.

The parmesan flavor isn't that strong of a presence, either. It's just a sort of generic cheese flavor on the chips.

So now I'm wishing I'd bought the Sun-Dried Tomato chips insead. :angry:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I love all types of chips I imagine although rarely eat them ..until I found my favorite chips TIM's cascade Alder bbq ...dipped in whole fat cottage cheese ..a dear friend taught me that and I have been cursing him for my new addiction ever since!!!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Being Canadian, I have the distinct pleasure of having access to Ketchup flavoured potato chips at every possible corner store, which is a great fall-back option. Lays only, thanks.

But, my all-time favourite are Old Dutch "Dutch Crunch" Chipotle & Lime. A close second is their Buffalo Wing and Blue Cheese flavour. Kettle cooked, and absolutely loaded with flavour.

I hate it when chips are so scantly dusted with flavour powder that you can't taste what they're supposed to be. If I wanted plain chips, I'd buy plain chips, you bastards.

Edited by Bueno (log)

<perk> Old Dutch... brings back college memories. One of the best days each semester was when the goody package from my Minnesota roommate's mother arrived. She knew that we were unable to procure Old Dutch in Chicago, so she'd send one bag each for me and my roommate, and we'd plunk down on the couch to watch movies and chow down on Old Dutch. Yum!

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope