• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

The luosifen chips I mentioned up-thread have proved impossible to find in Liuzhou where the dish originated. They wouldn't dare!

But at great expense and personal hardship, I've managed to track a bag down purely for this topic! So, here they are.

packet.thumb.jpg.c70114071b16eb0e50461aeeaae4bee6.jpg

119859143_luosifencrisps1024.thumb.jpg.7d8674eb4bb5c65566890f4a69402fcc.jpg

The ingredients (and everything else) are in given Chinese, of course. 

ingredients.thumb.jpg.ce1e0faece8cc3f32ae8531325a48dd8.jpg

In English they are:

Potato, vegetable oil, snail noodle seasoning (sugar, edible flavouring, MSG (monosodium glutamate), salt, garlic powder, maltodextrin, mixed soy sauce powder/chilli, white vinegar powder, tomato powder, yeast extract, citric acid, 5-flavor nucleotides disodium, ginger powder, whey powder, apartamame (containing phenylalamine)).

None of these appear in real luosifen apart from the salt!

And most of the ingredients which DO appear in real luosifen are missing: snails, pork, pickled bamboo, black cardamom, fennel seed, dried tangerine peel, cassia bark, cloves, pepper, bay leaf, licorice root, peanuts, sand ginger, and star anise, etc. None of the things they use in their packaging illustration are in the product.

They smell just like any other variety of flavoured chip. None of the distinctive luosifen smell whatsoever. Don't ask me what they taste like. I'm not in the habit of putting shit in my mouth!

crisp.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

The luosifen chips I mentioned up-thread have proved impossible to find in Liuzhou where the dish originated. They wouldn't dare!

But at great expense and personal hardship, I've managed to track a bag down purely for this topic! So, here they are.

In English they are:

Potato, vegetable oil, snail noodle seasoning (sugar, edible flavouring, MSG (monosodium glutamate), salt, garlic powder, maltodextrin, mixed soy sauce powder/chilli, white vinegar powder, tomato powder, yeast extract, citric acid, 5-flavor nucleotides disodium, ginger powder, whey powder, apartamame (containing phenylalamine)).

And most of the ingredients which DO appear in real luosifen are missing: snails, pork, pickled bamboo, black cardamom, fennel seed, dried tangerine peel, cassia bark, cloves, pepper, bay leaf, licorice root, peanuts, sand ginger, and star anise, etc. None of the things they use in their packaging illustration are in the product.

They smell just like any other variety of flavoured chip. None of the distinctive luosifen smell whatsoever. Don't ask me what they taste like. I'm not in the habit of putting shit in my mouth!

crisp.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

In English they are:

And most of the ingredients which DO appear in real luosifen are missing: snails, pork, pickled bamboo, black cardamom, fennel seed, dried tangerine peel, cassia bark, cloves, pepper, bay leaf, licorice root, peanuts, sand ginger, and star anise, etc.

crisp.jpg