• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mai tai

rumgal

Yah Trader Vic first created the drink.

it goes something like this:

good anejo rum (2 oz. ?)

juice 1/2 lime

3/4 oz orange curacau

dash orgeat(almond syrup)

some simple syrup

I don't care to reinvent the wheel, but I like to muddle whatever fresh fruit is in season with the drink if I feel like it.

i just made these for a party and they went over pretty damned well.

3 parts light rum

1 1/2 parts dark rum

1 part orange curacau (or any orange liquor)

1 part amaretto (or any almond liquor)

2 parts orange/pinepple juice or pineapple juice

1 part fresh lemon juice

this is a *very* strong drink. i added a lot more juice.

Edited by tommy (log)

i just made these for a party and they went over pretty damned well. 

"They" went over pretty well?

You mean the people drinking them? Like, tipped over? :blink:

oh yeah. it was awesome dude. check out my friend jimmy at 5 PM

Quite an industrial-style toilet you've there, tommy. :biggrin:

We made these x-large sized and called them bye-byes...only one per customer (we are not so lucky to have Tommy's industrial strength toilet)

this is a Dale DeGroff recipe:

2 oz. Aged Rum

3/4 oz. Curacao (or Triple sec)

3/4 oz. lime juice

1/4 oz. Orgeat Syrup (or almond syrup)

Dash of Angostura Bitters

I usually serve this with a lime 'cause I do not like maraschino cherries

Challah back!

The Mai Tai was not just pioneered by Trader Vic, but it was invented by him as well. It is important to remember that back on those days, many of the various "Tiki" restaurants were quite secretive about some of their primary drink recipes. The "Zombie" for instance, by Don the Beachcomber, is one that nobody really is sure what the "real" recipe is. Don's bartenders didn't even know. They mixed it up from pre-mix bottles that Don would prepare, and they just knew "2 shots of Bottle A, 1 shot of Bottle B, 3 shots of Bottle C" (or somesuch).

Regarding the Mai Tai...

There were lots of folks claiming to have invented this drink, and Victor Bergeron (Trader Vic) finally located the folks he first made this drink for and had them sign an affidavid attesting to when, where, and how he happened to mix this drink up for them the first time, and how they provided the name "Mai Tai".

But due to the "secrecy" that Trader Vic kept on this recipe (which meant he didn't list it in his recipe books), if somebody had a real Mai Tai at T.V., then went to another bar and asked for one, the bartender wouldn't know the recipe, and so they would just make something up based on what the customer said the drink tasted like. This is why so many random Mai Tai recipes exist, and why most bartenders treat this drink as "rum and a bunch of juices".

You can see the story of the real Mai Tai at: http://www.tradervics.com/mai-tai-1.html

And you can see the recipe that I use for making Mai Tais at: http://www.drinkboy.com/cocktails/recipes/maitai.html

The drinks that use pineapple juice, orange juice, papaya juice, etc. might be fine drinks, but they are not Mai Tai's.

-Robert Hess

www.DrinkBoy.com