• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Village Green Restaurant

Rosie

We went again to the Village Green last night. Another outstanding meal. FYI, their menu will change today to reflect the new season.

Tommy, Anthony, & Amy: It was a pleasure seeing you again, and Thank you so much for sharing your wine. I really enjoyed the Pinot Noir :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

... Gazelle Cafe on Godwin in Ridgewood also does great things with vegetarian...the menu lists the chefs prefered sides, but you can mix and match from the list or order 3 side for ($10) as an entree instead. They also stay away from "simple" starches for Atkins crowd... whole wheat pasta, sweet potato fries, whipped cauliflower.... Whole kitchen is open to the dining room also ...BYOB of course...liquore store few doors up too.

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a fan of David Corcoran for some time now and was most happy to read that he gave the Village Green a very well deserved "excellent". What I was not too happy about was that, in his review, he needs to mention two friends who went there and left hungry. WHY? I have gone to this restaurant with both friends and recently my family 4 times now and no one has mentioned that they were still hungry after having 5 courses. In fact the comment most often heard is that they were happy not to have orderd the 7 course dinner. IMHO the 5 course portions easily compare to a very healthy 3 course dinner anywhere else. (Is it necessary to walk out of a restaurant stuffed and discussing the huge portions rather than the food.) With that said I am delighted to have a restaurant of this caliber on this side of the Hudson and even more delighted when I recommend this restaurant and receive such wonderful cudo's for the recommendation.

Hank

Couldn't agree more, Hank! I just read the review and when I got to that section, thought "If you're saying the restaurant is excellent, why include this?!?" It just seems counterproductive to mention a tasting-menu-only restaurant and then put the idea in the reader's head that they might not get enough to eat. I only ate at VG once, but I was certainly full when I left...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 9 months later...

We ate there again last week I thought I would update this thread. Everything was very good and the wait staff seemed more on the ball than previous occasions.

The menu. We had the 7-course. (format stolen from chefdavidrusso's thread)

Started with something from the chef. A chinese style spoon with a piece of roasted artichoke heart, goat cheese and microgreens.

1st Course

ME - Big Eye Tuna Tartar

GF - Lump crab salad (cake) with avocado, greens, and citrus dressing.

THE WINNER - Toss up.

2nd Course

ME - Daily special grilled white aspargus with micro greens and balsamic vinagrette.

GF - Heirloom Tomato Salad with Bleu Cheese, Crispy Shallots, Micro Greens, and Basil Oil.

THE WINNER - Tomato salad.

3rd Course

ME - Foie Gras with Cranberry Mango Bread Pudding, Red Wine Reduction ad Aged Balsamic Drizzles

GF. - same

THE WINNER - Foie gras (actually I forget what else was available, since we both wanted the foie gras.

4th Course

ME - Sea bass with cockles in a tomato "broth".

GF - Seared Tuna (I forget how it was presented)

THE WINNER - Sea Bass

5th Course

ME - Braised short rib with gorgonzola polenta.

GF - Muscovy duck breast on toasted wild rice with red-wine and cranberry reduction.

THE WINNER - Short Rib

6th Cheese course

Five or six (sorry can't remember) types of cheese served with cranberry bread, creamy chèvre and Vermont blue are the only two I remember for sure.

7th Dessert (not a big dessert eater so I don't recall the details of mine)

ME - Blueberries with shortbread and cream.

GF - Fallen chocolate cake

THE WINNER - Chocolate cake

Edited by MikeyMike (log)

• 5 months later...

According to the latest issue of 201 Magazine (Feb 2006) the Village Green has changed hands, same chef, just new owner.

The new owner is Franco Lofaro

Former proprietor of Mediterraneo in Harrington Park (ever heard???)

Plans on re-introducing lunch....hopefully that will be the only change!

Love that tasting menu concept!

Hike

Wow, that is big news. I wonder why she sold? Something tells me it wont be the same with a new owner, or as good.... :sad:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

According to the latest issue of 201 Magazine (Feb 2006) the Village Green has changed hands, same chef, just new owner.

Hike

Didn't this restaurant get a new owner less than 2 years ago after the original owner passed away? Guess he didn't like the resto biz!!

I vote for another change-- Sunday opening! It seems to make so much more sense to close on Mondays and open Sundays...

Hike

Didn't this restaurant get a new owner less than 2 years ago after the original owner passed away? Guess he didn't like the resto biz!!

I vote for another change-- Sunday opening! It seems to make so much more sense to close on Mondays and open Sundays...

First, the selling owner is a "she", not a "he". She owned the restaurant when the old chef passed away. At that point (after a period of mourning), she hired a new chef and joined him in the kitchen.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Hike

First, the selling owner is a "she", not a "he". She owned the restaurant when the old chef passed away. At that point (after a period of mourning), she hired a new chef and joined him in the kitchen.

I happen to know quite a few chefs and they look very much forward to spending Sundays with their children which they cannot do on school days as per Mondays.

Hank

I happen to know quite a few chefs and they look very much forward to spending Sundays with their children which they cannot do on school days as per Mondays.

Well, that would seem to say that ALL retail should close Sundays. Ain't happened since 1982.

Well, that would seem to say that ALL retail should close Sundays. Ain't happened since 1982.

the fact that this restaurant is open on monday and closed on sunday seems to suggest that they want to be open on monday and closed on sunday.

personally i love it when restaurants are open on monday, since so many are closed.

• 2 months later...

Anyone been lately? The bride is taking me out for my birthday....

Thanks,

Bill

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to recall that there were new owners, but hadn't heard that they're closing. Where's Tommy when we need him?!? :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I seem to recall that there were new owners, but hadn't heard that they're closing.  Where's Tommy when we need him?!?  :laugh:

I'm going to be stopping by this week...I'll find out and let you know

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

I was inquiring the other day if this restaurant was closing, well I heard today that the chef left.

they have a new owner as of a few months ago, as reported above in this thread. and the chef has now left. none of this necessarily translates into closing, however.

• 2 months later...

Village Green has always been one of my favorite restaurants. I understand that they have a new chef. Can anyone tell me if they have been there since the new chef arrived and if anything has changed as far as the menu or the quality of the food.

Susan

• 1 month later...