• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

D'artagnan products in northern jersey

Yes.  But if you DID, duck legs are usually available at a good price at Asian markets, in my experience.

money is no object to me. my time is worth more than the pennies a lb i'd save.

you people can poop on my thread all you want. all i know is that it'll be here for me to reference and add to. my evil plan will work at all costs.

D'artagnan also ships. All these places, in my experience (vast as it is) rarely consistantly stock this item because the demand is so small. Besides your own homemade is vastly superior IMO, so there

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

the problem i'm finding is that not all of the stores carry the product.

I don't think you're going to find a store, other than D'Artagnan HQ, that always has the product.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Even with long shelf life, low volume specialty products can be hard to stock. Unless the supplier can do an overnight replacement 100% of the time -- which isn't likely to be the case with a supplier who delivers, say, once a week, and who may not be able to provide every product every week anyway -- you're going to see inventory gaps.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Even with long shelf life, low volume specialty products can be hard to stock. Unless the supplier can do an overnight replacement 100% of the time -- which isn't likely to be the case with a supplier who delivers, say, once a week, and who may not be able to provide every product every week anyway -- you're going to see inventory gaps.

your excuses are starting to wear on me. i want duck fucking confit and i want it when i need it. now do something about it.

Edited by tommy (log)

So just mail-order a bunch and stick it in the freezer. What's the big deal?

This is the "let's indulge Tommy" thread, right?

Whole Foods in Montclair usually has the d'Artagnan confit.

Also, I thought the whole point of confit is that it is a way to store meats for a long time (well, not the whole point, as it does taste good, as Tommy has pointed out). Shouldn't you be able to buy a bunch and just keep it in your refrigerator? Or does the American confit have a short shelf-life?

i've often bought many and froze them. however, freezer space is at a premium. if i did that with everything that i wanted to (frozen herbs, sauces, stocks, etc), i'd need another house.

Whole Foods in ridgewood has plenty of their products, including mountains of fresh and smoked duck breasts. they don't always have legs though. i can't help but think they don't order enough. i'm going to call them and tell them my name is Steven Shaw, and that i'm a very important food writer who wants confit legs. that should do the trick.

john, the legs last quite a while in the fridge, but they do crap out after a while. and, again, i don't have a lot of room to store stuff. that's why god invented all of these wonderful gourmet supermarkets. :smile:

Edited by tommy (log)

At Vinegar Factory, if you call the butcher a couple of days ahead of time, he can get any D'Artagnan product in stock assuming D'Artagnan has it on hand. Perhaps some of the other, more hands-on retailers (i.e., not the big supermarket chains) can do the same.

At Vinegar Factory, if you call the butcher a couple of days ahead of time, he can get any D'Artagnan product in stock assuming D'Artagnan has it on hand. Perhaps some of the other, more hands-on retailers (i.e., not the big supermarket chains) can do the same.

i do have a problem with planning ahead. and that's kinda why i started this thread (list) for myself. i contacted a local purveyor (Goffle Poultry in Ridgewood) of fresh poultry the other day and asked if he carried d'artagnan products. he said "i carry whatever you want." so, that option does indeed exist, and i may consider a little planning in the future.

i appreciate everyone's comments.

So the strategy is you come up with the name of every store near you that might have it, and when you want it you call down the list and find some stock? Okay, so you definitely want to generate the numbers of all the Whole Foods and all the A&P-subcategory stores near you that sometimes carry this stuff. You should probably also check with Wegmans (if you're near enough to one).

The Wegmans in Manalapan (south central NJ) always has D'Artagnan's confit in stock. Several packages, in fact. Unfortunately, I believe Tommy lives in northern NJ where there is no Wegmans. Sorry, Tommy! :sad:

Fat Guy has no idea about NJ geography, obviously. What tommy really wants is a list (with phone numbers provided for him, of course) of suppliers that carry D'A confit in Bergen County. However, tommy can go stuff himself in a convenient hole and everyone else may continue to suggest places more than an hour drive away. :raz: