• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland farmer's market

Bumping this back up...

I have a few hours the morning of August 12 to hit the Farmer's Market. Questions:

Sahagun--I read on their website that their store will be closed in August for a holiday. Will they be at the farmer's market at all? I know, I know...a holiday is a holiday, but hey, it's only one day a week!

Jim Dixon--his website says he should be at the market August 12, but I thought I read elsewhere that the market is limited to locally grown stuff. But Jim, if you're out there, you'll be there, right?

Low BBQ--are they still around? And how early do they open for ribs?

I've only been to the Market once before, many years ago, and I was in danger of going overboard with my purchases. But is there anything else I really need to try? Breads? Cheeses? We're leaving pdx on the 14th, so we can't buy too many perishables, but I'm bringing a portable cooler with me so hopefully I can bring back a little to nibble on during the drive back to Sacramento. If it lasts that long...

Sahagun--I read on their website that their store will be closed in August for a holiday.  Will they be at the farmer's market at all?  I know, I know...a holiday is a holiday, but hey, it's only one day a week!

After my experience trying to travel with fine Portland chocolates earlier this month - I understand why they might suspend operations for the month. Those chocolates melt under a stern gaze.

After my experience trying to travel with fine Portland chocolates earlier this month - I understand why they might suspend operations for the month. Those chocolates melt under a stern gaze.

I read your post about that, that's why I'm bringing a cooler! :laugh:

Rona,

I'll be there on the 12th. I'm usually next to Fred Carlo's sausage stand, so follow your nose to the prepared food aisle (it cuts across the market space near the top or south end).

PFM allows me to sell oil and salt once each month as a 'special vendor.' It's a category that provides shoppers access to foods that are complimentary to the regular market offerings but may not be strictly local.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I've only been to the Market once before, many years ago, and I was in danger of going overboard with my purchases.  But is there anything else I really need to try?  Breads?  Cheeses?  We're leaving pdx on the 14th, so we can't buy too many perishables, but I'm bringing a portable cooler with me so hopefully I can bring back a little to nibble on during the drive back to Sacramento.  If it lasts that long...

We just visited a couple of weeks ago, as Matthew wrote about on his blog, and had a wonderful time. Berries were delicious, and perhaps peaches will be there in August. Definitely plan to eat lunch there--I loved the tamales, and there were so many other good choices. Friends really enjoyed freshly prepared sodas in interesting flavors. There was also gelato and those great ice cream sandwiches. Ken's Artisan Bakery croissants and bread, and if you like blue cheese, get some of the Rogue Creamery Smokey Blue.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Rona,

Elizabeth isn't going to be making any chocolates in August but I'll talk to her about getting you something that will last in my fridge. She doesn't have a booth at the farmer's market any more, but she does have a lovely little shop open five days a week.

LOW BBQ as run by Rodney and Kyle doesn't exist anymore. Ken, of Ken's Place on Hawthorne bought the name and equipment and does BBQ on Monday nights at his restaurant. But I'll bet I can get your hands on some Rodney cooked 'que. I'll take it to PM.

At the market I like the sweets from Blue Gardenia (like the ho ho cake) and the bread and chocolate croissants from Ken's Artisan. I also like to get a brioche bun from Ken's and have it stuffed with gelati from Staccato for a hot weather Sicilian-inspired breakfast. The parnter isn't a sweets person and usually opts for Hot Lips pizza for breakfast. We both find Carlo's sausages kind of bland and dry. YMMV. Maybe we eat too many Otto's sausages. The lamb sticks from Sudan Farms are another tasty and portable nibble. I also like buying smoked salmon from the Native vendors.

The best berries are from Ayer's Creek Farm, but they don't sell at that market, just the Hillsdale one. I honestly don't know how the berries are going to survive this heat wave, most plants used to this climate can't grow at this temp., they just shut down. Hopefully there will be blackberries for you to snack on, I think peaches might be nearing an end, they came early this year, but that means figs might be in season when you get here.

regards,

trillium

Ooooohhhhh...I love bleu cheese! I'll search for the Rogue Creamery, and get some nice crusty bread from Ken's Artisan to go along with it. What a great breakfast that will be! And tamales! Some of those are definitely coming back with me. I haven't had a good tamale in 4 years!

Trillium--thanks for the Sahagun and BBQ insider possible hook-up! If it doesn't happen, I'll be OK, but if it does...words cannot express! Who says it doesn't pay to know people who know people?

And lamb sticks and the smoked salmon will go on the list, too, along with the salt and olive oil from Jim. So much to buy, so little time to eat! But I'm sure I'll manage... :biggrin: