• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmers Markets

First of all, what is it about California cats and fresh produce? Here's my dim boy being naughty as I was unloading my CSA box. (Contrary to what he says, he is not allowed up on any kitchen surface. You can tell from my avatar who is in control!)

i1970.jpg

Second of all, I FINALLY made it to the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market this past weekend. All eGulletBay Area visitors and residents, please take note: This is a must-see destination; it is not optional.

Besides some Japanese take-out (fried everything-scallops, crab, shrimp ball and potato croquette) and Hog Island Oysters at their sit-down restaurant with a drop-dead gorgeous view of the Bay, we bought:

Phipp's dried flageolet beans

dried cranberry and big white Italian beans (labeled "these are not lima beans")

lettuce (small heads of assorted leaf lettuce)

sheep's milk Feta

CowGirl Creamery Mt. Tam cheese

carrots

several kinds of new potatoes-fingerling, red, Yukon Gold

Brussels sprouts

butternut squash

some sort of not broccoli, not broccoli rabe thing

chard

There was lots, lots more we didn't buy, bread, chocolate, pastries, caviar, incredibly fresh fish and great olive oil among them. I like to go to the Sunday Oakland Jack Londen Square Market-the produce is comparable, I even saw many of the same vendors. But the stuff inside, oh my God, what a place...

Edited by marie-louise (log)

First of all, what is it about California cats and fresh produce? Here's my dim boy being naughty as I was unloading my CSA box. (Contrary to what he says, he is not allowed up on any kitchen surface. You can tell from my avatar who is in control!)

Hee! Basically the same thing happens to me every week; they love the basket, especially when it is filled with neat-smelling produce. And yes, to answer the question above, both cats came from Tri-Valley Animal Rescue, a group that fosters cats and dogs until they are ready to be fixed and adopted. If it's not raining, they have an adoption day at the Pleasanton market every Saturday.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

Organic cauliflower

Organic broccoli

Organic bermuda (red) onion

Organic beets

Organic navel oranges

(Turns out that everything this one farmer sells is organic. I feel like I hit the jackpot!)

baby bok choy

carrots

spring onions

Two pieces of spiced Linzer Tort, 1 piece of Orange Cake (with walnuts, I believe)and 1 piece of Persimmon Cake from the German woman who sells canned and baked goods.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

Sugar snap peas are in! Is this a sign of Spring?

Bought at the Farmer's Market this weekend:

Organic navel oranges

Sugar snap peas

A dozen "Farm Fresh" eggs

Locally harvested honey

Carrots

A bag of Apple Raisin Scones & 2 pieces of Linzer Tort :wub: from the German woman who sells baked and home-canned goods.

Tim Oliver

Asparagus has been very good to excellent lately, been eating that twice a week for a while. The first squash (basically all babies) is coming in, although I have to get there early for that. Strawberries are about halfway there. I am just about through with the winter veggies, to be frank.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

Of this I am jealous of you Californians  :angry:  :smile:

That's okay. When your Farmers Markets are eventually open, they will beat the crap out of my Farmers Market with one arm tied behind their back.

I'm just getting my licks in now. :laugh::wink:

edited for spelllling

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

That won't be until May 1. Until then I will have to live vicariously or through mail order.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

At Austin Farmer's Market at Republic Square:

Oh, that just rocks! I am sooo jealous that I now have Farmers' Market envy. :wink:

What a great idea to have area chefs come and prepare dishes! Now if only my local Farmers' Market could get their sh*t together like Austin's.

Tim Oliver

I haven't been back to my hometown lately, but usually my mom gets me a care package of cheddar cheese, tomatos, yogurt, cottage cheese, and sour cream from the local farmer's market. Most are Amish produced, rich and fresh and hell.

"yes i'm all lit up again"

SF Ferry Market this morning:

Asparagus

Leeks

Broccoli Rabe

Meyer Lemons

Baby Artichokes

Orange, Red, and White Carrots

Medjule Dates

Dried Figs, Apples, and Apricots

Horseradish

Borough Market - London

Large meaty field mushrooms

Herbs (Parsley, Basil, Rosemary, Thyme)

Artichokes

Parsnips

Dry cured bacon

Fresh butter

Lots of raspberries

Italian roma tomatoes

Rocket

Garlic

Shallots

Tomato Chiabatta

and Sticky Toffee Pudding ..yum!

-Jim

Purchased this last Saturday:

Yellow Carrots (which turned out to be sweet and tasty)

Sugar Snap Peas

One large jar of locally harvested Orange Blossom honey

Strawberries

A bunch of Baby Bok Choy

Two pieces of Linzer Torte, one piece of Carrot Cake and a fresh peach Danish that was to die for, all from the German woman who sells baked & home-canned goods.

Tim Oliver

This Saturday:

There's a Mediterranean import store on the market grounds - got some Stappj Bitter non-alcoholic Apertif and some Spanish EVOO (a variety labeled "Intense"). I want the oil for dipping but still have not found a cheap one that is fruity enough - will keep looking.

Then I went into Buda's produce market - another place on the grounds. They had good looking strawberries for $1 a package but I wandered through their weird odds 'n ends section instead. Lots of liquidation items and one of a kind overstocks. They have a big selection of oddball Passover stuff, mostly shortdated (in an Italian produce market no less!). I got some whole allspice berries, cracker crumbs for frying and also some small bags of Poore Brothers Salt and Cracked Black Pepper potato chips. I have a wicked crush on a fellow eGulleteer (not unrequited by the way) - she has a weakeness for good chips - I'll be mailing these off to her to rack up some points and increase her incentive to visit me here in the hinterland (she will remain known only as Mystery Woman but I'm certain that none of you reading this would even recognize her user name).

Buda's also had cryovac beef tenderloin for $2.99 per pound. I almost never buy beef of any kind - that sounds like a good price to me - may go back and get some.

Maple sugar candy (couldn't help myself - this stuff is so good)

Sweet red pepper

Cucumber

Garlic

A donut straight from the fryer - ate it on the spot - that was my breakfast

Spices from the old guy who buys in bulk and repacks in small plastic containers

Haddock and Salmon fillet from the fish vendor

The fish was only $5 per pound and he threw in some free mussels. Only four of the twelve mussels were still closed tight so I tossed the open ones and used the good ones in a bouillabaise. Here's a fish he had that was wild looking (at least to me, who rarely ventures into fish markets). They have a great selection of frech fish at really cheap prices - yellowtail snapper, mullet, haddock, salmon, ocean perch, carp....

i5050.jpg

plus this scary looking giant fish - what the heck is this thing?

i5051.jpg

It's a sole, Owen. The skin peels off. You make a slit at the tail and peel the skin off in one piece, on either side. It's heavenly. This kind of fish is often served to children to get them used to eating off the fish, because the bone structure is flat and easy to eat from without getting any stray bones. The bones of this fish are perfect for a delicate and flavorful fumet. I recommend it highly.

-Lucy

edited to say that this kind of fish is expensive

Edited by bleudauvergne (log)

Smoked magret de canard with foie gras in the middle

i5059.jpg

i5060.jpg

Bleudauvergne;

I am almost in tears (of envy) looking at the smoked magret stuffed with foie gras. How incredible beautiful. Count yourself lucky (I'm sure you do).

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Lucy, that hurts! :wub: That looks incredibly awesome. I am, I think, justifiably proud of my area's farmer's markets, but that is simply incredible.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

It's a sole, Owen. ..... The bones of this fish are perfect for a delicate and flavorful fumet. I recommend it highly.

-Lucy

edited to say that this kind of fish is expensive

I take it all back - it's a beautiful fish. I should have inquired as to the price - this vendor tends to be cheaper than the fish markets and the grocery store on most items.

One nice thing about whole fish at a market is one can get a better idea of its freshness compared to fillets.

Twitter - @docsconz

Sonoma's Tuesday nite market opens for the season tomorrow. I suppose I'll be at the picnic table opposite the Swiss Hotel were a rather eclectic group gathers with various foodstuffs and wine. Do drop by if you happen to be in town.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321