• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's for breakfast?

sparrowgrass

I must be living a different life than everyone else. Breakfast is a non-event for me. I'm up at 5:15 - out of the house by 6:10. At my desk by 7:40. All I can think of at that point is coffee. We have a Filter Fresh Machine in our kitchen, and it makes pretty decent coffee. Two cups later (at about 8:30) I pumped and ready to torture my staff. I'm Head of Compliance at an Investment Advisory Firm - I make grown men cry.

Maybe a banana before lunch. Depends on how much shit went down the day before. :rolleyes:

Just returned home and received notice of this topic, which I indeed encouraged sparrow to start. Thanks, sparrow!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Let's see, this morning, only time for a mini-breakfast before leaving the house:

Fresh Moro blood orange juice, a container of Total yogurt mixed with rosemary honey, two pieces Acme Bakery ciabatta toast with unsalted butter and fig preserves. Oh, and two cups of Russian Caravan tea.

Double Cappuccino (Espresso Vivace Vita Roast, ristretto pull)

Three eggs, scrambled with chives and cream cheese

Two slices applewood smoked bacon

Two large glasses water

One small fresh peach

Handful of pistachio nuts

Handful of red seedless grapes

fanatic...

Frosted flakes with lowfat lactose-free milk

Iced coffee

Later, a chunk of sample rotisserie chicken from Costco. Lunch was a Costco hot dog. :laugh:

Frosted flakes with lowfat lactose-free milk

Iced coffee

Later, a chunk of sample rotisserie chicken from Costco. Lunch was a Costco hot dog.  :laugh:

those costco dogs arent bad especially since theyre 1.50 with a drink. are they hebrew nat'l?

(sorry to sort-of hijack)

I have been starting my day with olives stuffed with bleu cheese or jalapenos, prosciutto, ice cream, frozen hot chocolate, lots of hard cheeses, salsas, bbq pork, jerk chicken, bubble tea, ostrich, ginger preserves, duck, fruit smoothis, chocolate truffles, watermellon soda, pasta with vodka sauce, fondue, fried cheese, caramel/toffee/chocolate/white chocolate/cheddar popcorn, potato chips of various sorts, southern pralines, meatballs, caramel topping, Devon cream, truffle cheese, and peach juice.

Light lunch.

This morning's meal was a delight, truly.

Olallieberry-and-peach smoothies

Eggs scrambled with beet greens and black pepper bacon, topped with homemade creme fraiche

Strawberry Streusel muffins

Yogurt Buttermilk White Cornmeal Cornbread with buckwheat honey

Coffee for Soc., Scottish Breakfast tea for me

Fancy breakfasts are for special occasions only. Just now I had:

Plums. Three of them them. Three different kinds of plums! (It's plum season now, why not go nuts?)

Stong iced coffee with milk.

Later, I might have a small bowl of brown rice flakes with raisins, sliced almonds and skim milk. And more plums.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

those costco dogs arent bad especially since theyre 1.50 with a drink.  are they hebrew nat'l?

(sorry to sort-of hijack)

Oh hell yes, I always get one. And they are Hebrew Natl, the sort I grew up eating. Wotta bargain. Have you read the Costco thread?

Today, I had blueberry pancakes with farm market bluebs for breakfast, with coffee and vegetarian soy sausage.

Yesterday was more remarkable, brunch for 7: a crepe feast. Fillings:

scrambled eggs

sauteed spinach

sauteed mushrooms

farm market blueberries, raspberries and blackberries

sauteed apples

homemade gravlox, red onions, capers

sour cream

whipped cream

pear preserve, bitter orange marmalade, thick Italian raspberry jam

and sugar for sprinkling

Plus a salad with mesclun mix, butter lettuce and cukes and shaved red onions in a lemony vinaigrette, cran-raspberry juice, and coffee. Mmmm.

We ripped through the 50 or so crepes I'd cooked in record time.

Nature's Path Organic Optimum Power Breakfast. If I'd read the label before, I never would have bought it. It's cereal, for God's sake. Which I don't actually like but this looked very healthy and it has blueberries and they're supposed to make you smart. Plus it has 40% of your daily fiber and I'm supposed to focus on that. Also 8g of protein (soy) and lots of trendy things with sci-fi names like bioflavonoid. What the heck is a lignan?

They also tell you on the side that the good thing about Certified Organic Goodness (their redundancy) is 'No sewage sludge on fields.' Mmm.

Yesterday morning I had bacon and eggs on a wood fired stove! It was totally sweet. It took about ten minutes for the fire to get going but once it did, heat control was pretty easy. Let me just say, I love to cook on a wood fired stove. Everyone should try it at least once. It makes me want to go out and buy a cabin in the woods just so I can cook on a wood fired stove.

We toasted the bagels right on top of the surface as well as percolating some coffee:

fbbc9b0f.jpg

Toasted sesame seed bagel with cream cheese.

Now, on breakfast number two: honey-nut cheerios.

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Between 35 and 40 percent of Americans skip breakfast most days.

Those are definitely not the pregnant Americans. I wake up because I'm hungry. I eat breakfast. An hour or two later, I eat breakfast again (after waking up from my mid-morning nap). I haven't been working for the last couple of weeks; next week I'll be in school, and I know I'll be packing a lot of snacks.

Chocolate milk and bacon potato chips. .

Now that's a pregnant lady breakfast! If I hadn't met you, klink, I'd be wondering about you right now.

On Sunday we had yeasted waffles with syrup/sauce I made from fresh red currants we bought at the farmers market. Delicious. I wasn't quite sure what to do with the currants, but they're certainly pretty. This morning I had Cinnamon Life cereal with fresh blueberries and milk, a felicitous combination.

Edited by LaurieA-B (log)
Hungry Monkey May 2009

I had a bowl of the new Berry Burst Cheerios (I think that's what they're called), the one with strawberries only, and I was disappointed that the cheerios were sweetened, like honey nut cheerios. I was expecting plain cheerios. Guess I'll have to break down and buy plain cheerios and add my own strawberries. :biggrin: