• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's for breakfast?

sparrowgrass

Cut myself a piece of cheddar (Cabot "Private Stock") and anticipated pairing it with hard pretzels. Turned out all the pretzels, as well as every other bread product, had been consumed, probably by me. So I just ate the cheese, with a glass of lemonade.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Two "slices" of crumbly 12 year old cheddar with Iranian lemon and salt coated toasted almonds. Assam tea with milk.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Two "slices" of crumbly 12 year old cheddar with Iranian lemon and salt coated toasted almonds. Assam tea with milk.

What's "Iranian lemon" ?

Iranian lemon and salt coated toasted almonds.

Iranian lemon-and-salt-coated-toasted almonds

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

TWELVE year old cheddar? I didn't know they got that old. What do they taste like?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

A banana. One lonely, slightly under ripe banana.

Everyone else ate bagels and cream cheese and watermelon. By t he time I finished scrambling their eggs, they had eaten all the watermelon, the little vultures. So it was just me, and the Banana. Then a 45 minute treadmill workout and a lot of water.

Lunch? A little Port Salut, a green salad and a leftover barbequed chicken thigh.

Fresh orange juice, two fried eggs with pancetta, a salad with roasted courgette and brinjals with tomato sauce, roasted tomato slices with mozarella, two slices of toast with jam and a double espresso.

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

Today: the Brown, also known as coffee.

Yesterday, for myself, and my Ex: 9 eggs, scrambled, with onion, tomato, poblanos, garlic, cheese--you know the drill.

Hot tortillas.

English muffins with my aunt's fantastic (fantastic) grape jam.

Mimosas. Strawberries.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I've been in a rut ever since discovering the Normandy apple bread from Ken's Artisan Bakery. It's made with a mix of rye and organic whole wheat flours and isn't really sweet, but has a few slices of apple scattered through. He only makes it on Saturday, so I either have to get a loaf at the farmers market or drive over the to bakery. If I forget I'm bummed all week.

The standard weekday breakfast is an espresso with 2 slices and butter (plugra or, lately, Raven's creamery classique). If I've got some nice mild cheese, like the Willamette Valley gouda, that is an option. Last week I finished off the last of my Meyer lemon marmalade by spooning it over the bread spread with Oregon Gourmet Cheese's fromage blanc.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Bowl of various whole grain cereals = to about 6 cups, dry. Top with (in winter) 1 banana and 1 pear (anjou or bartlett), or in summer (1 banana, 1 pear, handful of strawberries, 1 peach and maybe other summer fruit). Fill bowl with skim milk until cereal is covered. Breakfast of champoins! :biggrin:

Bowl of various whole grain cereals = to about 6 cups, dry.  Top with (in winter) 1 banana and 1 pear (anjou or bartlett), or in summer (1 banana, 1 pear, handful of strawberries, 1 peach and maybe other summer fruit).  Fill bowl with skim milk until cereal is covered.  Breakfast of champoins! :biggrin:

You eat 6 cups of cereal for breakfast?? I am trying to picture how big a bowl must be needed for such a feat!

eating it right now!

Earl grey tea and orange juice and honey, iced (from the iced tea thread)

french baguettes smeared with nutella

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

about a cup of cottage cheese (this and unflavored plain Dannon yogurt is how I usually get my calcium. If I have yogurt for breakfast, about 1 to 2 containers. I thoroughly despise sweetened yogurt.)

a hardboiled egg

water

a couple of bananas.

I tried drinking milk a couple of days ago and paid for it with the usual gastric distress. EJRothman is damn lucky. I'm jealous. :angry:

Soba

One hard boiled egg. One small handful of Froot Loops with Marshmallows. Finally, a nasty pre-sweetened cereal where the cereal gets eaten as quickly as the marshmallows. Mrs. Varmint bought it by the way. They were out of muesli, I guess. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites