• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I want my FoodTV!

Really Nice!

I know I have many posts here complaining about the Food Network. So be it. It is still the channel I watch more than any other.

I turn on FoodTV (Channel 35 on the eastside of Seattle) at 7 A.M. and I have a half-hour infomercial for GM trucks. At 7:30 I'm now watching some guy putting 20 lbs of fat on a table in some CNN-like weightloss infomercial. Pentabosol??? Where's Sara Moulton?

All the cable guides make no indication that the programming channels have changed. I suspect Comcast has done something, but with all the changes going on at FoodTV it could also be a shift in programming. It doesn't look like any other channels have shifted.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

"I'm now watching some guy putting 20 lbs of fat on a table"

If he was saying "bam" a lot that was Emeril.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

I turn on FoodTV (Channel 35 on the eastside of Seattle) at 7 A.M. and I have a half-hour infomercial for GM trucks. At 7:30 I'm now watching some guy putting 20 lbs of fat on a table in some CNN-like weightloss infomercial. Pentabosol??? 

Anyone else experiencing this?

sounds like youre still getting ftv.

sara moulton is with the two hot tamales in the faroe islands shearing sheep.

Our f[r]iends at Comcast in Chicago air infomercials from 4 am til 8:30 am on FTV.

AT&T did the same before them.

Might be the network's free time (going out for drinks and smokes). :unsure::smile:

to go back to what EJ said, and to what i think Rail Paul may have mentioned elsewhere, they're not at 24-7 network.  are cable companies cutting it back even more?

I realize they're not 24-7. In the past (at least locally) they were FoodTV from 6:30AM to 3AM PST.

When I got home tonight it was back on. It looks like they're matching my area with what they're doing everywhere else in the country.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

to go back to what EJ said, and to what i think Rail Paul may have mentioned elsewhere, they're not at 24-7 network.  are cable companies cutting it back even more?

I realize they're not 24-7. In the past (at least locally) they were FoodTV from 6:30AM to 3AM PST.

When I got home tonight it was back on. It looks like they're matching my area with what they're doing everywhere else in the country.

good. sounds like they were just fuckin' wit ya. :wink:

Yes, they're now putting up a West Coast broadcast, to synch with the East Coast.

I didn't see or hear any announcements on air about the switch. However, at their website they made the announcement about the time shift several weeks ago. I suggest going to the foodtv.com and printing a copy of the weekly schedule.

Personally, if I'm on vampire hours and awake through the night, this makes for a change for the better. Late night viewing can be a wretched experience, and this will be an improvement, regardless of what some people think of the network these days. (How soon they forget Debbie Fields literally clawing through that cookie dough! Or Alan and Nina noshing on restaurant food that had been Fed-Exed to them. Novel idea, reviewing the doggie bags! Or an entire series about baking your own doggie biscuits, YUM!)

I'm just suprised no one else bothered to check the website to find out what was going on. No, I'm kidding, I'm not suprised at all.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Personally, if I'm on vampire hours and awake through the night, this makes for a change for the better.

I'm just suprised no one else bothered to check the website to find out what was going on.  No, I'm kidding, I'm not suprised at all.

Yeah, they're on until 5AM now. I'm usually up around 4 and watching those GGW videos gets tiresome. :laugh:

Honestly, I did check their Web site before posting. I didn't want to put my neck out on the virtual guillotine and get slammed with words kindly asking me to read the Web site every now and again. :smile:

Drink!

You know, I wouldn't mind if Food TV was a 24-7 network. I'd know we'd all be happy. Besides, other stations these days are 24-7 networks, so right off the bat we know that some stations are thinking ahead. :wink: So I think that Food TV should think ahead and (if they're smart enough) make that station a 24-7 station.

I think silver suits me so...

...but red is also for me!

Iron Chef Morimoto all the way!

From me, a fan of Iron Chef.

You know, I wouldn't mind if Food TV was a 24-7 network. I'd know we'd all be happy. Besides, other stations these days are 24-7 networks, so right off the bat we know that some stations are thinking ahead. :wink: So I think that Food TV should think ahead and (if they're smart enough) make that station a 24-7 station.

i'm sure they'd like to do that. however, that would mean even more reruns, as well as a lot more sales of advertising, which isn't always the easiest thing to make happen.

i'm sure they'd like to do that. however, that would mean even more reruns, as well as a lot more sales of advertising, which isn't always the easiest thing to make happen.

Why not just turn it into All-Emeril tv? :blink:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

i'm sure they'd like to do that.  however, that would mean even more reruns, as well as a lot more sales of advertising, which isn't always the easiest thing to make happen.

True. My girlfriend's cousin works for Carlton Sheets. He's got an infomercial advertising buying real estate with no money down. The national cable channels charge $30,000 for each half hour infomercial between the local hours of midnight and 6AM. Can FoodTV, or any cable channel, take in $30,000 in advertising in this time slot?

I don't know. What's a 30-second commercial going to fetch at that time for a 'typical' cable channel?

Drink!

Why not just turn it into All-Emeril tv? :blink:

because some people think emeril's overexposure is diluting the network enough as it is. i bet some of the network execs feel the same way. but you knew that already. :wink:

You DO know bloviatrix was being facetious, right?

• 3 weeks later...

They get back to the FN programming at 9 AM, I watch Ming Tsai as I get ready for work.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

They get back to the FN programming at 9 AM, I watch Ming Tsai as I get ready for work.

I can't believe they let the infomercials go so late! Until recently, Ming was on at 6:30 AM. By 9 AM, I've been at work for over an hour, so I guess my early morning fix of FTV is over.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.