• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A fruit by any other name

Apologies if this has already been covered(relative newbie) :blink: in another thread.I have noticed in UK supermarkets ,the sale of Kaki from Brazil,Persimmon from who knows where and Sharron Fruit from Israel-are they one of the same what is the best season and what can be done with them ?

I am not a fruit expert, but I believe that "kaki" is simply another name for persimmon. There are two main types of persimmon, at least among those found in the U.S. -- a Fuyu and a Hachiya. The California Rare Fruit Growers association has a website that you might find useful. The page about persimmons can be found at:

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/persimmon.html

Regarding Sharon fruit, this is what fruit expert David Karp notes:

"Triumph (Sharon Fruit). Pollination-constant, astringent. Medium; flat; skin orange red; flesh deep orange. Grown in Israel, imported to much of the U. S.; looks and tastes like a Fuyu but is treated with carbon dioxide to remove astringency. Late season." -- Los Angeles Times, November 8, 2000--"Know Your Persimmons"

(Excellent article on persimmons, by the way. Karp writes frequently about various fruit for the Los Angeles Times; if you're really interested, you can retrieve his articles on persimmons through the Times' archive...)

Thanks Aquitaine and Jon- great feed back and the kind of depth only egullet can muster :biggrin: I have been eating the fruit like an apple,skin and all so have not needed Jon's spoon method as yet.

In Japan (in the countryside around my wife's home town, anyway) it's quite common to dry kaki by hanging them on strings outside your house. The result is (predictably) a kind of chewy crystallised fruit, dark brown in colour, that my parents-in-law often send to us and I like.

I never reall thought about it before but I don't think I have ever eaten the skin except on the dried ones (hoshi-kaki), and those dried ones are really wonderful! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"