• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking tiles

For bread and pizza baking: Measure the floor of your oven, go to your local purveyor of building stone and buy a 1" thick piece of soapstone that is sized to leave a ~1" - .5" gap all the way around on your oven floor. This will provide much better results than a pizza stone -- especially dramatic oven spring.

--

The slashes sound fine. If you get enough oven spring they should open and grin.

I assume the oven is hot enough - 440F/220C or more, and has been on long enough to heat the pizza stone and stabilise. The technique water sound just fine - that is similar to what I do.

Maybe the dough is a bit dry and stiff?

Why do you say they are not right?

dough definitely not too dry (75%+), nor oven or stone too cold. perhaps overproofed dough. but i've got this dilemma: either they're quite "tall", but with poor texture - or i let them proof a little more, and get a flatter loaf but better texture. i thought maybe a better oven spring might remedy that.

slkinsey's advice sounds good. the more heat retention, the better.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

Over-prooving will reduce the oven spring a lot.

I assume the dough is supported during proof by a banneton or equivalent.

I find it much easier if I retard the dough overnight in the fridge and bake from cold. The dough is stiffer when cold and doesn't slump as much.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

no banneton. should there be?

bake from cold? i might try with one loaf, but in general it's not practical for me as i make 4-8 loaves every time i bake, once a week.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.