• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Trash Delicacies

col klink

I think there's a difference between something you buy pre-made (such as Chef Boyardee) and something you take the time to *make* that comes out being poor quality. I think if you're going to take the time to make something, it better be good...but I guess it depends what you think is a bigger waste: time or money.

I remember past family reunions having great food.  I'm not sure why this was an off year.

Actually, people who consistently serve good food get bored with the routine nature of that task and decide to get "creative". The people who you're talking about have no access to the sorts of resources that might drive them to emulate Ferran Adria. So for them creativity can mean a variety of things, from fat-free cooking, to processed ingredients, to untested newspaper and manufacturer's recipes.

None of these things are an improvement over home cooking.