• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Trash Delicacies

col klink

Luckily the party has been postponed and I'll still able to make it. Which means I have more time to decide!

I'm still doing rummie watermelon, replacing the vodka with the light rum. How does everyone else do it? Hmm, maybe I should split this off in a separate thread.

As for the other dish, I think I'm just going to pick some special ingredients and come up with something on my own, maybe a fondue of sorts definitely involving Velveeta and some sort of highly processed meat. Maybe little smokies swimming in cheese? Possibly adding some deviled ham and possibly corn for texture. Next to figure out what to dip in it. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately my dish had to change at the last moment and I brought a crock pot with hashbrowns, two cans of Olympia beer (reduced), a 2lb brick of Velveeta and a can of hickory smoked flavored Spam. Unfortunately it didn't win. This is what did win though:

fb7ecc87.jpg

fb7ecbab.jpg

fb7ee76f.jpg

Yup, deep fried twinkies -- they were really freakin' good.

We also deep fried this:

fb7ee6c6.jpg

and it came out like this:

fb7ee622.jpg

Mmmmm, Vienna sausages . . .

This was the baking sheet of li'll smokies at the end of the night:

fb7e4690.jpg

Each smokies was wrapped in a slice of highly processed American cheese, dressed with bottled BBQ and then set in the oven until it turned to heaven. :wub:

Oh yeah, here was the winner of the best costume award:

fb7e430b.jpg

Unfortunately it's difficult to make out his PBR belt buckle and his cut-off-almost-Daisy-Dukes jeans. Damn, I need one of those belt buckles.

My wife made a lime jello/cool whip pie in a pre-made crust with chopped marachino cherries and cool whip on top:

fb7ad092.jpg

I suppose your's is equally white trash, although you might want to gussie it up a little bit with some cool whip. :wink:

Does anyone else think the best costume winner looks sort of like Tim Curry? Am I totally crazy? :blink:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

no, no....this is my favorite:;

Lil' Smokies (cocktail-sized smoked sausages) cooked in a crockpot in a mixture of grape jelly and chili sauce for 6 to 8 hours.

If you want to get gourmet-crazy, you use blackberry jam with seeds instead of grape jelly.

I learned this recipe as mustard and currant jelly!

i'm thrilled ot see this white trash cookign thread. the one on my home forum got torn to shreads by someone who trying to be politically correct and went horribly off-topic.

Most of the items mentioned in this entire thread have been brought to an office potluck at one time or another and I have shamefully eaten and enjoyed some of them, even going back for seconds or thirds. My favourites are hash brown casserole, beans and cornbread, rotelle (velveeta cheese dip), graham crackers layered with sweet white stuff (condensed milk and cool whip?), broccoli salad and lil smokies or meatballs in goopy sauce. I have very poor resistance to free food at the office.

That's no costume around here.  Be sure to dress appropriately for the pig pickin'!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That's no costume around here.  Be sure to dress appropriately for the pig pickin'!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Varmint, the girls worked that out on page 5 or so. Daisy Duke cutoffs and halter tops for the women. :cool:

I may have to read through this thread again and pick out something to bring to your shindig. I could do the cocktail weinies in chili sauce - just plug the crockpot into the cigarette lighter on the drive down. :raz:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Does anyone else think the best costume winner looks sort of like Tim Curry?  Am I totally crazy? :blink:

No, he does!

Klink, who is that guy? He's cute.

Noise is music. All else is food.

My grandma makes a lime jello salad with fruit flavoured mini marshmallows, pistachios, apples, maraschino cherries and cool whip. It MUST be molded in a Pyrex dish the shape of an apple or it's not authentic. The only ones in my family who can eat this are my mom and her brothers, b/c they grew up with it.

Or try Wacky Cake, that Depression-Era recipe with vinegar baking soda and margarine.

• 2 weeks later...
Klink, who is that guy?  He's cute.

That wasn't me in the photo (I wish it was though :wub: ). Here's all three winners. That's me on the left (Best Beer - Schmidt's), Elf is in the middle (Best Vittles - Deep Fried Twinkies) and of course Humpy on the right (short for Humphries) --

fb7ed272.jpg

Here we are making ingravings for the trophies -

fb7ed41d.jpg

My Daughter, was invited to a similar type party, she won first Prize for gross food, that tasted good. It took her only a few minutes to prepare. One tray of "Stouffers Frozen Lasagna", Thawed and abused, with simulated tire marks, across surface. Next artistically topped with blended to Smoosh out "Canned Black Bean Chilli", presented to party Goers as, "FRESH ROAD KILL". she's always had a creative touch for gookieness. It was the only dish, eaten and Enjoyed?

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I won a costume contest a few years ago with this costume:

barbie.jpg

Some of the lettering you can't read says "pack of Kool 100s free!" and "Warn'n: Chokin' Hazurd. Not for young'ns under 3 years"

The brooch is a picture of Ken surrounded by the words "That's my baby's Daddy"

/threadjack

we now return you to your regularly scheduled on-topic conversation. Apologies :cool:

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

I'm a little late, but I'll throw this out anyway, because it's white trash because of method more so than ingredients. And can be very good.

Supplies:

Galvanized trash can.

Threaded metal rod.

Crossbar for rod.

Pig (if you can't go hunting, ask the principal for the one he's had lying around in his freezer since a few seasons back. Make sure you warn people that there may still be buckshot in it.)

Chicken.

Salt, pepper, etc.

Build a large fire - looking for flame more so than heat. Toss the trash can in. This is to "burn off the galvanized." Once the trash can's clean, stick the rod in the ground, you want probably a good 6-12 inches submerged, and 12-18 above ground. I guess. The crossbar should be ~4 inches above the ground.

My memory is hazy as to the exact order, but essentially you want to end up with the pig or chicken seasoned and attached to the rod. Tie the chicken up and stick it on the rod. When you do the pig, you may want to use chicken wire to wrap it up and make sure it stays in place on the rod.

The trash can of course goes over the rod and the beast (with the rod going through the middle cavities, and the crossbar keeping it off the ground. The heat comes from coals piled on the ground around the trash can, and on top of the can (what would normally be the bottom.)

I think chicken took an hour or less, pig was 1.5-2 hours maybe? It cooked very quickly. I can get more specifics if anyone's interested.

All true, of course. Right down to the principal's pig.

Cheers,

Sean.

I just had to come home from my family reunion Saturday and post in this thread, late or not. Maybe I'm just out of the loop but I ate some things I hope to never encounter again...Here are examples of the weirdest things.

Croutons--big ones--in a creamy cheesy white sauce that had lobster in it. I can't say it was really white trash because of the lobster, but if there weren't lobster in it...

Cubed potatoes--about a 1/4 inch cubed and so perfectly shaped I suspect they were store bought--also in a creamy cheesy white sauce. Ok...potatoes au gratin...kind of. But not good.

A dip that was SO garlicky...I love garlic and so does my whole family (apparently) but this was over the top.

I remember past family reunions having great food. I'm not sure why this was an off year. On the other hand, I usually pig out so much it was kind of a good thing the food sucked.