• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Trash Delicacies

col klink

Well, Jeez, anything with Velveeta would work. Hmmmmm, flavors o' my youth . . .

• Moon pies & RC cola
  • "Congealed salad" with Jello & Cool Whip (preferably with pineapple chunks or cherries)
  • L'il Smokies sausages
  • Any casserole with Ritz crackers as a topping
  • Fried catfish

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Trailer Trash Cassoulet

Beenie Weenie Casserole with a Fried chicken leg on top. Canned baked beans, sliced hot dogs and KFC! Doesn't get any trashier (or easier) than that! :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

mmmmm, white trash food. I attended one of these a few years ago, we all drank Old Style, ate chips and french onion dip, tomato "pudding" casserole with saltine cracker topping, mac n' cheese, etc.... but my personal favorite was the hash brown casserole. It has those frozen cubes of potato that people use to make hash browns, tons and tons of cheddar cheese, tons of sour cream, and of course potato chip topping. It's very.... yellow.

Have fun. :smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

I have a congealed salad recipe that involves Jello, Cool Whip, 7-Up, AND Twinkies. Also one with maraschino cherries and Coke. Oh and one with big chunks of several types of Jello all surrounded by Cool Whip and you slice it and it looks like a stained glass window.

What about those white paper-wrapped cans of deviled ham? On Wonder bread with Miracle Whip.

Should definitely fit Cheez Whiz in there somewhere.

I have a congealed salad recipe that involves Jello, Cool Whip, 7-Up, AND Twinkies.

Wow. Just top with Miracle Whip and you'd have all the major food groups.

:laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Hmm. There's also Eight Can Casserole. Fine line sometimes between 50s LITB food and white trash food. Oddly.

Flaming Cabbage Head Weanies with Pu Pu Sauce! That's got to be a band somewhere.

Okay, you're sure this isn't a copyright issue?

Two 3-oz packages orange Jell-O

1 cup boiling water

1/2 cup pineapple juice

1 quart vanilla ice cream (sorry, not Cool Whip)

7 oz 7-Up

8 Twinkies

Dissolve Jell-O in water. Add with everything but Twinkies to blender and mix until ice cream is dissolved. Pour into deep 9" sq pan. Chill until partially set. Arrange Twinkies flat side down in pan, push in. They should bob back up but only partially. Chill until firm.

Edited by KNorthrup (log)

No offense if anyone knows or is related to these folks, but browse these for some appropriate dessert suggestions.

random geocities recipe page

sample

The following is called "MAGGIE'S PINK STUFF" at this house in honor of my friend Maggie VBG

One container of small curd creamy cottage 'we use fat free

One container of cool whip 'we use fat free

One package of peach jello 'we use sugar free

One package of frozen peaches 'may use fresh peaches

***ALL CONTAINERS SHOULD BE as EQUAL IN SIZE as possible

MIX cool whip and cottage cheese ADD peaches STIR TOGETHER UNTIL WELL MIXED SPRINKLE DRY jello over top and STIR unitl well mixed

This is a wonderful light desert for the summer And it is equally good if using regular or the diet products

Submitted by CM in Follansbee, WV

No offense if anyone knows or is related to these folks, but browse these for some appropriate dessert suggestions.

random geocities recipe page

sample

The following is called "MAGGIE'S PINK STUFF" at this house in honor of my friend Maggie VBG

One container of small curd creamy cottage 'we use fat free

One container of cool whip 'we use fat free

One package of peach jello 'we use sugar free

One package of frozen peaches 'may use fresh peaches

***ALL CONTAINERS SHOULD BE as EQUAL IN SIZE as possible

MIX cool whip and cottage cheese ADD peaches STIR TOGETHER UNTIL WELL MIXED SPRINKLE DRY jello over top and STIR unitl well mixed

This is a wonderful light desert for the summer And it is equally good if using regular or the diet products

Submitted by CM in Follansbee, WV

never trust anyone who gives you recipes for "deserts".

never trust anyone who gives you recipes for "deserts".

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Damn! Fritz beat me to the white trash potato recipe!

They're great. I think they also have a can of cream of chicken soup in there.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Or, for that matter, any congealed salad.

Uh, Jaymes?

/raises hand

Is that what those jello salads are called?

Okay, folks. How many people have actually prepared or eaten the things they've posted about here?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

We once brought a "White Trash Cheese Plate" to a party with a similar theme. Everyone loved it, and to our horror, it was the first thing to go at the party.

The usual suspects go on a plastic tray, string cheese, cheddar cheese with speckles of stuff inside, Velveta, Ritz crackers, Kraft Singles, etc, and the pièce de resistance was the giant nut-covered cheese ball, oozing liquid of unknow origin, which was figured prominently in the center of the plate. Decorate the plate with that green plastic looking lettuce or something that you will find at-say-Marie Calanders, and there you have it!

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Or, for that matter, any congealed salad.

Uh, Jaymes?

/raises hand

Is that what those jello salads are called?

Well, yeah.

Although, to be fair, anything "congealed" that passes as salad counts in this category.

Like tomato aspic - which is considerably classier.

Although I do have a darn tasty recipe for tomato aspic that calls for lemon Jello.

:biggrin:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

As a Texas-born girl, I would say anything with Bisquick applies...

Also, there is a white trash delicacy called "frito pie," which consists of a bag of fritos, a can of Hormel chili, and half a block of Velveeta cheese. Pop this lovely mixture in the microwave for a minute and you're ready to go to a rodeo or something after dinner...

Kelli

Edemuth and I once made a "comfort food reinterpreted" dinner party for friends. I don't remember everything on the menu but I am sure we documented it here on eGullet. Wait, here's the thread: click.

IIRC, when we came up with the idea we were alternately calling it "comfort food" and "white trash food." But then I think we veered towards calling it "comfort food" so as to not scare our guests.

Okay, folks. How many people have actually prepared or eaten the things they've posted about here?

My family of five shared one Cowboy Sandwich (being, in this case, the bottom half of the hamburger bun with the spam/velveeta mixture spread on top), and there were leftovers. Peter and Heidi were young enough that they could go "gaak" and spit (hork) the stuff out on the floor and it didn't seem too uncouth. Diana, Paul and I quietly swallowed (gagged) and then brushed our teeth.

Onto the congealed salad topic, somewhere in this place, I have a circa 1963 Jello grocery store pamphlet-style cookbook. I recall seeing recipes that called for celery jello. Celery Jello?????

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Also, there is a white trash delicacy called "frito pie," which consists of a bag of fritos, a can of Hormel chili, and half a block of Velveeta cheese.  Pop this lovely mixture in the microwave for a minute and you're ready to go to a rodeo or something after dinner...

I hear they served this before filming the campfire scene in "Blazing Saddles."

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

As a Texas-born girl, I would say anything with Bisquick applies...

Also, there is a white trash delicacy called "frito pie," which consists of a bag of fritos, a can of Hormel chili, and half a block of Velveeta cheese.  Pop this lovely mixture in the microwave for a minute and you're ready to go to a rodeo or something after dinner...

Perfect idea!

The "classic" way to serve this, Klink (just in case you don't know), is to buy a coupl'a cans of Wolf brand chili. Heat it up in a pan.

Then get some of the small, individually-sized bags of Frito, and some grated cheese to garnish.

You turn the bag of Fritos over so that the seam side is up. Then you rip the bag open and pour a ladle of the hot chili in, then garnish with a little grated cheese.

The deal is that you eat it with a plastic spoon right out of the bag.

Man, you'd dazzle 'em with THAT.

GREAT idea, Kel!

Edited by Jaymes (log)