• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Trash Delicacies

col klink

my first post!

this is a late entry to this thread, but a friend of mine once stumbled upon a recipe for tiramisu involving Hostess Twinkies and instant coffee.

yuh-uhm.

Wow. Twinkie Tiramisu. :laugh:

That'd be worth a lot just for the name factor alone!!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Twinkimisu! Hehehehehe.

... I'm drunk.

... again.

----------------------------------------------

Twinkimisu!

1 box of Twinkies (10 each)

16 oz of Ricotta Cheese

8 oz of Marscapone Cheese

1 lb of Powdered Sugar

2 oz of Dark Rum

6 oz of Kahlua

1 Hershey's Chocolate Bar (milk or dark chocolate)

1 tablespoon of Cocoa Powder

Method:

Line a 9" x 13" x 3" pan (or similar size) with Twinkie. Distribute for even coverage. Drizzle Twinkies with Kahlua and let them soak. Next, combine Ricotta and Marscapone with a large spoon until smooth. Slowly begin to add Powdered Sugar (reserve 1/8th package of sugar for garnish) and whisk until mixture is smooth but heavy. Add Dark Rum and continue to whisk until fully combined and mixture is fuller and lighter. Taste mixture for desired sweetness (do not add more rum or Tiramisu will not set properly). Pour cheese mixture evenly over Twinkies in pan, use a soft spatula to smooth mixture and distribute in-between Twinkies and into corners. Cover and place pan in refrigerator for four hours to set. To finish, sprinkle Cocoa Powder liberally over top of Tiramisu. Then grate Chocolate Bar and drizzle shavings over the top as well. To serve, cut into pieces and dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy! For something different, try Frozen Twinkie Tiramisu by freezing overnight (just remember to cut pieces out with a hot, butter knife) it's decadent!

Edited by pixelchef (log)

I'm new here.  Lord help me, this is the first forum that I've felt compelled to respond to...

My fantasy white trash menu:

Strawberry Pretzel Salad

Chicken Ketcha-cola

Velveeta Fudge

Danger Pudding

Thank you for the Danger Pudding recipe, but would you please explain the other three items on your fantasy menu?

:smile:

the strawberries im guessing do not have aged balsamico; is that chicken cacciatore made with ketchup and coke? and could the fudge conceivably be "cheese" and chocolate? i have a friend (just to boast) in a band named Velveeta Underground and the fudge might well interest him...

kind thanks

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

I'm new here.  Lord help me, this is the first forum that I've felt compelled to respond to...

My fantasy white trash menu:

Strawberry Pretzel Salad

Chicken Ketcha-cola

Velveeta Fudge

Danger Pudding

Thank you for the Danger Pudding recipe, but would you please explain the other three items on your fantasy menu?

:smile:

the strawberries im guessing do not have aged balsamico; is that chicken cacciatore made with ketchup and coke? and could the fudge conceivably be "cheese" and chocolate? i have a friend (just to boast) in a band named Velveeta Underground and the fudge might well interest him...

kind thanks

I am not the original poster, but I can tell you what strawberry pretzel salad is.

Crushed pretzels and butter crust lightly baked followed by a layer of cream cheese, sugar and Cool Whip, topped with strawberry jello with frozen (never fresh) sliced strawbarries. Dee-lightful! But no balsamico :biggrin:

I am not the original poster, but I can tell you what strawberry pretzel salad is.

Crushed pretzels and butter crust lightly baked followed by a layer of cream cheese, sugar and Cool Whip, topped with strawberry jello with frozen (never fresh) sliced strawbarries.  Dee-lightful! But no balsamico  :biggrin:

So. How. Is that. A salad? :blink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

So. How. Is that. A salad? :blink:

Any type of jello, fruit and Cool Whip combination qualifies as "jello salad" in White Trash vernacular. For example, lemon jello made with ginger ale, pineapple, bananas and topped with a mixture of Dream Whip and pudding equals "that lemon jello salad"

No?

Hm. This is similar to what Jaymes said earlier but the pie crust threw me.

Are caesar salads and such also considered to be salads?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Hm. This is similar to what Jaymes said earlier but the pie crust threw me.

Are caesar salads and such also considered to be salads?

I think pretty much anything can be a salad including things like potato salad, macaroni salad, tuna salad, taco salad, 7 layer salad, and salad salads like caesar, tossed, etc.

Think very general blanket old-lady-pot-luck terms, not clear distinctions. (No offense to any old-lady-pot-luckers who may or may not be present, of course).

And the strawberry pretzel salad is always in a rectangular pan, like a 9x13. Never in a pie dish. :wink:

I actually went to a genuine old lady potluck yesterday. There was a pasta salad from one of those women's magazines -- shells and diced salami and halved cherry tomatoes and some green bell pepper and squares of unidentified white cheese and a generic Italian dressing. Also a sort of Waldorf salad except just apples and dressing. Deviled eggs. Fried chicken from the supermarket deli. (Because KFC didn't open early enough.)

Hmm. There's also Eight Can Casserole. Fine line sometimes between 50s LITB food and white trash food. Oddly.

Flaming Cabbage Head Weanies with Pu Pu Sauce! That's got to be a band somewhere.

Yes, that's my band. Stop flinging our name around so lightly!!!!! :angry:

I don't know... I recall an NYC White Trash party years ago, and the only standing rule was that anything you brought had to be able to be served on a Ritz cracker. (Anything tastes better when it sits on a Ritz, so sez Andy...)

If I remember properly, our donation was Hormel chili melted with a bunch o' Velveeta...

Edited by fitz (log)

An odd alien wench

If it consists of bite-size or at least small pieces of things, has some kind of binding element and is either cold, at room temperature or slightly warm its a salad.

It's the binding element (amongst other things, but especially that) I find confusing. But I think I'm getting a sense of the useage. Thanks all.

meg, that sounds completely delicious.

elyse, it actually is pretty tasty. :laugh: But very, very, very sweet. My mom loves the stuff and makes it from time to time, still!

Another dessert that might fit this thread is the layered dessert of chocolate wafers and whipped cream.

I think anything with Cool Whip is probably considered White Trash food, too.

Question: Would Toad in the Hole, Bangers n Mash, Chip Butties and such constitute White Trash Delicacies?

Would the Bisquick Velvet Crumb Cake count as white trash food?

I spend 9 years of my childhood in Saginaw, MI (we were fairly poor towards the end of that time) and we ate bisquick-based items often, because it was cheap. Those pigs in a blanket were one of them (bisquick biscuits instead of crescent rolls).

Thank goodness I had homemade bread and homegrown vegetables to counteract that.

Another dessert that might fit this thread is the layered dessert of chocolate wafers and whipped cream.

That was my birthday cake for years.

Me too! :biggrin:

Mine was in the shape of my avatar.