• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Trash Delicacies

col klink

Kraft cheese slices and ketchup sandwiches (Wonder bread).

Strubb's pickles wrapped in cold cuts.

English muffin pizzas (english muffin, canned sauce, a cheese slice, sliced up "pepperettes").

I think I have enough old recipes to do a completely soda menu. There's Dr Pepper baked beans, both Coca Cola ham and Duck a la Vernors, and multiple cakes and congealed salads using Coke and 7-Up. Marketing depts were much more free-spirited in the past.

. . . and Duck a la Vernors . . .

Please, do tell! Though I think duck is a little too high brow for this event, I'm stil interested.

Jaymes, there have been so many great ideas, I can't decide! I really hade no idea that this thread would explode into so many great recipes. :wacko:

I got two great horse doovers for you

1. Crab dip: Smear cream cheese on a large dinner plate, top with coctail suace and canned crab meat. Serve with ritz crackers and dip away!

2. Dried beef rolls: Dry dill pickle with paper towels and smack a load of cream cheese on them. Wrap with dried beef, cut into rounds, and stab with a toothpick. These are actually tasty.

If only I could remember the recipe for lemonade salad. I remember powdered Countrytime, Cool Whip, and graham cracker crumbs. Big hit with grandma.

9 out of 10 dentists recommend wild Alaska salmon.

Avant garde white trash dinner entree celebrating the end of Nascar season.

Government cheese gratinee of spam, wonder bread pudding with canned button mushrooms and pabst blue ribbon emulsion.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

I've seen Spam mentioned a lot, but didn't notice if anyone suggested you apply your mad smoking skillz to it. Smoked Spam sounds downright goormay, perhaps served with one of those mustard-based BBQ sauces on Wonder bread.

. . . and Duck a la Vernors . . .

Please, do tell! Though I think duck is a little too high brow for this event, I'm stil interested.

I think the point is that when the bearer of the dish asks who wants, you duck. :raz:

Funeral potatoes . . .

Are those a specific variety or the name of the recipe? Either way I need to explanation!

edit: Welcome hannahcooks!

Edited by col klink (log)

Keep it simple. Just make White Trash.

White Trash

2 cups Chex cereal

2 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal

2 cups peanuts

2 cups M&M's

3 bags white chocolate chips

Mix together all ingredients except chips.

Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave and then pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients.

Lay the mixture flat on cookie sheets and refrigerate until hardened.

[Note: you may want to use a couple of cookie sheets so that the hardened mixture is thin, or else it will be a bit hard to break up.]

Remove from refrigerator and break the mixture apart.

And, um, ya can get all fancy n' stuff with this recipe n' make it gourmet. It's jes' like, a steppin' stone, ya know?

I hesitate to divulge the recipe for danger pudding. Because, much like the name, it is dangerous (pause for spooky music).

1) Under cover of darkness, in grocery store five miles from your normal shopping location, where no one will recognize you, purchase one can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk

2) Upon arriving home, remove disguise.

3) Clean outside of can throughly.

4) Place can (unopened mind you) into a large pot of boiling water. Slam on a tight fitting lid. Boil it for at least an hour- I prefer to go about two hours but the wait can be a bit nerve wracking.

5) Open can. Insert spoon.

Of course, the danger is the strong likelyhood that during the boiling time, the can will explode. If this does happen, don't bother trying to clean up the mess. Just pack your belongings and move to a new town. It will be much much easier that way.

You have been warned.

There is a much less exciting way to accomplish the same thing--reduce in a double boiler. But without the frisson of danger, hardly seems worth it.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I believe you can safely cook a can by keeping it well submerged, simmering rather than boiling (?), and NEVER open the can straight out of the pot. You must let it cool.

And what's wrong with Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk?