• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Trash Delicacies

col klink

no, no....this is my favorite:;

Lil' Smokies (cocktail-sized smoked sausages) cooked in a crockpot in a mixture of grape jelly and chili sauce for 6 to 8 hours.

If you want to get gourmet-crazy, you use blackberry jam with seeds instead of grape jelly.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

From National Lampoon's Vacation...

"I don't know why they call this stuff Hamburger Helper. It works just fine by itself."

"Real tomato ketchup, Eddie?"

"Nothing but the best!"

Kelli

From National Lampoon's Vacation...

"I don't know why they call this stuff Hamburger Helper.  It works just fine by itself."

"Real tomato ketchup, Eddie?"

"Nothing but the best!"

Ahh, someone got it.... :biggrin:

Okay, folks. How many people have actually prepared or eaten the things they've posted about here?

My family of five shared one Cowboy Sandwich (being, in this case, the bottom half of the hamburger bun with the spam/velveeta mixture spread on top), and there were leftovers. Peter and Heidi were young enough that they could go "gaak" and spit (hork) the stuff out on the floor and it didn't seem too uncouth. Diana, Paul and I quietly swallowed (gagged) and then brushed our teeth.

Onto the congealed salad topic, somewhere in this place, I have a circa 1963 Jello grocery store pamphlet-style cookbook. I recall seeing recipes that called for celery jello. Celery Jello?????

Celery jello? I wasnt aware of avant garde white trash cuisine. One may go all the way with a frito chili pie sno cone.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

And then there would be the whole world of State Fair food-on-a-stick. I vote for the deep-fried dill pickle (battered, of course) on a stick, as served (but not tasted) at the MN State Fair last summer.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

avant garde white trash dish for the chinese new year celebration:

Top Ramen crusted Gortons Fish Sticks with jiffy peanut butter emulsion, saltine cracker puree and hot dog rinds.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

avant garde white trash dish for the chinese new year celebration:

Top Ramen crusted Gortons Fish Sticks with jiffy peanut butter emulsion, saltine cracker puree and hot dog rinds.

That's just evil...

Kelli

Out of the blue, a few minutes ago:

Paul: "My boss's wife offered to share a recipe featuring picante sauce and grape jelly.

Susan's ears perk up. "So, what did she do with these two ingredients?"

Paul: "I declined the offer.""

I'm intrigued...

Edited by snowangel (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

And then there would be the whole world of State Fair food-on-a-stick.  I vote for the deep-fried dill pickle (battered, of course) on a stick, as served (but not tasted) at the MN State Fair last summer.

I was recently in Minnesota and after seeing A Cook's Tour in the Twin Cities, all I wanted to see in the Mall of America was the MN State Fair restaurant in the food court so I could see the deep fried pickle, the deep fried cheese curds, the deep fried fish on a stick and most importantly of all, the deep fried cheese cake on a stick.

I am very irritated to report that that restaurant is no more.

I put up with the inanity of America's largest mall for naught. :angry:

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

How about shrimp dip -- a staple of 1970's Gulf Coast parties

Can of cream of shrimp soup, can of Rotel tomatoes (with chilis), chunk of Velveeta, frozen shrimp.

Heat and serve w/ Fritos.....

:blink::blink::blink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

rack of spam. take 2 cans of spam and butt them together in a baking dish. make partial slices and insert chunks of velveeta in between. bake until things get gooey. from the white trash cookbook, i forget which volume. i swear i never tried it! it has stuck with me since i first saw it while browsing through a bookshop in new hope, pa.

Baked beans - the kind you doctor up with bacon and catsup and vinegar and brown sugar and dash of yeller mustard.

Hey! Where'd ya git my Mom's recipe?!?!?!

(why, oh why isn't there a one-toothed smilie?)

Crystal

We like the mooooon........Coz it is close to us...........

Cowboy sandwiches.  Grind spam and velveeta, smear on squishy white bread buns, broil open faced.

Whoa! That's the first recipe on this thread that thoroughly grossed me out. Damn! That sounds nasty! :laugh::laugh:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Peg Bracken's "I hate to cook book"

..." Fancy ingredients are replaced by cans of condensed soup, baked beans, and crushed corn flakes"...

Sweep Steak

2-3 lbs. of a cheap roast, or blade steak

1 package onion soup mix

Put the meat on a big sheet of aluminum foil. Sprinkle the soup mix on top & fold the foil, airtight, around it. Put in a baking pan & bake at 300 degrees F. for 3 hours (or 200 degrees F. for 9 hours; it doesn't matter). If desired, open it up an hour or so before it's done & surround it with potatoes & carrots.

Also, you can pour 1 can of undiluted condensed mushroom soup on over the onion soup mix. Makes a nice gravy.

What a great thread!

Haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

So, Klink, whacha leaning towards?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.