• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Trash Delicacies

col klink

On July 5th I've been invited to a "White Trash Party" wherein everyone will be bringing a dish suitable to the name. I believe there will be a number of toaster ovens. I guess the theme is the more processed food the better, which means less work for me. Unfortunately I'm having a difficult time coming up with ingenious/humorous solutions. I'd like to do something more than just macaroni and cheese.

Any suggestions?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Also think of tater tots, french fried onions, anything with hot dogs in it, Twinkies (a Twinkie trifle), marshmallows, potato chip topping, Cheez Whiz, Cheese in a Can, canned fruit cocktail, or anything else that is incredibly processed.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Seafoam Salad.

Or, for that matter, any congealed salad.

And several different kinds of ice box pie.

Actually, I can get my White Trash Cooking, and mention several things that would be appropriate.

Remember the vodka in the watermelon thing? I'd think that'd count.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

country white trash or city white trash? i'm familiar with the former, havin' been one a them. these here bring back memories.......

fried quail with pan gravy. i'd suggest squirrel, but...um....that could get you arrested at this time of year!

scalloped potatos

fried green tomatos

cucmber and onion pickles (sweet or sour or sweet and sour!)

chicken casserole (leftover chicken stretched a second day with hard-boiled eggs, mushroom soup, celery, and cracker crumbs). you can have some fun with the ingredients, just make sure the top's cracker crumbs.

corn bread

green bean casserole (the one with the mushroom soup, too!)

head cheese. yummy!

fried whole catfish

hard-boild egg sandwiches, or fried egg sandwiches

saltine crackers and milk (a favorite sunday dinner for my family)

something stuffed in celery as an appetizer (here, you can get creative!)

i was gonna suggest oscar mayer sandwich spread, but i'm not sure they even make that any more!

swiss steak (take a look at the 'round steak' thread) with brown gravy

all childhood memories from a white trash upbringin'! no wonder i'm warped......

have fun!

matt

Go to this page on the Southern Culture on the Skids website for some great recipes, including "Tangwich" (sandwich of Marshmallow Fluff and Tang), a Brisket Sandwich (chipped ham, BBQ sauce, Pepsi and Wonder Bread), Mudbog (beer and chocolate milk), and other favorites!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Peanut Butter & Banana & Potato Chip Sandwiches

Baked beans - the kind you doctor up with bacon and catsup and vinegar and brown sugar and dash of yeller mustard.

Fried Rabbit (or 'coon or squirrel or 'gator tail)

Sweet Potato Pie

Corn Pudding

Sweet Potato Pone. Or Corn Pone. Or any other kind of Pone. Or Hush Puppies.

Ambrosia (made with canned mandarin oranges, canned pineapple chunks, jar of maraschino cherries, shredded coconut, sliced 'nanners, and them perty little bitty colored marshmallows)

Grits

Sloppy Joes (see my recipe in the archives)

Macaroni salad. Especially with cut up weenies in it.

That really trashy salad you make with cottage cheese, and a package of dry jello mix and a can of crushed pineapple.

Oh my -

So many good choices.

The mind boggles.

As does the tummy.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

deep fried Mars or Snickers bars

marshmallow fluff and peanut butter sandwiches

bug juice (aka Kool Aid)

Jason beat me to it though, by a long shot

any Jello salad

Pop Tarts napoleons with Cool Whip topping in place of creme fraiche

:blink:

Soba

I remember being in a car driving somewhere with a former boss of mine (this was a long time ago) as he was describing a favorite dish his wife would make. As best I can remember, it was one of those layered jello things but I think mayonaisse was involved. And I'm sure it wasn't one of those home made gourmet mayos either.

Also, at least 10 years ago, maybe more, there was a book out called White Trash Cooking with real recipes and everything.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Tomato Sandwiches.

Actually, Klink, this is what you should do:

Take a bag of delicious just-picked, fresh-from-the-garden, ripe tomatoes, a jar of Miracle Whip and a loaf of Wonder Bread.

Make everyone stand by the kitchen sink. Smear the white bread with Miracle Whip, then top with thick slices of the tomatoes, and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper.

The deal is to eat these while leaning over the sink as the tomato juice runs down your arms to your elbows.

Now that's some good white trash eatin'.

(I guess it'd be "too much" if you rented a house trailer and hauled it up into the front yard so everyone could have this experience in the most authentic location.)

Edited by Jaymes (log)