• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

office food

I'm in a weird setup, where I have a small locker that my laptop & papers & such go into every day, so I don't have much. I do have a granola bar and a few Peppridge Farm cookies in there, though. I need to bring some nuts in though. I also tend to bring string cheese with me, but I can't leave it in the fridge for more then a day or two, b/c someone keeps throwing it out. :angry: Oh, yeah, there's some instant oatmeal in there, too.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Thank God I work at home.

Back when I did work in an office, however, I pursued a rigorous strategy of not keeping snacks around. This, I surmised, would surely help avoid unnecessary weight gain. In addition, given the expense and calorie-count of eating restaurant or cafeteria food for lunch every day, I decided it would make sense to bring my lunch.

This plan was a complete failure. I would invariably repurpose my lunch as a mid-morning snack, then have a restaurant or cafeteria lunch anyway, and eat all the snacks from other people's desks during the afternoon.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I would invariably repurpose my lunch as a mid-morning snack...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I inexplicably have an ancient can of Progresso "Classic" lentil soup.  The label is yellowish.

The classics never go out of style.

I, too, have a growing base of take-out packets of Texas Pete, s&p, canned tuna, various pieces of fruit (usually apples & bananas), balsamic & red wine vinegars, garlic pepper & ground cinnamon. Recently I've begun collecting the various brands of breath strips, too.

most of the food on my desk is stuck in between the keys of my keyboard.

i empathise with all those "back in the days when i had an office" comments. my very first job was in Hong Kong and i had an office overlooking the harbour. i was 21. i've never had an office or a view (to speak of) since.

"repurpose my lunch" sounds horribly familiar too :laugh:

Does whiskey count as food?

My old boss kept a fifth of Crown Royal in his desk drawer. :rolleyes:

When I worked, I kept condiment packets (ketchup and the like), root beer barrels, Altoids, and usually Oreo cookies and some sort of trail mix in mine.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I once worked with a guy who kept a bottle of creme de menthe on premises in the mistaken belief that his supervisors and co-workers would think he was just eating peppermints.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Olive oil with chili and garlic, for when I buy a ficelle and a salami down the street for lunch. A knife to slice the salami (or some cheese). Goldfish in bulk (stored scattered on the floor, I actually import them from the office kitchen downstairs); on a busy day it can look like a bizarre salmon run on my blue office carpet. Salt and pepper. Protein bars during odd cycles when I actually get to the gym regularly.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

One of my former office-mates was a home-brewer. That made for some interesting lapses in productivity.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

One of my former office-mates was a home-brewer. That made for some interesting lapses in productivity.

I used to work for a guy from Grenoble. He kept a bottle of Armagnac in his drawer. Occasionally he would share.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

watermelon-flavoured Jolly Ranchers...

In the distant days when I actually had a job....watermelon and green apple Jolly Ranchers were the two items I always had in the bottom drawer...

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

In the distant days when I actually had a job....watermelon and green apple Jolly Ranchers were the two items I always had in the bottom drawer...

Me, too, until I discovered Chupa-Chups.

The lollipops? With cows on the label?

Me, too, until I discovered Chupa-Chups.

The lollipops? With cows on the label?

The world's best lollipop. No cows. In fact (pay attention, Lily, my Art History-major friend), their logo, a stylized clover, was designed by none other than Salvadore Dali.

Chupa Chups web site -- worth a look. (Men especially will want to check out the illustration that accompanies the "creamy" flavor selections.)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I have a fridge in my office, so it really lets me stock up. I have a few low cal bottled dressings, for when I eat from the building complex's shared cafeteria. I have three 1/2 bottles of Sparkling Wine, and two bottles of orange label Vueve Cliquot, mini juice boxes, cans of Diet Coke, REgular Coke, Pelligrino, lemons, limes and right now, Cherries. Also some horseradish mustard , olives, mini candy bars. In my desk, I have 2 bottles of Ca Cabernet, Johhny Walker Black, packets of salt, Twizzlers, pretzels and Vegetable Thins Crackers. And a case of more VC...when a client signs a contract on a new home, I give them a bottle. I give them a cold bottle if they seem the type that will want to open it right away and celebrate..plus I have those plastic tulip glasses.

I have a fridge in my office, so it really lets me stock up.

Hey, that's cheating!

I'm just jealous...I'd gladly trade my desk drawer for a fridge, any day. :laugh:

It's only because I often work weekends and at night..and I find that having all this on hand keeps my clients in the office, during that critical time they are considering making an offer on a home ( I am a real Estate agent). For example, I am waiting for buyers to come in at 6pm, and I'll offer them something to drink, ply the kids with juice boxes and candy,( I have toys and coloring books and crayons, too) and hopefully get 10 minutes of their undivided attention to review the contract and get it signed. The JWB really helps for that! just joking!!! :laugh::raz::shock: