• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best place to buy crabs in Balto?

altar-ego

• 1 month later...

I hate to say it, but yes, you should boycott them. I saw them for $15 for a dozen the other day. If that's any indication of their scarcity, we should stay away from them. 15 years ago they were about $45/BUSHEL! And that was for #1s.

We can't let this delicacy go the way of the dodo.... not that dodos were particularly good eating.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

While I agree with the idea of a boycott, you should be aware that some of the MD crab houses are most likely selling Texas and Louisiana crabs, so the impact isn't quite as it appears. That said, vigorous advocacy in defense of the Chesapeake's blue crab population is both a wise and noble act.

If you are dead set on having some crabs, Gunnings Crab House (S. Hanover St., Baltimore) is pretty well-known, well-respected, and serves (I hate these, but others seem to like them) green pepper rings--like onion rings, but sweet. Also, Bill's Terrace Inn in Essex.

Our experience at Obrycki's, another well-known crab house, was so negative that we've never been back. We took a bunch of out-of-town guests, who ordered a variety of dishes. The food was below expectations for almost everyone. When the manager asked us how our meal was, and we all pretty much responded by saying "not that good, actually," he really seemed not to care. It was very disappointing. As we eat a huge number of meals out for business and social reasons, and have a nice selection in Baltimore, not to mention D.C., I can't see us ever going back there.